Posted to users@cxf.apache.org by Brad O'Hearne <br...@bighillsoftware.com> on 2008/11/08 06:11:38 UTC

Need Maven dependencies for CXF 2.2 using Jax-rs

All,

If anyone knows the required dependencies (and versions), and any
required repositories to build CXF 2.2 with Jax-RS (RESTful services)
using Maven, I'd greatly appreciate it.

A kind suggestion: I've been using CXF and Jax-RS stuff for around a
year now, and every time there's been a mild breeze blow which has in
any way affected CXF configuration or building in Maven, simple
upgrading to the latest version has resulted in a several day plunge
down the rabbit hole to figure out how to build / configure again. It
would be a great improvement to the release process if at the very
least the build / configuration documentation was updated with the
latest release. Restated, don't release the code without the build /
configuration doc updated. When confronted with this yet again today,
despite the fact I have no need or desire to move away from CXF, I
spent several hours researching alternatives so that I could avoid
having to go through this again.

Thanks -- any help you can give with the question above would be
greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Brad

Brad O'Hearne
Owner / Developer
Big Hill Software
ph.480.280.1468
fx.888.600.8806
brado@bighillsoftware.com
http://www.bighillsoftware.com

Re: Need Maven dependencies for CXF 2.2 using Jax-rs

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Monday 10 November 2008 1:15:54 pm Brad O'Hearne wrote:
> Well, I guess throw the idea around with the other developers. If I'm
> not an intrusion, I'd be happy to pitch in when I can.

Patches to problems are never an intrusion.  New ideas and discussions are
also great.   That's how a project moves forward.

Seriously, we have commiters here that commit almost everyday (like myself).
I'm paid to work on CXF (if I don't get sidetracked with other things like
going to ApacheCon) so I'm  definitely a busier one here.    However,  there
are also commiters that commit a change very infrequently.    Many of them
are/were users that found enough bugs and submitted fixes that they were
granted committership because fixing bugs is important.   They've also helped
answer questions on the lists (which you also do) and in general, have helped
out CXF.   We definitely don't demand a 40 hour work week.   :-)

One "problem" a larger project like CXF does have is "tracking" who supplied
useful patches.   Maybe I applied 2 of your patches, Benson applied a couple,
Sergey a couple, Eoghan a couple,  etc....    We may have collectively not
realized how much has been submitted.   If that does happen, I apologize, but
definitely suggest pinging one of us and just mention it and ask what else do
folks suggest to help you get more involve.    Such a ping usually can
trigger a review and possibly a vote.

Anyway, I definitely want to encourage you to log any issues and attach
patches.   Heck, even samples and documentation are a HUGE help.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Need Maven dependencies for CXF 2.2 using Jax-rs

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Brad,

You may have an unrealistically high expectation of the workload of
committers :-) Many of us committers have constrained bandwidth.
However, there's a very broad middle ground between being 'just a
user' and being a committer. 'co' a tree, do analysis, post patches to
JIRAs. That's (part of) what we'd ask you to do if you wanted to be
come a committer, anyway. If JAX-RS is important enough to you to put
in some time improving the code or doc of CXF, you can do that on as
small of a scale as appeals to you.

--benson

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 12:15 PM, Brad O'Hearne

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <se...@progress.com>.
Hi,

> Sergey,
>

>> Do you suggest us keeping the history of all changes which have been  done to the configuration ? So that you can look at the
>> page and  locate the description of your
>
> That's up to you -- in general it would help to have config doc per  version. But if unable to do that, or if it creates too much
> documentation overhead in getting releases out, just make sure that  the doc is accurate for the current release (and I suppose if
> it is,  then there is no overhead for past versions, just keep the old version  of the doc with the old release each time it is
> updated for a new  version).

At the moment we don't do it with the apache cxf, it's only wiki which reflects the current configuration. Users of (CXF) Fuse can
expect what you suggested. I think we can just keep an explicit history of changes - it might help.

