Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org> on 2010/03/16 04:28:46 UTC

lucene and solr trunk

Due to a tremendous amount of work by our newly merged committer
corps, the get-on-lucene-trunk branch (branches/solr) is ready for
prime-time as the new solr trunk!  Lucene and Solr need to move to a
common trunk for a host of reasons, including single patches that can
cover both, shared tags and branches, and shared test code w/o a test
jar.

The current Lucene trunk is: .../lucene/java/trunk
The current Solr trunk is: .../lucene/solr/trunk

So, we have a few options on where to put Solr's new trunk:

Lucene moves to Solr's trunk:
  /solr/trunk, /solr/trunk/lucene

Solr moves to Lucene's trunk:
  /java/trunk, /java/trunk/solr

Both projects move to a new trunk:
  /something/trunk/java, /something/trunk/solr

-Yonik

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.
Where would the modules live?

I'm not sure if I sent it on this thread or somewhere else, but what about
my proposal to have all three sitting under their own directories, w/ their
own trunk/branch/tags, and if it's easier for dev then put all three under
one root (for permission management maybe)?

Shai

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Dev is now merged with Solr and Lucene -- that has already passed.  If
that will scare customers away, that's a risk we take -- the benefits
of merged dev outweigh that, in my opinion.

The incremental risk that the details of our svn URLs will scare
people away seems negligible.

And we can always change this up, later, if we decide to.

I think what's important now is a we pick something to un-block trunk
dev.  Sure people can keep working on the branch but I think it'd be
better if we get this simple "svn move" done so that we can get normal
dev going on a shared trunk again.

Mike

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
What about tagging and branching?  When we cut a Lucene release we also
tag Solr, even though it's not being released?

  Michael

On 3/16/10 3:47 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:
> But it's actually the reverse?  Solr depends on Lucene but not vice/versa.
>
> (If instead I proposed making Solr a subdir of Lucene then I'd agree....)
>
> So... if you checkout only lucene, you can cd there and do all you do
> today with Lucene ("ant test", "ant dist", "svn diff", etc.).
>
> If you checkout solr, you can cd there and "ant test" will run all of
> Lucene's and all of Solr's tests.  "svn diff" will include any changes
> to lucene and to solr.
>
> Ie this achieves want we want -- Solr to depend on Lucene but not vice
> versa, right?
>
> Mike
>
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 5:18 PM, Shai Erera<se...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I have to agree w/ Jake that putting Lucene under Solr gives the impression
>> as if suddenly Lucene became dependent on it ... and for really no good
>> reasons. Are we making that decision to simplify the build of Solr? What are
>> the problems Solr faces today w.r.t. its build and using a Lucene release or
>> trunk revision?
>>
>> I didn't follow the Lucene/Solr merge on general@, because I didn't even
>> know such a beast exists. So I guess I'm missing something ...
>>
>> Shai

>>> Developers and dev managers at companies doing build vs. buy decisions
>>> regarding
>>> whether they will do one of the following:
>>> 1) pay big bucks to get FAST or whatever
>>> 2) use Solr (free/cheap!)
>>> 3) pay [variable] bucks to build their own with Lucene

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com>.
> Unless maven has some features i'm not aware of, your "nicely depends"
> works buy pulling Lucene jars from a repository
The 'missing feature' is called multi-module projects.

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 03:33, Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> wrote:
> : build and nicely gets all dependencies to Lucene and Tika whenever I build
> : or release, no problem there and certainly no need to have it merged into
> : Lucene's svn!
>
> The key distinction is that Solr is allready in "Lucene's svn" -- The
> question is how reorg things in a way that makes it easier to build Solr
> and Lucene-Java all at once, while wtill making it easy to build just
> Lucene-Java.
>
> : Professionally i work on a (world-class) geocoder that also nicely depends
> : on Lucene by using maven, no problems there at all and no need to merge
> : that code in Lucene's svn!
>
> Unless maven has some features i'm not aware of, your "nicely depends"
> works buy pulling Lucene jars from a repository -- changing Solr to do
> that (instead of having committed jars) would be farrly simple (with or
> w/o maven), but that's not the goal.  The goal is to make it easy to build
> both at once, have patches that update both, and (make it easy to) have
> atomic svn commits that touch both.
>

> -Hoss

ICQ: 104465785

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>.
what other libraries do is have a 'core' or a 'common' bit.. which is
what the lucene library really is.

looking at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/ today I see that
nearly, but it's called 'java'.
maybe just renaming 'java' to 'core' or 'common' (hadoop uses common)
might make sense
and let ivy or maven be responsible for pulling the other parts.

as a weekend developer, I would just pull the bit I care about, and let
ivy or maven get the other bits for me.

btw.. having a master 'pom.xml' in
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/ could just include the the
module pom's and build them
without having to have nightly jars etc.

as for the goal of doing single commits, I've noticed that most of the
discussion has been in the format of

/lucene/XYZ/trunk/...
and /lucene/ABC/trunk

if this is one code base, would it make sense to have it:
/lucene/trunk/ABC
/lucene/trunk/XYZ

?

