Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/01 01:37:00 UTC

[VOTE] Release commons-parent 13

Hi,

I'd like to release version 13 of the commons-parent pom - the changes
since the last release are:

 - Upgrade to use commons-build-plugin 1.2 (for improved download pages)
 - Change OSGi config to not import exported packages
 - only generate javadocs, rather than full site in the "rc" profile
(fixes problem with multi-module components)
 - Upgrade from version 4 to 7 of the apache parent pom
 - Upgrade maven plugins to latest release versions

A full diff of the pom.xml can be found at this address:
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/commons-parent/trunk/pom.xml?r1=917324&r2=827809&diff_format=h

The version number in the pom will be updated automatically during the
release process.

[ ] +1
[ ] =0
[ ] -1

Vote is open for 72 hours

Niall

Re: [VOTE] Release commons-parent 13

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:10 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/03/2010, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 01/03/2010, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > Hi,
>>  >
>>  >  I'd like to release version 13 of the commons-parent pom - the changes
>>  >  since the last release are:
>>  >
>>  >   - Upgrade to use commons-build-plugin 1.2 (for improved download pages)
>>  >   - Change OSGi config to not import exported packages
>>  >   - only generate javadocs, rather than full site in the "rc" profile
>>  >  (fixes problem with multi-module components)
>>  >   - Upgrade from version 4 to 7 of the apache parent pom
>>  >   - Upgrade maven plugins to latest release versions
>>  >
>>  >  A full diff of the pom.xml can be found at this address:
>>  >  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/commons-parent/trunk/pom.xml?r1=917324&r2=827809&diff_format=h
>>  >
>>  >  The version number in the pom will be updated automatically during the
>>  >  release process.
>>  >
>>  >  [ ] +1
>>  >  [ ] =0
>>  >  [ ] -1
>>  >
>>  >  Vote is open for 72 hours
>>

>> I've discovered a problem with the parent pom:
>>
>>  javadoc:jar reports:
>>
>>  [INFO]    task-segment: [javadoc:jar]
>>  [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>  [WARNING] DEPRECATED [aggregate]: since 2.5. Use the goals
>>  instead.
>>  [INFO] [javadoc:jar {execution: default-cli}]
>>  [INFO]
>>

> Deleting line 330
>    <aggregate>false</aggregate>
> seems to do the trick when experimenting with EXEC, but I've no idea
> if dropping the line will cause errors in other projects.

I have removed this.

> Also just noticed that
>
> mvn javadoc:test-jar
>
> does not include the N&L files in the jar,

I looked at fixing this - but we currently have the "antrun" plugin
configured to do this - but it doesn''t get executed when that single
goal is done (neither does mvn javadoc:jar include the N&L - its tied
to a standard phase, so you have to do something like mvn package. So
unless someone else has an idea, I don't know how to fix this.

> and the MANIFEST does not
> have the same details as the main code javadoc jar. Not essential, but
> if it can be fixed easily then let's add it?

I've fixed this - also same problem occurred whe running mvn
javadoc:jar which is now fixed:

Niall

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 1:10 PM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/03/2010, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 01/03/2010, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > Hi,
>>  >
>>  >  I'd like to release version 13 of the commons-parent pom - the changes
>>  >  since the last release are:
>>  >
>>  >   - Upgrade to use commons-build-plugin 1.2 (for improved download pages)
>>  >   - Change OSGi config to not import exported packages
>>  >   - only generate javadocs, rather than full site in the "rc" profile
>>  >  (fixes problem with multi-module components)
>>  >   - Upgrade from version 4 to 7 of the apache parent pom
>>  >   - Upgrade maven plugins to latest release versions
>>  >
>>  >  A full diff of the pom.xml can be found at this address:
>>  >  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/commons-parent/trunk/pom.xml?r1=917324&r2=827809&diff_format=h
>>  >
>>  >  The version number in the pom will be updated automatically during the
>>  >  release process.
>>  >
>>  >  [ ] +1
>>  >  [ ] =0
>>  >  [ ] -1
>>  >
>>  >  Vote is open for 72 hours
>>

>> I've discovered a problem with the parent pom:
>>
>>  javadoc:jar reports:
>>
>>  [INFO]    task-segment: [javadoc:jar]
>>  [INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>  [WARNING] DEPRECATED [aggregate]: since 2.5. Use the goals
>>  instead.
>>  [INFO] [javadoc:jar {execution: default-cli}]
>>  [INFO]
>>

> Deleting line 330
>    <aggregate>false</aggregate>
> seems to do the trick when experimenting with EXEC, but I've no idea
> if dropping the line will cause errors in other projects.

Its a deprecation so I wouldn't describe it as a problem - but we
should remove it. I doubt it has any impact as its being set to the
default value anyway. Most components are simple (single module)  and
I'm sure it will have no impact on them. Probably a good idea to check
out the multi-module components we have (vfs, jci) - but I'd be
surprised if it had any impact.

> Also just noticed that
>
> mvn javadoc:test-jar
>
> does not include the N&L files in the jar, and the MANIFEST does not
> have the same details as the main code javadoc jar. Not essential, but
> if it can be fixed easily then let's add it?

