Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nat Titman <na...@choosemcs.co.uk> on 2005/03/11 14:39:48 UTC

Idle servlet won't restart

Hi,

I'm using Tomcat 5.5.3 running as part of an Apache webserver on Fedora
Core 1.

My webapps are supported by a servlet which serves gif images stored in
a database, it's mapped to the URL pattern /servlet/image by the
following XML which is inside the <web-app> tag of the web.xml files for
two webapps, including ROOT.

     <servlet>
         <servlet-name>DBImageViewer</servlet-name>
         <servlet-class>shared.DBImageViewer</servlet-class>
     </servlet>

     <servlet-mapping>
         <servlet-name>DBImageViewer</servlet-name>
         <url-pattern>/servlet/image</url-pattern>
     </servlet-mapping>

My problem is that after leaving the webapps overnight and returning to
the site, the image servlet appears to have stopped. While the two
webapps run fine, the servlet doesn't function until Tomcat is restarted.

Is there some setting or configuration I'm missing which would cause the
servlet to restart after it has 'idled off', or have I put the servlet
mapping in the wrong place?

Any advice would help greatly,

Thanks,

Nat.

--
Nat Titman
Developer

MitchellConnerSearson
3-5 High Pavement
The Lace Market
Nottingham  NG1 1HF
Tel +44 (0)115 959 6455
Fax +44 (0)115 959 6456
Direct +44 (0)115 959 6462
www.choosemcs.co.uk

Confidentiality: This e-mail and its attachments are intended
for the above named only and may be confidential. If they have
come to you in error you must take no action based on them,
nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this
e-mail and highlight the error.

Security Warning: Please note that this e-mail has been
created in the knowledge that Internet e-mail is not a 100%
secure communications medium. We advise that you understand
and observe this lack of security when e-mailing us.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this
e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that
in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should
ensure they are actually virus free.