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Earwin Burrfoot <ea...@gmail.com>.
Some of these people got traumatized by maven, now they only can think
in terms of "mash everything together and sprinkle with
hand-downloaded dependency jars".
No offence : )

I, personally, prefer side-by-side layouts. You can add new stuff, and
wire dependencies to the old one, without reorganizing the tree. You
can checkout everything, or just the subset you need.
There is also another way - separate trunks for the modules, so they
can be release-managed separately, but there is a toplevel directory
that svn:external's all these trunks and allows checking
out/building/testing everything at once.

ICQ: 104465785

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Wouter Heijke <wh...@xs4all.nl>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Duh -- I meant to reply to Hoss' proposal, below:

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Michael McCandless

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
+1

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:

> If we move lucene under Solr's existing svn path, ie:
>
>  /solr/trunk/lucene

Chiming in just a bit here - isn't there any concern that independent of
whether or not people "can"
build lucene without checking out solr, the mere fact that Lucene will be
effectively a "subdirectory"
of solr... is there no concern that there will then be a perception that
Lucene is a subproject of
Solr, instead of vice-versa?

The way mavenified projects work is that there would instead be a top level
in which both solr
and lucene would be submodules (and thus also subdirectories in svn), with a
dependency
from solr to lucene (in the pom.xml for maven, but easy enough to do with
the build.xml with
ant).  Checking out solr without lucene should be doable (using snapshot
jars from lucene
trunk nightly, maybe?), and the reverse should be easy, as could be checking
out the
top-level and getting everything (including a top-level build.xml which
<include>'s or antcall's
into the subdirectory build.xmls).

It seems really weird to have Lucene appear as a subdirectory of Solr,
especially for people
out there who aren't using Solr.

  -jake

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
The primary concern seems to be ensuring that, once we
merge svn, one can still checkout & build & run tests/etc for
Lucene alone.

If we move lucene under Solr's existing svn path, ie:

  /solr/trunk/lucene

and then fixup solr's build files to go and compile sources from the
lucene dir, run tests there, etc., then, one can still checkout & run
lucene fully independently -- this addresses that concern?

So.... how about we start with this approach?  Progress not
perfection...  If somehow this layout is a problem then we can just
move things around, again.

Alot of great progress has already been made on the temporary branch
-- Solr runs fine on Lucene trunk!  And, also on flex.  We need to
settle an initial svn structure so the changes on the branch can
be fully reviewed & then committed to trunk and normal dev can
proceed...

We don't need to solve how modules/contribs, etc., are going to be
fixed, now -- that all can come later.  IRC issues, using GIT instead,
etc. should also be discussed separately.  Let's just pick a place in
svn and free up ongoing dev...

Mike

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Solr moves to Lucene's trunk:
>>   /java/trunk, /java/trunk/sol
>
> +1. With the goal of merged dev, merged tests, this looks the best to me.
> Simple to do patches that span both, simple to setup
> Solr to use Lucene trunk rather than jars. Short paths. Simple. I like it.

+1

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 02:57:33PM -0700, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Check out the dir structure mentioned here:
> http://markmail.org/message/gwpmaevw7tavqqge
>
> Isn't that what we want?

I think the downside of that hierarchy is that you will need the "modules"
directory if you're working on Lucene, and with Solr under "modules/solr",
you'll have to get all of Solr, too.

If Solr were a thin layer for sharding, I agree that would be a good place for
it... but as things stand, that's gonna be one big "modules" checkout.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Otis Gospodnetic <
otis_gospodnetic@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Check out the dir structure mentioned here:
> http://markmail.org/message/gwpmaevw7tavqqge
>
> Isn't that what we want?

I'm totally down with this structure, personally.  Not that I matter. :)

  -jake

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Michael McCandless
<lu...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> Git, Maven, Hg, etc., all sound great for the future, but let's focus
> now on the baby step (how to re-org svn), today, so we can land the
> Solr upgrade work now being done on a branch...

