Posted to user@spark.apache.org by charles li <ch...@gmail.com> on 2016/02/01 07:31:28 UTC

how to introduce spark to your colleague if he has no background about *** spark related

*Apache Spark™* is a fast and general engine for large-scale data
processing.

it's a good profile of spark, but it's really too short for lots of people
if then have little background in this field.

ok, frankly, I'll give a tech-talk about spark later this week, and now I'm
writing a slide about that, but I'm stuck at the first slide.

I'm going to talk about three question about spark in the first part of my
talk, for most of my colleagues has no background on spark, hadoop, so I
want to talk :

1. the background of birth of spark
2. pros and cons of spark, or the situations that spark is going to handle,
or why we use spark
3. the basic principles of spark,
4. the basic conceptions of spark

have anyone met kinds of this problem, introduce spark to one who has no
background on your field? and I hope you can tell me how you handle this
problem at that time, or give some ideas about the 4 sections mentioned
above.

great thanks.

--
*--------------------------------------*
a spark lover, a quant, a developer and a good man.

http://github.com/litaotao

RE: how to introduce spark to your colleague if he has no background about *** spark related

Posted by Mohammed Guller <mo...@glassbeam.com>.
Hi Charles,

You may find slides 16-20 from this deck useful:
http://www.slideshare.net/mg007/big-data-trends-challenges-opportunities-57744483

I used it for a talk that I gave to MS students last week. I wanted to give them some context before describing Spark.

It doesn’t cover all the stuff that you have on your agenda, but I would be happy to guide you. Feel free to send me a direct email.

Mohammed
My 2 cents. Concepts are always boring to the people with zero background. Use examples to show how easy and powerful Spark is! Use cases are also useful for them. Downloaded the slides in Spark summit. I believe you can find a lot of interesting ideas!

Tomorrow, I am facing similar issues, but the audiences are three RDBMS engine experts. I will go over the paper Spark SQL in Sigmod 2015 with them and show them the source codes.

Good luck!

Xiao Li

It depends of course on the background of the people but how about some examples ("word count") how it works in the background.

Posted by Xiao Li <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.