Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net> on 2005/04/12 22:39:02 UTC

I like this one.... Particularly the BS from Yahoo.....

s=s1024; d=yahoo.com;
b=FU1UmmgKvRlCBEUg1CKomcMMxShgfcM6WKgaJSOKD9D0tUHOxKzy603V5zIMC3MtpLdfh9CN/aRG7HzHYI2nIPlWHYJyO8PxAAl3qroxRQY3KDINcs+qaZSygSnd/nXp+5Yk1fezlUnFxDtEdUcy5YEQ676bu/ksh4+xL8UWivM=
;

Hmmm - that worked well then.....

Anyone else getting these or have I just annoyed someone? :-D

Admittedly, annoying Yahoo may not necessarily be a bad thing....

Nigel

Re: I like this one.... Particularly the BS from Yahoo.....

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Nigel Frankcom wrote:

>Admittedly not much,
>
>My biggest issue was yahoo sporting anti spam options in a spam mail.

My biggest issue would be the assumption that domainkeys is an anti-spam
option. It's not. Period. No matter what some people at slashdot might
think, it is NOT an anti-spam technique.

Domainkeys, like SPF, is an anti forgery technology. Nothing more.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is overstating it's benefits or does not
understand the technology.

While anti-forgery techniques are slightly helpful to the anti-spam
community in tracking down the actual source of a message, they do not
in any way prevent someone from sending spam that is not forged.

Really all this buys you is discouraging forgery by making it easy to
detect. This has the side effect that when spam isn't forged, it's
easier to get the originating accounts terminated.

That's all it offers in terms of anti-spam efforts. It's not really
much, but it's a lot better than looking at the RDNS names in the

(Sorry for the soap box, but this particular misconception is particularly common, and one that needs to be eliminated from further propagation.)

Re: Re: I like this one.... Particularly the BS from Yahoo.....

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net>.
Admittedly not much,

My biggest issue was yahoo sporting anti spam options in a spam mail.

I probably shoulda thought a tad more about the post and a tad less
about my beer :-D

It struck me as amusing and a solid example of how the best plans can
bite one in the ass :-D

Apols if any annoyance caused :-D

Nigel

Posted by Kenneth Porter <sh...@sewingwitch.com>.
--On Tuesday, April 12, 2005 7:29 PM -0400 Matt Kettler

Wouldn't it be better to host that page at antiforgery.yahoo.com? ;)

Re: I like this one.... Particularly the BS from Yahoo.....

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Nigel Frankcom wrote:

>Point accepted, but - why do they market it as such?
>
>Nigel

I don't see them (yahoo) marketing it as an anti-spam solution. They
market it as a tool to solve problems that anti-spam efforts face
(spoofing).

http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys/

Of course, the fact that the associate themselves at all with anti-spam
efforts causes a lot of trade rags to call it an "anti-spam solution",
but what else do you expect from trade rags? They throw up headlines
that over-state the facts all the time.

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5164279.html

Headline: Yahoo, Sendmail to test antispam system

*From the story quoting a Yahoo VP *"In working with Sendmail, and other
industry leaders, we are able to develop a powerful authentication
solution to solve the spoofing problem and lay the foundation for future
antispam advances,"
*
Gotta love how the headline doesn't match the story..

 But "Yahoo, sendmail to test authentication system with hopes of aiding
future antispam efforts" won't attract as many readers.

Don't believe the headlines, they're nearly always lying about the real
facts to grab your attention.

*

Re: Re: I like this one.... Particularly the BS from Yahoo.....

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net>.
Point accepted, but - why do they market it as such?

Nigel

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.