I agree.

Another thing anyone can do to help if they have a spare few minutes,
is to review the technical work done in the branch and provide
feedback.
The big JIRA issue is located at
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1659 and other issues are
linked to it.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Git, Maven, Hg, etc., all sound great for the future, but let's focus
now on the baby step (how to re-org svn), today, so we can land the
Solr upgrade work now being done on a branch...

Hoss's side-by-side proposal sounds great... and his concrete steps
"that could be done today" look good (I'm hoping Uwe "the policeman
who wears many hats" volunteers ;).

Mike

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

:

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
All tests pass for me :)

Mike

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
All tests pass for me :)

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 03/17/2010 12:46 PM, Robert Muir wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Mark Miller<ma...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Okay, so this looks good to me (a few others seemed to like it - though
>> Lucene-Dev was somehow dropped earlier) - lets try this out on the branch?
>> (then we can get rid of that "horrible" branch name ;) )
>>
>> Anyone on the current branch object to having to do a quick svn switch?
>>

> +1

I've moved solr to newtrunk/solr for to experiment with this layout.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Okay, so this looks good to me (a few others seemed to like it - though
: Lucene-Dev was somehow dropped earlier) - lets try this out on the branch?

It's the hassle of cross posting, really easy for someone to not reply to
all (especailly since i think all of the ASF lists rewrite the Reply-To
header, but i haven't double checked that that's what happened in this
instance)

-Hoss

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Jake Mannix <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Chris Hostetter
<ho...@fucit.org>wrote:

> : Otis, yes, I think so, eventually.  But that's gonna take much more
> discussion.
> :
> : I don't think this initial cutover should try to "solve" how modules
> : will be organized, yet... we'll get there, eventually.
>
> But we should at least consider it, and not move in a direction that's
> distinct from the ultimate goal of better refactoring (especailly since
> that was one of the main goals of unifying development efforts)
>
> Here's my concrete suggestion that could be done today (for simplicity:
> $svn = https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene)...
>
>  svn mv $svn/java/trunk $svn/java/tmp-migration
>  svn mkdir $svn/java/trunk
>  svn mv $svn/solr/trunk $svn/java/trunk/solr
>  svn mv $svn/java/tmp-migration $svn/java/trunk/core

Cool, I think this is what I was just saying in reference to mavenized
projects.  Core and Solr are siblings of the "Lucene" project.

  -jake

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Otis, yes, I think so, eventually.  But that's gonna take much more discussion.

I don't think this initial cutover should try to "solve" how modules
will be organized, yet... we'll get there, eventually.

Mike

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: Yep, those users probably already hate our backwards tests and the
: contrib tests too.

probably ... which is just another reason why it probably makes sense
sense to move "core" stuff from Lucene-Java into it's own "module" along
side solr, and other modules that get refactored out of Solr or the
existing contribs.

But back to my first point: these types of issues are why some discussions
are warranted about what the plan should be for automated builds,
releasees, point-release branching, etc... before we pick a directory
structures.

"trunk" is nothing more then a convention in SVN, so we could decide that
Solr should live under /lucene/yatzee/solr and Lucene-Java should live
under /lucene/bigfoot/java, and branches and tags of both should live in
"/lucene/whatsallthisnow/somestuff, but if that doesn't actually make
progress any easier there's not much point.  -- Likewise, ther's not much
point in picking between any of the other structures suggested so far
unless we have a clear idea how we're going to use them.

structure should follow function.

-Hoss

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Hoss,

> : > (i suspect a whole lot of people who only care about the core library are
> : > going to really adamantly not want to have to check out all of Solr just
> : > to work on the core)
> :
> : This wouldn't really be merged development now would it?
> : When I run 'ant test' I want the Solr tests to run, too.
> : If one breaks because of a change, I want to look at the source and know
> why.
>
> And as a committer, you should be concerned about things like this ...
> that doesn't mean every user of Lucene-Java who wants to build from source
> or apply their own local patches is going to feel the same way.

