Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Adam Malejko <ad...@malejko.com> on 2014/04/29 02:52:41 UTC

IDE upgrade options

Long time Flex developer and lurker; never posted - never needed to.

I finally got the go-ahead to upgrade to Flash Builder 4.7 premium a little
while ago, along with upgrading to the latest Apache Flex SDK. Little did I
know that the Flash Builder upgrade was not technically possible. I have v3
and v4.5 premium keys (yet use v4.6), but no v4 premium or v4.5 standard
key which would technically work to upgrade from.

So after chatting and talking to Adobe representatives, I believe it's time
to look at my options.

1) Does anyone know how I can possibly upgrade to v4.7 without having to
buy the full $699 v4.7 license? $49 to upgrade from v4 sounds great! Even
$499 isn't terrible, but after sticking with them for this long I am being
forced to buy the full version for $699? Really? In the buying guide [1],
you see that "n/a" in there? That's me. SOL.

2) I've used Flash Builder for many years now and haven't really looked at
the other options until recently. How do IntelliJ IDEA, FDT and
Flashdevelop compare from a developers perspective? I'm only starting to
write mobile apps which triggered the update from the Adobe SDK.

3) Should I just install the Apache Flex SDK in Flash Builder 4.6? Will
that work for mobile apps?

[1]
http://www.adobe.com/ca/products/flash-builder/buying-guide.displayTab2.html

-Adam

Re: IDE upgrade options

Posted by Alexander Doroshko <al...@jetbrains.com>.
In case you decide to try IntelliJ IDEA you may find these quick start
guides helpful:
http://confluence.jetbrains.com/display/IntelliJIDEA/Flash+Development
Embedded help will shed more light on project setup. Also available
online: http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/webhelp/actionscript-and-flex.html
Any questions answered quickly in the forum:
http://devnet.jetbrains.com/community/idea/ideacommunity?view=discussions
Feature requests and bug reports are welcome in the issue tracker:
http://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issues/IDEA?q=%23Flash_Flex

Alexander

RE: IDE upgrade options

Posted by Adam Lang <Ad...@energyone.com.au>.
My company has 5 Flex developers, all developing blazeds style applications with IntelliJ and Apache Flex. We found that the benefits IntelliJ provides in terms of efficiency and ease of use far outweighed the few features FB has that IntelliJ doesn't. Given the quality gap between the two products we wouldn't ever consider moving back to FB.

Cheers,
Adam.

Re: IDE upgrade options

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Adam,

I would like to say that I have been using Intellij for 4 years occasionally
back to Flash Builder just for check how it works now. Every time I back to
Intellij, Flash Builder was slow for really big projects.
In my previous job I was one person from the team who have been used
Intellij and they have always problems with IDE I didn't.

I did migration some quite big app from Flex 4.5 to Apache Flex, developed
mobile app some time ago and I could say that Intellij works perfect in both
cases with Apache Flex.
Adam I highly recommend this IDE you won't regret. :)

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex Committer
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: IDE upgrade options

Posted by Adam Malejko <ad...@malejko.com>.
Thank you all for your responses and insight.

For now, my licensing issue is cleared up, and I will continue to use FB
4.7 with Flex 4.12. If Flash Builder doesn't make any more progress,
IntelliJ IDEA will more than likely be my next IDE.

Jeffrey Houser - Even the Adobe rep's don't seem to know about that
complimentary upgrade. It is an odd situation though.

Scott Matheson - I fully agree, and might do the same; running IDEA cold
turkey on something new. Using Flex 4.12 with FB 4.6 was not difficult
though.

Alexander Doroshko - I hope you read borekb's response.

borekb - your issues with IDEA were enlightening, yet both encouraging and
discouraging.

-Adam

Re: IDE upgrade options

Posted by Arne Brödel <ar...@googlemail.com>.

RE: IDE upgrade options

Posted by borekb <bo...@gmail.com>.
[...]

fix some deeper issues. Plus I could probably report a bug every 2-3 hours I
spend with IDEA which is an enormously high rate compared to the other IDEs.
(Note, though, that I see as "bugs" even relatively minor things; the main
workflow works fine, it's just that the product is much less polished than
what I got used to with other IDEs.)

