Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Tobias Wehrum <Le...@dragonlab.de> on 2009/04/22 23:15:13 UTC

Re: [T5] Persistent fields may not be updated until after the page has finished loading

Does that mean that for every persistent variable you have to write a

if (field == null) field = new Anything();

in the SetupRender? Is there no easier way?

Cheers,
Tobias

Posted by Felix Gonschorek <fe...@gg-media.biz>.
My suggestion: care for the initialization in the getters - this works best for
me. Like this:

public MyBusinessBean getBean() {
  if (this.bean == null) {
    this.bean = new MyBusinessBean();
  }
  return this.bean;
}

works for pages and components... (onActivate!!)

Felix

Tobias Wehrum schrieb:
> Does that mean that for every persistent variable you have to write a
>
> if (field == null) field = new Anything();
>
> in the SetupRender? Is there no easier way?
>
> Cheers,
> Tobias
>
> Marcel Sammut schrieb:
>> I had the same problem when moving to 5.0.16.  It was pretty simple
>> for me,
>> since what I was doing was initializing my persistant variables in the
>> declaration.  What I did was move the initialization to the SetupRender
>> phase of the cycle.
>>
>> Hope that works for you too.
>> Cheers,
>> Marcel
>>

>> Eric Ma wrote:
>>
>>> Why was this restriction introduced in 5.0.16?  It completely breaks our
>>> application.  If the benefit is marginal, can we roll back to the
>>> original
>>> behavior?  Or alternatively, what is a "better" practice under 5.0.16?
>>> Thanks,

Felix Gonschorek
GG-Media

Kirchstr. 18