Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Manoj Samel <ma...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/07 23:55:41 UTC

Ways to manage user accounts on hadoop cluster when using kerberos security

Hi,

>From the documentation + code,  "when kerberos is enabled, all tasks are
run as the end user (e..g as user "joe" and not as hadoop user "mapred")
using the task-controller (which is setuid root and when it runs, it does a
setuid/setgid etc. to Joe and his groups ). For this to work, user "joe"
linux account has to be present on all nodes of the cluster."

In a environment with large and dynamic user population; it is not
practical to add every end user to every node of the cluster (and drop user
when end user is deactivated etc.)

What are other options get this working ?

I am assuming that if the users are in a LDAP, can using the PAM for LDAP
solve the issue.

Any other suggestions?

Manoj

Re: Ways to manage user accounts on hadoop cluster when using kerberos security

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
I recently found a pretty simple and easy way to set ldap up for my machines on rhel and wrote it up using jumpbox and authconfig.

If you are in the cloud and only need a quick easy ldap idh and nssswitch setup, this is I think the easiest / cheapest way to do it.

I know rhel and fedora come with authconfig not sure about the other Linux distros:

http://jayunit100.blogspot.com/2013/12/an-easy-way-to-centralize.html?m=1

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Ways to manage user accounts on hadoop cluster when using kerberos security

Posted by bc Wong <bc...@cloudera.com>.
LDAP/AD is pretty much it. You can also have Kerberos authenticate directly
to AD, or set up one-way trust between AD and MIT Kerberos. There are other
identity management systems that basically implement the same. At the end
of the day, you need to have (1) users in KDC (2) users on the nodes, and
(3) user-group mapping. And it makes sense for all three to come from the
same system.

Cheers,
bc

Posted by Vinod Kumar Vavilapalli <vi...@hortonworks.com>.