Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Harper, Brad" <br...@epsiia.com> on 2008/11/13 18:27:18 UTC

buildnumber plugin

For anyone who has experience with the buildnumber plugin ...

The only examples that I see bind the execution of the plugin to the
'validation' phase of the build lifecycle.

For my purpose, it makes sense to have a build number attached to the
artifact, but only when deployed to an internal remote repository from
where it [the artifact] is to be distributed/shared.

In that case, I'd want to bind the execution to the 'deploy' phase. But
I'd like to have the build number injected into war/jar manifest [as
shown in a sample on the mojo's usage page]. I'm supposing that this
action will be handled by the maven-war-plugin [or maven-jar-plugin, for
that matter] during the 'package' phase by default.

So I'm concluding that I must bind the buildnumber plugin to an
execution during the 'package' phase [or earlier] in order to have the
manifest meta-data set.

Is this thinking correct, since $buildNumber won't be available until
the buildnumber plugin is run?

Would I be forced to use a profile to include the build number in
<finalName> only when deploying?

Regards,
Brad

RE: buildnumber plugin

Posted by "Harper, Brad" <br...@epsiia.com>.
> ;) It is not possible to install to a local repository or
> deploy to a remote repository with another name, afaik.

So are you saying that the artifact can be generated such that its name
includes a value generated by the plugin, but that I can't install or
deploy the artifact with that name?

Brad

Re: buildnumber plugin

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@gmail.com>.