Posted to dev@bookkeeper.apache.org by Ivan Kelly <iv...@apache.org> on 2014/10/23 11:01:48 UTC

BookKeeper vs. Bookkeeper

Hi folks,

Now that we are going top level, we have a chance to fix something
that has been bugging me since I started working on the project; the
superfluously capitalization of K in the name. The word 'bookkeeper'
is a single word. The norms of capitalization, in written language,
and also in CamelCase, dictate that only the first letter of a word
should ever be capitalized. What's more, since people are familiar
with this, the lean towards doing this, only remembering to add the K
some of the time. So we end up in the following situation.

ivank@trainmoney-ll ~/src/bookkeeper Thu Oct
23 10:45:31 [0 jobs] [hist 10099]
$ find . -name *.java -exec grep Bookkeeper {} \; | wc -l
763
ivank@trainmoney-ll ~/src/bookkeeper Thu Oct
23 10:45:36 [0 jobs] [hist 10100]
$ find . -name *.java -exec grep BookKeeper {} \; | wc -l
682

In the code, Bookkeeper is actually more common.

The word bookkeeper is hard enough to type, with 3 consecutive double
letters, without having a random capitalization in the middle.

Does this annoy anyone else? Should we kill the K?

Regards
Ivan

Re: BookKeeper vs. Bookkeeper

Posted by Rakesh Radhakrishnan <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 for BookKeeper :)

HDFS has a contrib module named BKJM (BookKeeperJournalManager), I think
bunch of people already familiar with BK acronym.

-Rakesh

Posted by Rakesh Radhakrishnan <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 for BookKeeper :)

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
no strong preference about this. I could live with both of them.

Posted by Uma Maheswara Rao G <ha...@gmail.com>.
+1 for BookKeeper

Regards,
Uma