Generally, despite some annoyances, I think that IDEA is a very good tool
for Flex development and would buy it again.

Borek

RE: IDE upgrade options

Posted by ma...@usmc.mil.
If you want a fast / small IDE FlashDevelop works great.  It is open source and has pretty good features, but is windows only ATM.   If you want a commercial product, you'll want to choose IntelliJ IDEA.  Especially since they are very active with development and responsive to user issues.  You'll find them responding in the users/dev lists quite often.

-Mark

Re: IDE upgrade options

Posted by Scott Matheson <sm...@intralinks.com>.
I have used FB since 3 I am on 4.6 and still used visual layout 1 or 2 times a day I could live with out it

I have run  IntelliJ IDEA on trial 2 times now and it is a quality product but there is a learning curve in my cases about 4 weeks

I think I will go cold turkey with my new project and move to  IntelliJ IDEA unless is see a 4.8 from Adobe, otherwise it looks like FB is a legacy product ie dead no new £ to be spent on it, adobe just milk the base which they are entitled to do

Did you find 4.6 with sdk 4.12 an easy install and setup ?

Sent from my iPhone

> On 29 Apr 2014, at 06:09, "Adam Malejko" <ad...@malejko.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you for your input thus far, everyone.
>
> For a little more background, my company still develops with LCDS, with a
> plan to switch to GraniteDS. I tried the FB 4.7 trial with Flex 4.12 and
> everything with our projects 'just works' (compiles at least; regression
> aside).
>
> My gut is saying to just stick with 4.6 for now and switch to Flashdevelop
> or Intellij (me being hopeful about the latter) eventually.
>
> The speed increase (64 bit; newer compiler) and overall familiarity / lack
> of training time with Flash Builder 4.7 is appealing tho.
>
> That being said, the sales and support at Adobe is not what it used to be...
>
> -Adam
>> On Apr 28, 2014 9:46 PM, "Alex Harui" <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
>>
>> Let me see if I can find some former Flex business folks and see what they
>> say.
>>
>> -Alex
>>
>>> On 4/28/14 5:52 PM, "Adam Malejko" <ad...@malejko.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Long time Flex developer and lurker; never posted - never needed to.
>>>
>>> I finally got the go-ahead to upgrade to Flash Builder 4.7 premium a
>>> little
>>> while ago, along with upgrading to the latest Apache Flex SDK. Little did
>>> know that the Flash Builder upgrade was not technically possible. I have
>>> v3
>>> and v4.5 premium keys (yet use v4.6), but no v4 premium or v4.5 standard
>>> key which would technically work to upgrade from.
>>>
>>> So after chatting and talking to Adobe representatives, I believe it's
>>> time
>>> to look at my options.
>>>
>>> 1) Does anyone know how I can possibly upgrade to v4.7 without having to
>>> buy the full $699 v4.7 license? $49 to upgrade from v4 sounds great! Even
>>> $499 isn't terrible, but after sticking with them for this long I am being
>>> forced to buy the full version for $699? Really? In the buying guide [1],
>>> you see that "n/a" in there? That's me. SOL.
>>>
>>> 2) I've used Flash Builder for many years now and haven't really looked at
>>> the other options until recently. How do IntelliJ IDEA, FDT and
>>> Flashdevelop compare from a developers perspective? I'm only starting to
>>> write mobile apps which triggered the update from the Adobe SDK.
>>>
>>> 3) Should I just install the Apache Flex SDK in Flash Builder 4.6? Will
>>> that work for mobile apps?
>>>

>>> [1]
>> http://www.adobe.com/ca/products/flash-builder/buying-guide.displayTab2.ht
>>> ml
>>>
>>> -Adam

________________________________

Disclaimer: This electronic mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this email, and destroy all copies of this email and any attachments. Thank you.

Re: IDE upgrade options

Posted by Adam Malejko <ad...@malejko.com>.

Re: IDE upgrade options

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

RE: IDE upgrade options

Posted by Saul Diaz <cr...@gmail.com>.
I like the data/services handle that FB have.

I've been using IntelliJ for Flex development and I am more than satisfied.
  The biggest draw of FB was the design view and then later the testing
ease.   I don't think it brings enough to the table to warrant dealing with
the licensing mayhem

--
Justin Dallas
Phone:814-880-5637