Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by kf...@collab.net on 2003/11/14 03:31:02 UTC

Subversion 0.33.0 released.

The latest interim release of Subversion is ready at

   http://svn.collab.net/tarballs/subversion-0.33.0.tar.gz

The MD5 checksum is 938b452b50d02eeb72b50c344b34d8de.

This release contains a number of major improvements, due to the
efforts of many people around the world.  I won't list them all by
name here, but... you know who you are.  Thanks.

Notes:

   - Despite earlier warnings, this release does NOT require a
     repository dump/load cycle.  (We've deferred those changes to
     the next release.)

   - If you run a mod_dav_svn server, you will need Apache HTTP
     Server 2.0.48, from http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi.

Please direct questions/comments to the users@subversion.tigris.org

Here is the CHANGES list for this release:

Version 0.33.0 (released 13 November 2003, revision r7737)
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/tags/0.33.0

                              NOTICES:

    1. This client may be incompatible with ra_dav servers <= 0.31.

    2. In order to make commits more responsive, repository
       deltification is no longer automatic.  However, you may want
       to run deltification as a background process in your repository
       post-commit hook.  For example, the new post-commit.tmpl file
       recommends 'nice -2 svnadmin deltify "$REPOS" -r "$REV" &'.

 User-visible changes:
 * now require APR/APU 0.9.5 (ships in Apache 2.0.48)
 * lose automatic deltification, but recommend it in post-commit (r7695, #1573)
 * new configuration and authn/authz support in ra_svn (r7604, r7601)
 * much faster checkouts and updates, over both svn:// and http:// (#1429)
 * new partial-authz feature: checkouts/updates just skip unauthorized items
 * new 'use-commit-times = yes' config option to use commit-time timestamps
 * new 'svnadmin hotcopy' command, like hot-backup.py (#1567)
 * fix Win32 "access denied" error in renames (r7598, #1576)
 * unnecessary working copy tree locks now avoided, to save time (#1245)
 * Compatibility changes:
    - lose ra_dav compatibility with servers 0.31 and earlier
    - lose support for working copy format "1" (not created for over a year)
 * 'svn diff' and other read-only actions now work in read-only working copies
 * 'svn blame -rX' now does the intuitive thing
 * 'svn log' output headers now say "rXXXX | " instead of "rev XXXX:  "
 * 'svnversion' no longer stymied by svn:externals
 * new 'svn pd' alias for 'svn propdel'
 * '-rCOMMITTED' keyword now works on more commands
 * minor changes to output of 'svn ls -v' and 'svn st -v' (r7530)
 * 'svn log --xml' now obeys the '-q' flag (r7555)
 * cvs2svn.py bugfixes, especially issue #1440
 * book and documentation updates
 * many other enhancements, minor features, and bugfixes not listed here

 Developer-visible changes:
 * repair text- and prop-time in .svn/entries if spuriously wrong (r7565)
 * speed up keyword translation (r7502)
 * two new editor functions, absent_file() and absent_directory()
 * ra_dav checkouts/updates no longer do O(n) number of GET, PROPFIND requests
 * new svn_io_temp_dir function, will morph to apr_temp_dir_get soon
 * new svn_io_file_close wrapper for apr_file_close
 * new helper scripts for testing, see tools/test-scripts/svntest/
 * many other changes not listed here

Re: Subversion 0.33.0 released.

Posted by Tobias Ringström <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.
The CHANGES file was missing the following user visible item for the
0.33.0 release:

  * removed server config options ssl-ignore-invalid-date and
    ssl-override-cert-hostname (r7644)

/Tobias

Re: Subversion 0.33.0 released.

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Junio C Hamano <ju...@cox.net> writes:

> Is there also "undeltify" available?

There used to be, in a different lifetime, but not anymore.

Re: Subversion 0.33.0 released.

