Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Patrick Clark <pa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/02/07 21:36:19 UTC

and

I am a new user to James, but thus far it has been
very easy to work with and configure.  Everything
seems to be working just as the documentation says it
is supposed to.  But I have run into problems with
<authRequired> for the smtp server setup.

I tried to do my due diligence in locating a previous
post of this type for problem, however I did not find
one.  So I apologize in advance if this question has
been asked before or I am doing something silly.

I am using the just released James 2.0a2 on a
Windows2000 sp2 machine with JBuilder6 JDK 1.3.1.
Everything is functioning fine on my local machine
(administration, sending mail, receiving mail, etc).

However, as I began working with the <smtpserver>
section to configure the <authRequired> to keep my
host from becoming an open mail relay, I ran into a
problem.  When I added the authRequired tag, I could
still send mail without being authenticated.  Here is
what the <smtpserver> section of my config file looks
like :

  <smtpserver>
        <port>25</port>
        <handler>
          <helloName
autodetect="TRUE">myMailServer</helloName>

<connectiontimeout>360000</connectiontimeout>

	  <authRequired>true</authRequired>

          <maxmessagesize>0</maxmessagesize>

        </handler>
  </smtpserver>

I am using Microsoft Outlook as an email client.  Did
I miss something in the configuration?

Any help on getting the <authRequired> to work would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick Clark
patrick_g_clark@yahoo.com

RE: telnet login.

Posted by Jackson Torres <ja...@valtech.co.uk>.
SMTP server default port is 25, there is obviously a connection since the
server responds but how do you login as an Administrator.

Posted by Jackson Torres <ja...@valtech.co.uk>.
James, you are right. smtp port is 25 but to logon to as administrator you
use port 4555.
Everyone know that...

Thanks,

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: telnet login.

Posted by jason sackett <ja...@home.com>.

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

RE: telnet login.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
thats you connected to port 25 for smtp .. try 4555

RE: telnet login.

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
example SMTP session ..

type exactly as between the "" (swap the mail addresses for real ones), but
leave the "<"'s & ">"'s the white space and the dot *are* significant.

"MAIL FROM:<ro...@localhost>
RCPT TO:<us...@localhost>
DATA
To:user@localhost
From:root@localhost
Subject:test message

test message body
.
"

RE: telnet login.

telnet login.

RE: mail list

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.

mail list

Posted by Vasko Tomanov <va...@web.bg>.

RE: and

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
We were notified of a bug in smtp auth, and applied a contributed patch
which fixed it, however it was a last minute thing, and you may well have
found another bug.
Thats not to say don't keep trying to sort it out, of course, but be aware
that you may not win.
[IMO the best way to prevent relaying is to use the address not in network
matcher.]

d.