Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Ray Klassen <rk...@mccscs.com> on 2005/11/30 01:05:20 UTC

Spamd inscrutability. Does it ever look at a user_prefs file?

Spamassassin 3.04 with SQL support.

I'm trying to set up a global textbased or MYSQL based whitelist. I want
to be able to support *wildcards*  I am able to add specific addresses
to the AWL using spamassassin --add-addr-to-whitelist but when I've used
wildcards for some of our desired senders, they seemed to have been
ignored.

I'd like to keep it simple with
whitelist_from_rcvd   *@somedomain.com    somedomain.com

in the local.cf file.

spamd is running with

SPAMD_OPTS="-x -q -Q -H /var/lib/spamassassin/nobody --max-children 5"

and exim is calling spamc with the user nobody.

so I edited the table user_prefs in the mysql database, adding a record
that says

username nobody
preference whitelist_from_rcvd
value  *@somedomain.com    somedomain.com

I ran spamd with -D and it seems to have connected with the MYSQL server
for user prefs as it certainly did for AWL entries and Bayes tokens, but
the spam score on the mail message should certainly go down if the email
address is really whitelisted. If I use the AWL it goes down to -50 when
I use the --add-addr-to-whitelist flag. So I expect a good healthy minus
quantity on a wildcard whitelisting but It never seems to happen.

I recently migrated from a spamd config as follows. This one had no
MYSQL server

-u Debian-exim -x --virtual-config-dir /var/lib/spamassassin/%u
--create-prefs --max-children 5 --helper-home-dir

I put whitelist_from_rcvd in all kinds of files and they all seemed to
be ignored, too.

Is it a function of running spamd with -x? if so why did it never read
local.cf?

-Q is supposed to give you mysql user_prefs functionality with -x

Any pointers?

Re: Spamd inscrutability. Does it ever look at a user_prefs file?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Ray Klassen wrote:
> Spamassassin 3.04 with SQL support.
>
> I'm trying to set up a global textbased or MYSQL based whitelist. I want
> to be able to support *wildcards*  I am able to add specific addresses
> to the AWL using spamassassin --add-addr-to-whitelist but when I've used
> wildcards for some of our desired senders, they seemed to have been
> ignored.
>
> I'd like to keep it simple with
> whitelist_from_rcvd   *@somedomain.com    somedomain.com
>
> in the local.cf file.
>
> spamd is running with

1) did you re-start spamd after editing local.cf?

2) are you sure that you have the correct second-half for the rcvd part?

3) are you sure your trusted_networks is set (or auto-guessed by SA) correctly?

You can check 2 and 3 by switching to a whitelist_from temporarily. If it starts
matching you either don't have the right rcvd part, or your trusted_networks
might need changing.