+1. Personally, I'm one of those users and appreciate the separation in SVN.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: Chris.Mattmann@jpl.nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

RE: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

> And Lucene is on Java 1.5 and should be compiled with an 1.5 compiler,
> where Solr seems to be on 1.6 since yesterday? (Yonik added something
> to common-build.xml). On my development system I have no Java 1.6
> installed at all as default build, I ever use Java 1.5 for building
> Lucene. If we merge that and have both on different JVMs the same
> problems like with 1.4/1.5 start. Developers use 1.6 methods because
> their compiler does not warn them. So everybody working on Lucene
> should at least have Java 1.5 compiler and try to compile his changes
> before committing. I do this (as I use 1.5 for developing), 1.6 on some
> of our servers.
>
> So: If merge, keep both on Java 1.5 !!!

I changed common-build.xml in the new solr branch to Java 1.5 again, as there is currently no reason to change this and especially as it was not discussed anywhere.

Java 1.5 as base for both solr and lucene is better and the few features of Java 1.6 does not rectify to move up. I have my development area configured with Java 1.5 and I only develop Lucene in 1.5. I am then sure to not use the wrong methods when creating patches. You can still tell users to run with JRE 1.6, but development should stay on 1.5 for now.

Uwe

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
I completely agree with Uwe and Hoss.  These questions need to be
addressed first.

I still want to be able to only checkout Lucene code and run the Lucene
build independently from Solr.  And Lucene needs to be able to release
without Solr and the branching/tagging needs to support that as Uwe
points out.

  Michael

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Mar 16, 2010, at 3:51 AM, Michael Busch wrote:

> On 3/16/10 12:43 AM, Simon Willnauer wrote:Me too.  I don't have the time to follow IRC in addition to jira and mailinglists.  I know I've been missing stuff, because in the past I commented on jira issues and later was told that my questions were already discussed thoroughly on IRC.  I've also seen jira issues that start with something like "Summary of IRC discussion:".

I too am troubled by the likes of this and have been feeling much the same way, as many already know.  It is on my list of things to discuss with the community, but I was going to wait a week or so to send, to let the volume die down a bit.

-Grant

Re: #lucene IRC log [was: RE: lucene and solr trunk]

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
IRC has been discussed to death at Apache:
http://markmail.org/search/?q=IRC+list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.general

Look for the spikes... like this:

http://markmail.org/search/?q=IRC+list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.general#query:IRC%20list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.general%20date%3A200608%20+page:1+state:facets

-Yonik

Re: #lucene IRC log [was: RE: lucene and solr trunk]

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:17 PM, Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But at the same time can we make sure that the decisions that are made on
> IRC are still being described in a jira issue?

+1

Any time something is discussed on IRC, it must be summarized on the
lists or in an issue, with the details based on what was discussed, or
else it didn't happen....

IRC is a great way to hash out ideas, brainstorm, shoot the breeze,
vent, etc.  Much of what's discussed doesn't pan out... but when stuff
does we always bring to the lists...

Those of us spending some time on IRC have been trying to do exactly
that.  Maybe we've been falling short sometimes, not providing enough
detail, so we should fix that with time.  We're all still learning as
we go...

Also: if an issue is opened and it's missing details, regardless of
whether it was born in IRC or some other place, people should simply
ask questions, punch holes, etc.  When another set of eyes, or the
same set of eyes some time later, look at the issue, very different
and healthy iterations happen.  Most certainly if something seems like
a good idea during IRC discussions that doesn't not mean the debate is
done -- rather the issue is opened and lots of other people chime in.

Nothing is "decided" on IRC... only ideas are born... that's all.

Stepping back, Lucene/Solr are clearly at a fast pace of innovation
right now, and this is really very healthy.  It'd already been fast a
few months ago, but it seems to be accelerating... I think that's
because suddenly we have quite a few strong [near-] full-time devs
here, and, because IRC allows for real-time conversations for
brainstorming.

This is net/net good for both Lucene and Solr and I think we should
try to find a way to make IRC work well so devs that do happen to
have the time (and, the list will change with time -- bright stars never
shine for long) can brainstorm and bring new ideas to the community...

Mike

Re: #lucene IRC log [was: RE: lucene and solr trunk]

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.
It be very cool to have a searchable archive for the IRC discussions, so +1.

But at the same time can we make sure that the decisions that are made
on IRC are still being described in a jira issue?  I don't mean that
people should repeat brainstorming, but if a discussion leads to opening
a Jira issue it'd be good to understand the reasons and details without
having to search the IRC log.  Only if someone wants to know more, e.g.
what lead to the discussion, what other ideas were discarded, etc.
should have to go to the IRC log.

  Michael

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
+1, this looks great!

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@osafoundation.org>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 01:30:42PM -0700, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Archiving the logs feels like it would be useful, but realistically
> speaking, they would be pretty big and who has the time to read them after
> the fact?

