Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by st...@atomic9.net on 2006/03/05 14:53:59 UTC

Win32 Noob Needs CLI Diff Tool

It appears that the WebSvn folks recommend the Cygwin diff tool for
Win32. I'd rather not download and manage all of the Cygwin bits just to
get a good free diff. Can anyone recommend a decent Win32 CLI diff tool? As
bonus, can anyone recommend something that diff's (un)common binary file
types like .doc, etc as a stand-alone app (regardless of price)?

Thanks.

  --
  http://www.atomic9.net/

Re: Win32 Noob Needs CLI Diff Tool

Posted by Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org>.
On 5-Mar-06, at 9:53 AM, <st...@atomic9.net> <st...@atomic9.net>
wrote:

> It appears that the WebSvn folks recommend the Cygwin diff tool for
> Win32. I'd rather not download and manage all of the Cygwin bits
> just to
> get a good free diff. Can anyone recommend a decent Win32 CLI diff
> tool?

I use this:
http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/

 From the site:
"Here are some ports of common GNU utilities to native Win32. In this
context, native means the executables do only depend on the Microsoft
C-runtime (msvcrt.dll) and not an emulation layer like that provided
by Cygwin tools."

Scott

Re: Win32 Noob Needs CLI Diff Tool

Posted by Oliver Betz <li...@gmx.net>.
Carsten Koch wrote:

> Andrew Goodnough wrote:
> > I'm pretty vigilant about using free software but even I can't resist
> > the power of BeyondCompare for diffing when I'm on Windows.  I can't

Ack, Beyond Compare is great! It compares binary files with hex view,
images and a lot more. Supports ZIP files and FTP, handles timezone
problems, has scripting capabilities... Worth more than 30USD, and
volume licenses are even cheaper, e.g. 13USD at 10..49.

> Try kdiff3. It does that and a whole lot more!
> I absolutely love it. It's much better than any
> other graphical diff tool I ever tried.

Does this include Beyond Compare?

One thing BC doesn't support at the moment is three-way merge. That's
no problem for me, since I rarely have merge conflicts. The Tortoise
merge or merging manually in the sources is acceptable for me.

But if you say that KDiff3 is better than BC for other tasks, I'll
try it.

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen

Re: Win32 Noob Needs CLI Diff Tool

Posted by Carsten Koch <Ca...@icem.com>.
Andrew Goodnough wrote:
> I'm pretty vigilant about using free software but even I can't resist
> the power of BeyondCompare for diffing when I'm on Windows.  I can't
> vouch for it's binary diff ability but in addition to showing line
> comparisons it highlights the characters that changed on a particular
> line.

Try kdiff3. It does that and a whole lot more!
I absolutely love it. It's much better than any
other graphical diff tool I ever tried.
It's free and it's also available for windows.

Carsten.

Re: Win32 Noob Needs CLI Diff Tool

Posted by Andrew Goodnough <An...@wicourts.gov>.
I'm pretty vigilant about using free software but even I can't resist
the power of BeyondCompare for diffing when I'm on Windows.  I can't
vouch for it's binary diff ability but in addition to showing line
comparisons it highlights the characters that changed on a particular
line.  $30.00 well spent.

http://scootersoftware.com/

Andy

<C2...@nantan.messaging.atomic9.net>,

Posted by Stephen Rufle <sr...@salmonllc.com>.
Try
http://www.grigsoft.com/

*Feature of the Week:*
Compare It! can compare MS Word, Excel and PDF documents!

stevec@atomic9.net wrote:
> It appears that the WebSvn folks recommend the Cygwin diff tool for
> Win32. I'd rather not download and manage all of the Cygwin bits just to
> get a good free diff. Can anyone recommend a decent Win32 CLI diff tool? As
> bonus, can anyone recommend something that diff's (un)common binary file
> types like .doc, etc as a stand-alone app (regardless of price)?
>
> Thanks.
>

>   --
>   http://www.atomic9.net/

Stephen P Rufle
srufle@salmonllc.com
H:480-802-7173
Yahoo IM: stephen_rufle
AOL IM: stephen1rufle

Re: Win32 Noob Needs CLI Diff Tool

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@softlanding.com>.
<st...@atomic9.net> wrote on 03/05/2006 09:53:59 AM:

> It appears that the WebSvn folks recommend the Cygwin diff tool for
> Win32. I'd rather not download and manage all of the Cygwin bits just to

> get a good free diff. Can anyone recommend a decent Win32 CLI diff tool?
As
> bonus, can anyone recommend something that diff's (un)common binary file

> types like .doc, etc as a stand-alone app (regardless of price)?

I would think you could use the GnuWin32 tools for this:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/diffutils.htm

I have used their Gnu tools for a lot of other things instead of using
Cygwin, and it has always worked.

Mark