I'm not convinced (despite [1]) we actually need N&L files for javadoc
jars - we play it safe for those we distribute by putting them in, but
I think this would be just *noise* in our build for test javadoc jars
which we are not distributing in any releases.

Niall

[1] http://markmail.org/message/cnmhhqpk5o6hlv7e

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
Doh! Forgot to vote - although it seems implied to me.

Anyway I'm +1

Niall

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1

-Rahul

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 07/03/2010, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 2:17 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On 03/03/2010, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >> I have made a couple of more changes following Sebb's comments:
>  >>   - removed the deprecated <aggregate> parameter
>  >>   - moved the javadoc/source plugins MANIFEST config to the
>  >>  <dependencyManagement> section:
>  >>
>  >>  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=918281
>  >>
>  >>  I'll extend the vote by 48hrs so that anyone who already voted has
>  >>  time to change their vote if they want.
>  >
>  > Just a thought - how about adding
>  >
>  > <quiet>true</quiet>
>  >
>  > to the javadoc plugin config?
>  >
>  > Most of the output it generates is just noise, and makes it hard to
>  > see what else is going on.
>  >
>  > ISTR that the site target also generates a lot of noise - dunno
>  > whether it is possible to quieten that too.
>

> We can consider those for the next version. Really though it would be
>  much better to bring up additional changes before the vote - I did
>  give a *heads up* with plenty of time before calling a vote:

I know, but I only just came across the Javadoc problem on another
project, and thought it might be a trivial enough change to include.
But OK to leave for 14.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 08/03/2010, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 2:17 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 03/03/2010, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >> I have made a couple of more changes following Sebb's comments:
>  >>   - removed the deprecated <aggregate> parameter
>  >>   - moved the javadoc/source plugins MANIFEST config to the
>  >>  <dependencyManagement> section:
>  >>
>  >>  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=918281
>  >>
>  >>  I'll extend the vote by 48hrs so that anyone who already voted has
>  >>  time to change their vote if they want.
>  >
>  > Just a thought - how about adding
>  >
>  > <quiet>true</quiet>
>  >
>  > to the javadoc plugin config?
>

> Quiet says it shuts off info and warning messages - do we really want
>  to get rid of warnings?
>
>  http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin/javadoc-mojo.html#quiet

Unfortunately there is so much output that it's very easy to overlook
a few warnings.

Besides, Javadoc warnings are not particularly serious.

But I agree - if we could just eliminate the informational messages it
would be better.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13/03/2010, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08/03/2010, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 2:17 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > > On 03/03/2010, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >> I have made a couple of more changes following Sebb's comments:
>  >  >>   - removed the deprecated <aggregate> parameter
>  >  >>   - moved the javadoc/source plugins MANIFEST config to the
>  >  >>  <dependencyManagement> section:
>  >  >>
>  >  >>  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=918281
>  >  >>
>  >  >>  I'll extend the vote by 48hrs so that anyone who already voted has
>  >  >>  time to change their vote if they want.
>  >  >
>  >  > Just a thought - how about adding
>  >  >
>  >  > <quiet>true</quiet>
>  >  >
>  >  > to the javadoc plugin config?
>  >
>  >
>  > Quiet says it shuts off info and warning messages - do we really want
>  >  to get rid of warnings?
>

> No it doesn't - and no we don't ;-)
>

>  >  http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-javadoc-plugin/javadoc-mojo.html#quiet
>  >

> quiet   "Shuts off non-error and non-warning messages, leaving only
>  the warnings and errors appear, making them easier to view. "
>
>  Seems to me to be exactly what we want.

I've tried it, and Javadoc warnings are still generated, so I've put
it in commons-parent.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 08/03/2010, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 2:17 AM, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 03/03/2010, Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >> I have made a couple of more changes following Sebb's comments:
>  >>   - removed the deprecated <aggregate> parameter
>  >>   - moved the javadoc/source plugins MANIFEST config to the
>  >>  <dependencyManagement> section:
>  >>
>  >>  http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=918281
>  >>
>  >>  I'll extend the vote by 48hrs so that anyone who already voted has
>  >>  time to change their vote if they want.
>  >
>  > Just a thought - how about adding
>  >
>  > <quiet>true</quiet>
>  >
>  > to the javadoc plugin config?
>

> Quiet says it shuts off info and warning messages - do we really want
>  to get rid of warnings?

No it doesn't - and no we don't ;-)

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Release commons-parent 13

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Niall Pemberton a écrit :
> This vote has passed with five +1 votes (three binding) from the
> following people:
>
> Rahul Akolkar
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> Mladen Turk
> Phil Steitz
> Niall Pemberton

I thought I voted too (+1), but may have forgotten, sorry for that.

Luc

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 03/01/2010 01:37 AM, Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>
>> [X] +1
>> [ ] =0
>> [ ] -1
>>

> BTW, where can we get the full invocation
> documentation. All I see on commons site is
> maven 1 documentation and usage guidelines.

Thats something we need to write, sorry :(

Niall

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
+1