Someone who participated in the chat reviewing it while preparing a summary.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: #lucene IRC log [was: RE: lucene and solr trunk]

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Uh, the IRC logs... Do people really think making those *searchable* would be useful?

I think they'd be *extremely* noisy and hard to interpret without a person really just sequentially reading them.  Lots of people talking at the same time, multiple topics, lots of very short intertwined messages that always need a lot of context, aren't threadable, etc.

Archiving the logs feels like it would be useful, but realistically speaking, they would be pretty big and who has the time to read them after the fact?  You guys all read the recent issue of The Economist, right? ;)

Otis
----

Posted by Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>.
+1

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Mar 16, 2010, at 3:24 PM, Mark Miller wrote:

> On 03/16/2010 02:57 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

>>> I gather from the deafening silence that we'll have to figure it out as we go...
>>>
>>> I think some (not all) of the discomfort associated with IRC could be addressed with a permanent, searchable, linkable archive of #lucene.
>>>
>>> I went looking for IRC loggers and found http://colabti.org/.  One of the things hosted there is a searchable, linkable permanent archive of several freenode channels.  I posted on #irclogger asking about hosting #lucene archive, and apparently all we have to do is ask, after first determining that nobody objects.  Here's a link (not incidentally, this is exactly what we will have for #lucene once the service is switched on):
>>>
>>> http://colabti.org/irclogger/irclogger_log/irclogger?date=2010-03-16#l2
>>>
>>> So, would anybody participating on #lucene object to a permanent archive?
>>>
>>> (I'm also going to provide a link to this thread on #lucene to make sure everybody there knows about the issue.)
>>>
>> There's also a lot of chatter that happens on IRC, so logging is going to have a lot of noise.  I'm still on the fence on what to do.  I don't want to get in people's way, but we also need to have traceability about decisions, and we certainly can't have answers like "We discussed this on IRC and you missed it, too bad" happening (not saying that has happening, just saying I don't want to see it).
>>
>> -Grant
>>

> Even with logging, I'm against using IRC for making decisions, or as something people can point to. Even with searchable logging, I think we should stick with, "if id didn't happen on the lists, it didn't happen". Its the same as when some of us get together and talk about Lucene and Solr - thats great stuff - you can get a lot done that is a lot harder on the lists - you can hash a lot out. But I think people should always have the right to act like it didn't happen - the same as if we are at ApacheCon or something - we don't come back and say, sorry, you missed all the discussion, but we had one and this what we are going to do. We summarize the discussion on the list (like Mike likes to do with IRC), and answer questions as people have them. I personally think its great to come to mini agreements with real-time talk - then it just has to make its way through the list.
>
> This isn't a counter point to anything you said Grant, just a nice place for me to drop this.

+1.  The ApacheCon talks are a great example of bringing back off list stuff to the list.

Re: #lucene IRC log [was: RE: lucene and solr trunk]

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:51 AM, Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/16/10 12:43 AM, Simon Willnauer wrote:
>>
>> If my impression should be wrong or if I miss something please ignore
>> the last paragraph.
>
> I feel exactly like you, Simon.  I don't understand the rush.  Also, we're
> in review-and-commit process, not commit-and-review.  Changes have to be
> proposed, discussed and ideally attached to jira as patches first.

There's obviously alot of excitement driving the progress here, and
there's been awesome progress.  Things are moving fast, but...

Remember that all commits/fast iterations are being done on a branch,
so that people involved can make fast progress.

When we land that branch onto trunk, there will be the usual scrutiny
("review then commit") of the changes that're going in, and this email
was started to get the most important topic ("where does all this
land, anyway") going, first.

EG changes like a move to Java 1.6, disallowing compression in Solr's
schema.xml, the Version changes percolating into Solr, all obviously
need sizable review & discussion...

>> BTW: I still have the impression that if I don't follow IRC constantly
>> I'm missing important things.
>
> Me too.  I don't have the time to follow IRC in addition to jira and
> mailinglists.  I know I've been missing stuff, because in the past I
> commented on jira issues and later was told that my questions were already
> discussed thoroughly on IRC.  I've also seen jira issues that start with
> something like "Summary of IRC discussion:".

This is a hard problem...

IRC is a very good tool to enable those that have the time (and I
agree it's ALOT OF TIME -- I can't keep up with it either) to work
together.  Fast design discussions are a powerful way to bat around
random ideas, and I'd say IRC has already produced a number of good
ideas for improving Lucene (opened as issues, lately...).

