Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Chris <cl...@trefs.com> on 2003/06/19 00:38:28 UTC

Conceptual Question

I notice that in my code, my stub class and my impl class are generated on a
per-binding basis. For each binding, I get one stub and one impl. I only
have one binding so far but I'm using the class names to guess at the
relationship, which seems safe.

Now, this makes perfect sense for the stubs -- one invisible helper class
per protocol. However, I don't see why it makes sense for the impl class.
Currently I have no interest in writing more than one binding, nor do I
fully understand what doing so would mean. But it seems to me that if I have
a SOAP binding and, I don't know, an HTTP GET binding, then I shouldn't have
to (re)write an impl class for each type.

Isn't this the job of the server side dispatcher code (AxisServlet), to
unmarshal the incoming data based on protocol and then call a single impl
class, which would be shared by the different protocols? This looks like WS
101, yet Axis (or perhaps just Wsdl2Java) doesn't support it.

What's going on?

Chris Lalos
Senior Software Engineer
Tax Refund Express