Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2005/12/03 11:24:39 UTC

[logging] [PROPOSAL] strategy for JCL1.1 release

thanks to dennis for the release plan page
(http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Logging/1%2e1%2e0ReleasePlan).

i'd like to propose the following solutions to the design issues
highlighted. please indicate opinions in the conventional fashion :)

1 eliminate optional jar

IMHO sub-components don't work very well. in particular, i think too
many users are going to get too confused by yet another jar. WeakHashMap
will go into the base distribution, other classes will be moved into
contrib. perhaps another component (logging-extras) would be good or
perhaps moving them off shore.

2 clean up source

demonstration will be moved into contrib

3 improve support for downstream packagers

add an ant task that creates a distribution with minimal dependencies.
create guide to help people understand the distribution with section on
dependencies.

4 log4j loggers

log4j 1.3 is still not released. the new JCL release cannot depend on
unreleased code. the 1.3 implementation will be moved into contrib.
Log4JLogger and Log4J12Logger will be shipped with notes that direct use
of log4jlogger is deprecated and will be replaced by a logical logger
when log4j 1.3 ships.

5 ServletContextCleaner

this will be shipped

6 IoC friendly design

postponed

- robert

Re: [logging] [PROPOSAL] strategy for JCL1.1 release

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 14:01 +0100, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
> robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > 3 improve support for downstream packagers
> >
> > add an ant task that creates a distribution with minimal dependencies.
> > create guide to help people understand the distribution with section on
> > dependencies.
>
> +1
> Would this produce the commons-logging-api.jar then?

not sure

i now that it was a mistake to create an api jar with two purposes: for
use in special configurations and as a dependency. i worry that exiting
users may get confused if we rename the jar and new users if we do not.

opinions?

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@mdh.se>.
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> thanks to dennis for the release plan page
> (http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/Logging/1%2e1%2e0ReleasePlan).
>
> i'd like to propose the following solutions to the design issues
> highlighted. please indicate opinions in the conventional fashion :)
>
> 1 eliminate optional jar
>
> IMHO sub-components don't work very well. in particular, i think too
> many users are going to get too confused by yet another jar. WeakHashMap
> will go into the base distribution, other classes will be moved into
> contrib. perhaps another component (logging-extras) would be good or
> perhaps moving them off shore.

+0

> 2 clean up source
>
> demonstration will be moved into contrib

+0

> 3 improve support for downstream packagers
>
> add an ant task that creates a distribution with minimal dependencies.
> create guide to help people understand the distribution with section on
> dependencies.

+1
Would this produce the commons-logging-api.jar then?

> 4 log4j loggers
>
> log4j 1.3 is still not released. the new JCL release cannot depend on
> unreleased code. the 1.3 implementation will be moved into contrib.

+1

> Log4JLogger and Log4J12Logger will be shipped with notes that direct use
> of log4jlogger is deprecated and will be replaced by a logical logger
> when log4j 1.3 ships.

+1
The Log4JLogger is not in svn trunk any more. Should we just make
something like this:

/**
  * @deprecated Please use Log4JLogger12 instead
  */
public class Log4JLogger extends Log4J12Logger {
   // Add necessary constructors here
}

> 5 ServletContextCleaner
>
> this will be shipped