But the thing to remember is of all the crazy discussions that happen
on IRC (and there are MANY that don't pan out), when a "real" idea
pans out, it must then go through the normal process -- turn into an
issue, comments are added summarizing the pros/cons that were
discussed on IRC, a patch is created and must be reviewed, iterated,
and then committed.  The CTR process is still intact... it's just that
IRC is a faster way for some devs to discuss things that may turn into
real ideas (or, may get dropped on the floor).

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi

My only concern w/ how SVN might end up organized is that I'll still be able
checkout core lucene independently of Solr (and possibly contrib/modules)
and then build and test it. Also a separate project in Eclipse is important
as well.

How about this structure:
<root>/solr/trunk
<root>/lucene/trunk
<root>/modules/trunk

<root> can be left out if we don't think it's necessary.

This should allow us to:
1) Release each and everyone of them independently
2) Introduce dependencies between modules -> lucene and Solr -> modules +
lucene as, IMO, it should be. Lucene is core, modules extends it and Solr
extends and uses both.
3) Allow one to checkout exactly what it needs to work on.
4) Modules will always depend on a certain lucene version, either a cut
release or trunk. When it's released, its build.xml will be changed as part
of the release process to point to the lucene release (not trunk!) it
supports and depends on.
5) Same for Solr.

When a patch for Solr needs to change code in lucene, it is done it both, by
two different patches. Both are committed within the same issue. Since each
trunk can depends on the other's trunk, this shouldn't be a problem.

Indeed, it will complicate a bit the build.xmls - like it's done today for
core lucene and backwards. But that's ok I think. I don't expect all Solr
issues to require a change in lucene as well as not all modules issues will.
So that change to the build.xml should not be a frequent operation.

Another thing this will change (and I think for the better) is that a Solr
release might require cutting a Lucene and modules ones, and I think we
should be flexible about that. This also is not something I think will be
frequent ... like today, Solr could still be limited to a certain lucene
release or trunk revision.

I still this is still in line w/ one project, one codebase, just different
levels of the really big parts (Solr, lucene and modules). Committers can be
given access to <root> which will give them access to everything. Others
(modules-committers) can be given access to just that folder (hijacking a
bit from the other thread).

The flexibility of being able to checkout lucene code only is important, at
least to me. I wouldn't want to lose it.

On the IRC stuff - I know that we cannot prevent anyone from discussing on
issues anywhere, and I respect that freedom. It's just that some time ago I
was told that I shouldn't hold 'private' discussions on Lucene, outside the
community. I know that this IRC channel, that's called #lucene, is not
completely outside the community, but here's how it looks to the outsider
(not on IRC):
1) An issue is opened w/ comment "summarizing discussion on IRC ...".
2) Then a couple of hours later (or days), new comment: "more discussion
summary on IRC".
3) Then some comment, some that are not on IRC
4) Then more comment (from an IRC-er): "ok we've discussed this and here's
what we came up with ..."

Feels like we're on a need to know basis here. Remember that when a
discussion is fully open, you might have some comments on what was said in
the process. When you are given the final decision, or a summary, you cannot
comment on what you weren't told. That's a bit frustrating ... though I'm
trying very hard to be involved w/ the mailing list, it feels like I miss
TONS of discussions on IRC ... and what seems worse (as I read somewhere in
the thread) is that you can open an issue w/ an idea (like happened to me),
just to discover the folks on IRC took it all the way to design and impl
proposals, and I was left to read the summarization ...

So by no means am I trying to suggest that IRC discussions should stop. As I
don't, can't and won't ever have control on that. Just like I cannot keep
two people sitting in next rooms to discuss on issues or Lucene outside the
list. But I'd feel better if when a discussion makes it to the list or an
issue, it'd be conducted there from now on, and not as snippets/summaries of
the IRC discussion. Can we keep at least that?

I don't want to get people off their seats w/ that request :). I'm not even
sure I'm in a position to make such requests :). But I'd appreciate if it
can be at least discussed (not on IRC).