>> I'm wondering how CXF tests using @Produces and @Consumes compile ?  Check your classpath please, I bet you still have an older
>> jaxrs api  hanging around...
>
> I'm absolutely positive that these don't compile on my machine, and I  do not have older jaxrs API's in my classpath -- this
> compilation was  on a new project which never referenced anything but the newer  version. I've never referenced the older version
> in this project --  ever -- though I am building with maven, perhaps there's some funny  business in the pom's or something.

I'm sorry - not sure what's happening - there's only a dependency on 1.0 in 2.2-SNAPSHOT

>> it does, Honestly - I regret people like yourself who submitted a  bunch of good patches are not CXF committers yet, as Dan
>> mentioned  in his recent email, otherwise we'd have more hands and much better  docs :-).
>
> I don't know if this is due to something on your end, or on mine --  I've certainly never requested to be a committer, and that
> was  probably due to courtesy -- I didn't want to communicate an  unrealistic expectation of development time available on my end.
> If  you are saying that you want me to be a committer, then let me know,  and what would be expected in doing so, and perhaps it
> is something  which would be useful. I'm pretty much jax-rs bound in my projects  right now, so I can give good feedback in that
> portion of the project.

At a time you were supplying patches I was not a commiter myself :-).
Here's what I think. Yourself, like few other CXF JAXRS users have everything to become commiters as you have a clear idea of how
the documentation should look like, you submitted a bunch of patches and you know a lot about JAXRS. But then you disappeared from a
radar :-)
Dan can say more about it all but I think there's no expectation that most commiters will have to meet some targets. Dan and I guess
myself and other commiters can nominate CXF users as long as we can see they're involved at a regular basis, one way or the other
(say answering to user requests or doing some doc suggestions, or supplying patches).

So I do hope to see yourself (and indeed others who supplied patches) a bit more often on a CXF user list now that you started
looking at CXF 2.2-SNAPSHOT :-)

> Btw, I am also an author, currently writing articles, and one thing  which would be HUGE would be some good articles on using CXF.
> Myself,  I'd actually like to know more what is going on underneath the hood of  CXF.

Articles would be welcome indeed. That would be good indeed. I'd be happy to provide you with feedback/reviews. Let me know if you
need any help. I can think of a number of topics but starting with CXF JAXRS+Spring which show how to use all the JAXRS providers
and CXF filters or CXF JAXRS+JAXWS would be super.

Thanks, Sergey

Posted by Brad O'Hearne <br...@bighillsoftware.com>.
Sergey,

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <se...@progress.com>.

> On documentation:
>
> - There is literally one line in the RESTFul Services / Jax-rs section  which references the existence of a 2.2 version and the
> extent jax-rs  compatibility / support.

There's no 2.2 version yet - it's still SNAPSHOT and it's been updated to support 1.0 only a couple of weeks ago.

> - Nowhere does it list specific dependencies for jax-rs.
>
> - Even in the How-to build your cxf project with maven section, where  it supposedly shows all dependencies possible, there is no
> listing of  the jax-rs dependency in there.
>
> - The maven repository you mentioned below is not listed in the  pom.xml in the How-to / build / maven mentioned previously.

sure, I'll fix it

> - The beans.xml file in the Configuring jax-rs services for Spring  section has a bug in it. There are conficting ID's used by the
> jaxrs:server and customerService bean.

thanks for pointing it out

> - Nowhere is there mentioned any progress on dependency SNAPSHOTS or  current repositories for locating these.
>
> - In the past, there have been jax-rs configuration / usage changes in  newer versions -- these were not documented.

