Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org> on 2014/02/12 23:29:03 UTC

DISCUSS: Go "all in" on github integration

As some folks may know, apache infra has been making lots of improvements
to how the users of the github mirrors of ASF projects can interact with
the regular apache dev cycle.

A while back, some of these features were enabled for the Lucene/Solr code
base, and we have already had a few contributions submitted as Github Pull
Requests that were then committed.

Infra has recently announced more autoamted integration between github
concepts and regular Apache work flow on the mailing lists & Jira -- on a
per-project Opt-In basis...

https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/improved_integration_between_apache_and

...It's not entirely clear to me how fine grained the enable/disable
controls are for some of these features -- wether we already have all of
these features enabled based on our past infra requests, or if we need to
"opt-in again" to the new ones before we'll see any changes ... but my
suggestion is that we file a Jira with infra that says something to the
effect of...

  "The Lucene PMC wishs to opt-in on any and all github related project
   linkages that are available that we may not already be opted-in to."

Any objections?

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/

RE: DISCUSS: Go "all in" on github integration

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
+1

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de

Posted by "David Smiley (@MITRE.org)" <DS...@mitre.org>.
Nice!
And I see the infra ticket was "fixed" today.
Hopefully it will encourage more contributions.  If someone can show an
example of this in action (not necessarily Lucene/Solr) it'd be nice to see.

Unfortunately, there's still a huge gap between an actual bona-fide GitHub
run project, and what we have with respect to us committers.  Although
perhaps for a contributing user there is little difference now, and that's
fantastic since that's part of the point of being on GitHub -- ease of
contribution.

~ David

Chris Hostetter-3 wrote

-----
 Author: http://www.packtpub.com/apache-solr-3-enterprise-search-server/book

Re: DISCUSS: Go "all in" on github integration

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.
OK, so all I need is to reply and change the To to jira@apache.org? I'll
give it a try.

Shai

Posted by Shai Erera <se...@gmail.com>.
+1.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
+1

Tommaso

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
+1 to opt-in

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 3:59 AM, Chris Hostetter
<ho...@fucit.org> wrote:

> As some folks may know, apache infra has been making lots of improvements to
> how the users of the github mirrors of ASF projects can interact with the
> regular apache dev cycle.
>
> A while back, some of these features were enabled for the Lucene/Solr code
> base, and we have already had a few contributions submitted as Github Pull
> Requests that were then committed.
>
> Infra has recently announced more autoamted integration between github
> concepts and regular Apache work flow on the mailing lists & Jira -- on a
> per-project Opt-In basis...
>
> https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/improved_integration_between_apache_and
>
> ...It's not entirely clear to me how fine grained the enable/disable
> controls are for some of these features -- wether we already have all of
> these features enabled based on our past infra requests, or if we need to
> "opt-in again" to the new ones before we'll see any changes ... but my
> suggestion is that we file a Jira with infra that says something to the
> effect of...
>
>  "The Lucene PMC wishs to opt-in on any and all github related project
>   linkages that are available that we may not already be opted-in to."
>

> Any objections?
>

> -Hoss
> http://www.lucidworks.com/

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: DISCUSS: Go "all in" on github integration

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@heliosearch.com>.
Big +1!

-Yonik
http://heliosearch.org - native off-heap filters and fieldcache for solr