Shai

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 03/16/2010 10:09 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:51 AM, Michael Busch<bu...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Also, we're in review-and-commit process, not commit-and-review.  Changes have to be
>> proposed, discussed and ideally attached to jira as patches first.
>>
> Correction, just for the sake of avoiding future confusion (i.e. I'm
> not making any point about this thread):
>
> Lucene and Solr have always officially been CTR.
> For trunk, we normally use a bit of informal lazy consensus for
> anything big, hard, or that might be controvertial... but we are not
> officially RTC.
>
> -Yonik

In any case, this is a branch. People really want to enforce RTC on a
branch??? Even if that was our official process on trunk (which I agree
it has not been) that's not how the flex branch worked. That's not how
the solr_cloud branch worked. That's not how other previous branches
have worked.

IMO - anyone should be able to create a branch for anything - to play
around with whatever they want. We should encourage this. Branches are
good. And they take up little space.

Branch changes have to be proposed, discussed, and attached to JIRA?
Uggg - I certainly hope not.

Branches should be considered replacements for huge unwieldy patches. Do
I have to propose and discuss before I put up a patch?

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Michael Busch <bu...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
My snap impression is that moving lucene to a sub-tree
under SOLR would introduce some confusion in the minds
of new folks looking at the code. *We* all know that Lucene
stands by itself, but putting it under a solr makes that less
obvious. I claim that there would be questions like "so can
I just use Lucene without SOLR?".

That said, the questions about release management, branching,
tagging, etc. take complete precedence over minor
confusion when the answer is "just go to directory X and
checkout if you want Lucene only".

FWIW
Erick

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Stefan Trcek <wz...@abas.de>.
On Tuesday 16 March 2010 14:12:20 Mark Miller wrote:
> On 03/16/2010 09:05 AM, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
> >
> > You could have used git instead. There is a good integration
> > between git and svn, and it's much easier (a giant
> > understatement...) to handle branching and merging in git, both
> > between git branches and syncing with external svn.
>
> Yeah, we have actually discussed doing things like GIT in the past -
> prob main reason we didn't is learning curve at the moment. I haven't
> used it yet.

I jumped off perforce by using a git-perforce bridge for daily work.
This made me comfortable with git while not changing anything public.
And I had the certainty that if anything goes wrong, I can do it in
perforce. Meanwhile we migrated a 2GB trunk sources repo from a legacy
repo to git and it works fine. So don't hesitate do use a git-svn
bridge.

git will open new modes of operation, e.g. instead of up- and
downloading patches in jira just hold a branch for any patch in a repo,
which is as public as jira, batch-upgrade that branches/patches to
trunk and pull that branches into the core developers repo as desired.

Stefan

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
On 2010-03-16 12:29, Mark Miller wrote:

>  From our perspective, we would have been just as happy with a branch on
> my local hard drive! That would have taken longer to setup though.

You could have used git instead. There is a good integration between git
and svn, and it's much easier (a giant understatement...) to handle
branching and merging in git, both between git branches and syncing with
external svn.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 03/16/2010 07:05 AM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar wrote:

> Wow, you guys are moving fast! Thats a good thing.
>
> IRC is fine if you want to discuss something quickly. But it has its
> limitations. For example, I cannot follow IRC most of the times
> because I'm in a different time zone. But I don't want to stop anyone
> either. In fact, I can't do that. Nobody can.
>
> All I want to say is that once discussions have happened and a plan
> agreed upon, it may be a good idea to let solr-dev/java-dev know the
> plan. In this case I didn't know a new branch was created until I saw
> was a commit notification and then Yonik's email.

Hi Shalin - I like your attitude ;)

-

Yonik's email was the notification of the plan :) Though we had no plan.
When Robert and I made the branch we had no plan really - we just needed
a place to put together our patches and do the final work. We were
trying to do it with patches, but it was becoming difficult. But when we
started we had no real plan - just to see if we could get Solr up and
running on Lucene 3.01 and then trunk. Anything beyond that, we have not
planned for - and before that was even completed, there were emails to
java-dev about it. But we conceived nothing beyond seeing if we could
get Solr running on the latest Lucene.