Do you suggest us keeping the history of all changes which have been done to the configuration ? So that you can look at the page
and locate the description of your currently outdated configuration syntax ? At one point of time we had <jaxrs:entityProviders>

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <se...@iona.com>.
Hi Brad

I've started updating the documentation to start addressing some of your
concerns

The typo in the configuration example has been fixed, added Maven
Dependencies (your input will be welcome there) and Migrating from 0.8 to
1.0. With more to come

Thanks, Sergey

Posted by Brad O'Hearne <br...@bighillsoftware.com>.
On documentation:

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sergey,

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Monday 10 November 2008 6:57:17 am Sergey Beryozkin wrote:
> Hi
>
> > All,
> >
> > If anyone knows the required dependencies (and versions), and any
> > required repositories to build CXF 2.2 with Jax-RS (RESTful services)
> > using Maven, I'd greatly appreciate it.
>
> As far as CXF is concerned, in 2.2-SNAPSHOT, compared to versions starting
> from 2.1.2, the following dependencies have changed :
>
> 1. javax.ws.rs/jsr311-api/0.8 -> javax.ws.rs/jsr311-api/1.0
>
> it's available from
>
> <repository>
>             <id>java.net.2</id>
>             <name>Java Net 2 Repository</name>
>             <url>http://download.java.net/maven/2</url>
> </repository>
>
> AFAIK, JAXRS team have changed the maven repo starting from 0.8, so if
> you're migrating from CXF with versions earlier than 2.1.2 you might see
> artifact download problems.

Actually, I've copied this to central.   There should be no need for java.net
repo for CXF anymore.   If you see anything at java.net that is needed, let
me know and I'll get it copied to central.    I don't trust java.net anymore
(they tend to change released jars, which is a big no-no) and would prefer to
push things to central and grab from there.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Need Maven dependencies for CXF 2.2 using Jax-rs

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <se...@progress.com>.
Hi

> All,
>
> If anyone knows the required dependencies (and versions), and any
> required repositories to build CXF 2.2 with Jax-RS (RESTful services)
> using Maven, I'd greatly appreciate it.

As far as CXF is concerned, in 2.2-SNAPSHOT, compared to versions starting from 2.1.2, the following dependencies have changed :

1. javax.ws.rs/jsr311-api/0.8 -> javax.ws.rs/jsr311-api/1.0

it's available from

<repository>
            <id>java.net.2</id>
            <name>Java Net 2 Repository</name>
            <url>http://download.java.net/maven/2</url>
</repository>

AFAIK, JAXRS team have changed the maven repo starting from 0.8, so if you're migrating from CXF with versions earlier than 2.1.2
you might see artifact download problems.

2. org.apache.cxf/cxf-rt-databinding-aegis/2.2-SNAPSHOT added - compile

Some other changes across CXF (http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cxf/trunk/parent/pom.xml)

- Spring dependencies have changed from 2.0.8 in 2.1.x to 2.5.6
- javax.xml.bind/jaxb-api/2.1
- com.sun.xml.bind/jaxb-impl/2.1.7

I'm not aware of any other significant changes which might affect JAXRS implementation.
Does it help ? Any specific problems you're still seeing ?

> A kind suggestion: I've been using CXF and Jax-RS stuff for around a
> year now

thanks :-) !

. and every time there's been a mild breeze blow which has in
> any way affected CXF configuration or building in Maven, simple
> upgrading to the latest version has resulted in a several day plunge
> down the rabbit hole to figure out how to build / configure again. It
> would be a great improvement to the release process if at the very
> least the build / configuration documentation was updated with the
> latest release. Restated, don't release the code without the build /
> configuration doc updated.

Your suggestions are welcome and we'll try do do it right for 2.2 once it's released. I think Dan is doing a lot of work in this
regard but capturing version and repository changes would be good indeed.
In meantime please send a message to a user list whenever you have any issues and we'll try our best to help.

> When confronted with this yet again today,
> despite the fact I have no need or desire to move away from CXF, I
> spent several hours researching alternatives so that I could avoid
> having to go through this again.

I'd really hate to see users like yourself who've helped us to push CXF JAX-RS implementation to its current level go (still not
rock-solid but in a much better shape than it used to be), same way as I hate seeing users who've just quickly tried it and decided
to look elsewhere. From our perspective we know though that users are totally free to choose so we have really one option - just
keep working and make it work well and I know we'll get there. It's important for users to understand that we're committed to seeing
CXF as a platform capable of accommodating and mixing different styles of services. Likewise we'll think hard on how to make CXF