Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Marcos Rico Peng <ma...@linkedin.com.INVALID> on 2023/02/10 20:51:46 UTC

Reporting a Potential Bug in Apache ZooKeeper Code

Dear Apache ZooKeeper Committee,

I hope this email finds you well. I am reaching out to bring to your attention a potential bug that I have discovered in the Apache ZooKeeper code while working on a project.

I have noticed that the behavior of PERSISTENT, EPHEMERAL, CONTAINER, and TTL nodes is as expected. However, when trying to access the type by checking the EphemeralOwner parameter of a node's stat, it returns the same value (0x0) for all node types except EPHEMERAL. This suggests that there may be an issue with the implementation of EphemeralType.get(). I am using Zookeeper version 3.6.

To reproduce this issue I activated Zookeeper extended usage and created different nodes of different types. They all behave as expected but the EphemeralOwner parameter is 0x0. This conflicts with the documentation https://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.6.3/apidocs/zookeeper-server/index.html.

I would like to inquire if there is another way of retrieving the node type or if this is indeed a bug in the code. If so, I would be grateful if you could provide me with any relevant documentation or code references that I can use to further understand the issue.

Thank you for your time and efforts in maintaining Apache ZooKeeper. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,

Marcos

Re: Reporting a Potential Bug in Apache ZooKeeper Code

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Marcos,

Il Sab 11 Feb 2023, 21:12 Marcos Rico Peng <ma...@linkedin.com.invalid> ha
scritto:

> Dear Apache ZooKeeper Committee,
>

> I hope this email finds you well. I am reaching out to bring to your
> attention a potential bug that I have discovered in the Apache ZooKeeper
> code while working on a project.
>

> I have noticed that the behavior of PERSISTENT, EPHEMERAL, CONTAINER, and
> TTL nodes is as expected. However, when trying to access the type by
> checking the EphemeralOwner parameter of a node's stat, it returns the same
> value (0x0) for all node types except EPHEMERAL. This suggests that there
> may be an issue with the implementation of EphemeralType.get(). I am using
> Zookeeper version 3.6.

What's your usecase?
Why the application needs to know the type?

Enrico