Posted to users@flex.apache.org by bilbosax <wa...@comcast.net> on 2016/11/13 02:52:35 UTC

Question Regarding Transition Performance

I am writing a mobile app for the iPad.  It has a component that hides just
off the bottom of the screen that contains a list with a custom
itemrenderer.  When I tap a button in the app, it causes the component to
slide up onto the screen using a Move transition.  The problem is that it
takes 5 seconds after tapping the button for the component to move onto the
screen and I can't find the issue.  I traced when the button gets tapped,
and when the transition is called, and both happen immediately after the
tap, but then it takes 5 seconds for the component to move onto the screen.
The component is created when the app opens, so I would think that it is
ready to move into position on a button click.  The only other thing I can
think of is that the itemrenderer for the list is taking some time to form.
Every following click of the button causes the component to move into
position fairly quickly, but it is the first time that is taking the
longest.

Is there something I can do to see what is happening once the transition is
called?  Is there a way to listen for the transition firing?  Is there a way
to listen for when the item renderer is complete?

Any thoughts would be helpful.  Thanks!

Re: Question Regarding Transition Performance

Posted by bilbosax <wa...@comcast.net>.
Thanks for your help Josh.  I was able to get it to work by adding
-advanced-telemetry=true in the Flash Builder Compiler(I have FB 4.5 and
didn't realize you could use this command if you have the right SDK
installed), and then I packaged it using ADT with the command -sampler
added.  Those two things made it so that Scout could give me detailed
information.  Now I can finally take a look at what is going on!  Thanks
again

Re: Question Regarding Transition Performance

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
If you're letting Flash Builder or another IDE package the IPA, then yes,
it's probably rebuilding the SWF. You may need to manually package it with
adt on the command line, if you want to use SWF Scout Enabler.

Or upgrade your SDK so that you can use the advanced-telemetry compiler
option. The Apache Flex SDK supports it, and you'll get all the latest Flex
bug fixes too! This is probably the best option.

- Josh

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
As long as your SDK supports the -advanced-telemetry=true compiler option,
you should be able to use Scout, regardless of which IDE you are using.

In the past, I've successfully used Renaun Erickson's SWF Scout Enabler
when compiling with legacy SDKs that don't support -advanced-telemetry=true:

http://renaun.com/blog/2012/12/enable-advanced-telemetry-on-flex-or-old-swfs-with-swf-scount-enabler/

- Josh

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
Download the Scout app on your mobile device and connect it to Scout
running on your desktop.

- Josh

Posted by bilbosax <wa...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
A profiler should shed some light on this.

-Alex