Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk> on 2006/02/26 06:17:51 UTC

[Fwd:[Axis2] WSRF Implementation]

FYI

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	WSRF Implementation
Date: 	Fri, 24 Feb 2006 17:06:17 -0500
From: 	Hawkins, Joel <Jo...@compuware.com>
To: 	axis-dev@ws.apache.org

Hello Axis,

I have a question in regard to a WSRF implementation for Axis2. Does anyone
know if this is currently being worked on? I'm part of a team that's
initiating an Eclipse project (http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/corona/)
with a goal of joining the Eclipse plugin/OSGi Service programming model
with a SOA deployment model. So far I've been able to host Axis2 in the
Eclipse OSGi environment quite easily, and am in the process of rehosting
the Axis deployment artifacts (axis2.xml, module and service.xml) as Eclipse
endpoints. Kudos to the designers -  btw. It's all nicely done and quite
extensible.

My end goal is to provide WSDM-based access to Eclipse-hosted plugins and
artifacts, and for that I need WSRF. If a port of WSRF or Muse to Axis2 is
on your roadmap, I'd be happy to help out.

Thanks,
Joel Hawkins

and then destroy it.

Re: [Fwd:[Axis2] WSRF Implementation]

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> AFAIK no one has so far signed up to doing a WSRF impl over Axis2. If
> you're willing to do it that's very cool!
>
> When you're ready we can create a new maven module for that code or if
> its more appropriate you can talk to Muse folks and ask them what their
> plans are. To be honest, I haven't looked at Muse at all so have no idea
> how easy/hard it'll be to port to Axis2 vs. writing one from scratch.

I have hints of a WSRF app on the smartfrog repo, but its all LGPL so
you can't use it.

What you could do is look at the architecture which has the following
features
  -uses URIs to index things, not the fancy (and unstable, less
interoperable) WS-A reference props/params
  -doesnt have a simple resource -> object binding. Instead each
endpoint gets to provide its own mapping code, which is useful for a
high availability solution where state can be stored in a db,
tuple-space or whatever.
  -does not use xmlbeans, but works at the Axiom level. Keeps it
lightweight.

The thing to remember is that although you could export object instances
as WSRF endpoints, you shouldn't. distributed object applications have
known failures, which we don't want to reimplement.

Not looked at muse; don't know its current state.

=steve

Re: [Fwd:[Axis2] WSRF Implementation]

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
AFAIK no one has so far signed up to doing a WSRF impl over Axis2. If
you're willing to do it that's very cool!

When you're ready we can create a new maven module for that code or if
its more appropriate you can talk to Muse folks and ask them what their
plans are. To be honest, I haven't looked at Muse at all so have no idea
how easy/hard it'll be to port to Axis2 vs. writing one from scratch.

Sanjiva.