 From our perspective, we would have been just as happy with a branch on

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> they want on anything. Nothing has happened faster than the community wants
> yet. Your too concerned. This is called discussion. Nothing has happened. In
> my opinion, the whole freak out of what goes where in svn was so over blown
> - its so easy to move this stuff around at the drop of a hat. That's why it
> was suggested we put a branch there and no one saw anything wrong it with
> for the moment - everyone said, well we can just easily move it if someone
> has an issue - which we did. Didn't expect the freak out though. Frankly, we
> were just seeking a branch really, and didn't care where it went.
>
> Some of us are anxious to do some work - some of us are anxious to merge
> some code - no one is forcing this stuff on the others at a rapid pace -
> everyone gets there say as always. This is why we wanted a branch we could
> committ what we wanted to. SVN locations make starting the merge of code
> easier. They are easy to change. This is not like rushing index format
> changes. Its src code location - it can be moved at the drop of the hat. The
> sooner we resolve what we are going to do, the sooner we can start getting
> more work done that we hoped to get down with this merge. This thread starts
> that discussion. You can't start a discussion to early. Perhaps it leads to
> another discussion first, but their is no such thing as rushing the start of
> discussion. It doesn't say "figure it out by tomorrow, cause we are doing
> this tomorrow. " It doesn't say, figure this out by next week, because we
> are doing this next week. It says lets discuss where this is going to go.
>
> I think some people just need to relax, and discuss what they would like to
> see and worry less about how fast others are working. Fast work is good. It
> means more work. Nothing is going to happen until the community figures
> things out.
>

>  BTW: I still have the impression that if I don't follow IRC constantly
>> I'm missing important things.
>>

> That's your impression then. Follow IRC if you want. People talk all over
> the places about Lucen/Solr - many times in places you can't follow - if it
> didn't happen on the list, it didn't happen. Michael Busch follows up
> saying, "people say it was discussed thoroughly on IRC" - so what? It
> doesn't count as a valid point of reference - I haven't seen that, but you
> can just tell someone that says that so - they owe you an explanation.

Wow, you guys are moving fast! Thats a good thing.

IRC is fine if you want to discuss something quickly. But it has its
limitations. For example, I cannot follow IRC most of the times because I'm
in a different time zone. But I don't want to stop anyone either. In fact, I
can't do that. Nobody can.

All I want to say is that once discussions have happened and a plan agreed
upon, it may be a good idea to let solr-dev/java-dev know the plan. In this
case I didn't know a new branch was created until I saw was a commit

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Simon Willnauer <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> [...]
>
> I propose another idea for now until the "module" decision is [DISCUSS]ed and [VOTE]d:
>
> Lets create a new project folder with trunk and branches for combined trunk development in SVN (this can be later the folder for the module development). This folder simply contains a delegating build.xml (delegating the common tasks like build and test and so on to solr and trunk).The folder simply uses svn:external SVN props to link current solr and lucene trunk as subfolders. So developers that want to work on both can simply checkout this folder and SVN will resolve the externals. As this is trunk development, the externals will be without rev numbers and relative for the http(s) problem (SVN 1.5+ required).

+1 - as I recall correctly that is what uwe and I proposed initially
on IRC when solr got copied initially. This makes a lot of sense as it
does not break anybodies checkouts and enables all "Solcene"
developers to move on. From a Lucene point of view Lucene should not
see any Solr below its root as we do not have dependencies on it,
letting them live side by side seems to be the way to go as uwe says.

One more thing which I wonder about even more is that this whole
merging happens so quickly for reasons I don't see right now. I don't
want to keep anybody from making progress but it appears like a rush
to me. Committers, start copying stuff around without discussion or
having a jira issue (sry mark :) - not blaming you personally),
discussions on the list are extremely short living and several people
seem to be rushed somehow.
I can understand the moving forward is tempting but based on all this
discussion during the "vote" could we move a little slower and little
more relaxed to figure out the right solutions.

If my impression should be wrong or if I miss something please ignore
the last paragraph.

BTW: I still have the impression that if I don't follow IRC constantly
I'm missing important things.

simon

RE: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi all,

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Re: lucene and solr trunk

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 5:42 AM, Michael McCandless
<lu...@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> I think it like the 1st option best (lucene moves as subdir to solr's
> current trunk SVN path), but I don't feel strongly.
>
> This'd mean one could simply checkout lucene alone and do everything
> you can do today.
>
> But if you check out solr, you also get a full checkout of lucene, and
> solr's build.xml will go and build lucene, copy over its jars to its
> lib folder, and then do everything it currently does.
>
> I think?
>
> This small step is not much change over what we have today -- the code
> simply moves, unchanged, except for some fixes to solr's build.xml to
> go and build its lucene subdir first.

Huh - I was leaning more toward putting solr under lucene because I
thought that might be more acceptable to the lucene folks (actually,
now lucene/solr folks) than vice-versa.

But your points make perfect sense.

> The bigger stuff, ideas on modules like renaming contrib->modules,
> consolidating all analyzers, queries, queryparsers, highlighters, all
> comes later.

+1

-Yonik

Re: lucene and solr trunk