Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by SAVERIO FERRARO <sa...@hotmail.com> on 2007/04/27 17:52:16 UTC

IPv6 address in hostname

Hi all,
I have some problem with tomcat 5.5.17 and IPV6.
It works correctly when I try to access at Manager page with
http://[::1]:8080 and with http://[full ipv6 address]:8080.

But when I put the ipv6 address to access my application, like this:

<Host name="[2001:db8:290c:1291::1]" appBase="webapps"
       unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

Tomcat doesn't work!

With IPv4 address it worked but now doesn't run!
I can't put inside the hostname because I haven't i DNS.

May You help me?
Thanks.

Saverio FERRARO

Re: IPv6 address in hostname

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
And you know wot that tells me.... I better go get some sleep... ha ha
YES... you right, for some reason I thought something, and then tested wrong
and screwed up ;)
Nothing wrong... it works if you test it right... oops

Sorry Salvero... leading you up the garden path...
Leave <Host name="localhost"  ... and it should work if you dont have DNS
Think we confusing Aliases with setting up multiple web apps... ;)
I you do want to simulate full domain names for testing without a DNS you
can set them up in the HOST file of the machine
(windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) and map them to 127.0.0.1 or the Global
IPV6 address

... good nite ;)

>From CHUCK....
As they should, since the name attribute on a <Host> element has nothing
at all to do with IP addresses.  It is used only to symbolically match
the host portion of an incoming URI to an appropriate <Host> element in
server.xml; if no match is made, the request is given to the default
host declared on the <Engine> element.

If you want to control IP addresses, set them on the <Connector>
element.  When no addresses are specified, a <Connector> binds to
0.0.0.0 (and the IPv6 equivalent, if that's in use), and can accept
requests over any interface.

 - Chuck

RE: IPv6 address in hostname

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Johnny Kewl [mailto:john@kewlstuff.co.za]
> Subject: Re: IPv6 address in hostname
>
> To elaborate a little more, as soon as I install IPV6 on
> XP SP2 running Tomcat 5.5.17 ALL address's seem to map to
> LOCALHOST.... and they ALL work.

As they should, since the name attribute on a <Host> element has nothing
at all to do with IP addresses.  It is used only to symbolically match
the host portion of an incoming URI to an appropriate <Host> element in
server.xml; if no match is made, the request is given to the default
host declared on the <Engine> element.

If you want to control IP addresses, set them on the <Connector>
element.  When no addresses are specified, a <Connector> binds to
0.0.0.0 (and the IPv6 equivalent, if that's in use), and can accept
requests over any interface.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

Re: IPv6 address in hostname

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
YES!  I have found this to...
To elaborate a little more, as soon as I install IPV6 on XP SP2 running
Tomcat 5.5.17
ALL address's seem to map to LOCALHOST.... and they ALL work.

ie
<Host name="localhost"   ..... will display ANY IP coming in a request...

BUT if you actually put in

<Host name="Host Name" ..... that will stop working
<Host name="IPV6" ..... that IP will stop working
<Host name="10.0.0.4" ..... that IP will stop working

BUT if you take them out.... they all work through LOCALHOST.... even from a
browser on another machine.

If you look at wot actually comes into the servlet

http localhost   -> 0.0.0.0
http HOSTNAME   -> 0.0.0.0
http GLOBAL IPv6  -> 0.0.0.0
http 127.0.0.1  ->  127.0.0.1 (that works)
http 10.0.0.4   ->   10.0.0.4  (that works..... but it shouldnt   only
localhost is setup)

So... something aint right... but I'm not sure if this is something to do
with XP SP2 or a genuine bug.

Anyway Saverio.... as you said localhost is working on anything... so just
take the other mappings out... and hopefully you dont need to access the IP
in the program.

Perhaps this all starts working correctly when one maps to domain names....
havnt had a chance to test that, but I dont think it will work.
Maybe a guru can check this out.....
Or.... even if someone could describe the behaviour of IPv6 on linux... that
would tell us if its a MS funny.

Saverio I saw you in the Apache group.... yes good idea to try use Apache as
a IPv6 frontend and map to IP4 on JK... but they dont seem to be too into
Apache IPv6 on Win32... no builds out there. :(
When I get around to it I'll try build Apache for Win32 IPv6... have to load
up Visual Studio... not looking forward to it ;)

Re: IPv6 address in hostname

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
SAVERIO FERRARO schrieb:

> But when I put the ipv6 address to access my application, like this:
>
> <Host name="[2001:db8:290c:1291::1]" appBase="webapps"
>        unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
>        xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
>
> Tomcat doesn't work!

What exactly does "Tomcat doesn't work" mean (error message, stacktrace,

Have you tried setting the address without the braces, i. e.
<Host name="2001:db8:290c:1291::1"
?

Regards
  mks