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 01:00:59PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> kf>     2. In order to make commits more responsive, repository
> kf>        deltification is no longer automatic.  However, you may want
> kf>        to run deltification as a background process in your repository
> kf>        post-commit hook.  For example, the new post-commit.tmpl file
> kf>        recommends 'nice -2 svnadmin deltify "$REPOS" -r "$REV" &'.
>
> Is there also "undeltify" available?  In a long line of
> developement it would help update/diff performance to have full
> representation of old revisions, not just the youngest.  If the
> administrator wants to do elaborate setup, maybe keeping the
> last 3 revisions in full, and everything before that in delta
> except every 10 such old revisions are stored in full, or maybe
> make the intervals of such full representations exponential
> (i.e. the older the revisions, the sparser the revisions
> represented in full).

The magic of skip-deltas essentially solves this problem; you're
generally never more than log(N) deltas away from the fulltext.
For example, if you've got 1000000 revisions, that's likely to only
be 20 or so deltas to combine and apply.  Further, the magical
delta-combiner make this quite snappy.

See http://web.mit.edu/ghudson/thoughts/file-versioning for details.

--ben

Re: Subversion 0.33.0 released.

Posted by Junio C Hamano <ju...@cox.net>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Branko Čibej wrote:

>  Debug symbols (PDB):
>    Not uploaced yet; it'll take a while, thanks to (*unmentionable*)
>    MD5: d39a27e7e730c4df1ec43e8978584eba

Here they are:

    http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/8203/svn-win32-0.33.0_pdb.zip

Re: Subversion 0.33.0 released.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
The following 0.33.0 Win32 packages are now available:

  Binaries:
    http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/8191/svn-win32-0.33.0.zip
    MD5: bdfebf6cc015563490b0640db0d6500d

  Development libraries:
    http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/8190/svn-win32-0.33.0_dev.zip
    MD5: 4de227039cbf0ef139d2edd51419e64a

  Bindings for Python 2.3:
    http://subversion.tigris.org/files/documents/15/8193/svn-win32-0.33.0_py.zip
    MD5: 284cde4bc782e555baa4e0310d87b24b

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Tobias Ringstrom <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu> writes:
> Speaking of CHANGES... I missed the r7644 change in there. What is the
> best way to handle that? Should we put it in CHANGES for the next
> release or just ignore it?

Whups, sorry.

It shouldn't go into the CHANGES file for the next release, because
it's not a change in that release.  I'd say, put it in the CHANGES
file on trunk now, in the 0.33.0 section, and then make a post to
users@ about it.

Re: Subversion 0.33.0 released.

Posted by Tobias Ringstrom <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:

>brane@xbc.nu writes:
>

>>The change to WC format v4 ("svn:this_dir" -> "") should be mentioned here.
>>

>I considered this and decided not to list it.  Users will never know
>their working copies have been upgraded, most of the time.  The
>*visible* change here was the loss of support for v1 working copies,
>so that's what the changes list should show.

Unfortunately the error message is not very helpful when the wc version
does not match, so if you use an older version on an upgraded wc, all
you get is this:

 > svn up
svn: Path is not a working copy directory
svn: '.' is not a working copy

Not that anyone should ever have to downgrade, of course. :-) I'll
improve that message for trunk, but the older versions are of course
impossible to fix. :-(

Posted by br...@xbc.nu.
Quoting kfogel@collab.net:

>  User-visible changes:
>  * Compatibility changes:
>     - lose ra_dav compatibility with servers 0.31 and earlier
>     - lose support for working copy format "1" (not created for over a
>       year)

The change to WC format v4 ("svn:this_dir" -> "") should be mentioned here.

>  Developer-visible changes:
>  * new helper scripts for testing, see tools/test-scripts/svntest/

The scripts are not new, they've been there for ages. What's new is
that they now support ra_dav testing.

    Brane

Re: Subversion 0.33.0 released.

Posted by Steven Op de beeck <st...@student.kuleuven.ac.be>.
Frans Thamura wrote:
> Cool,
>
> waiting for Debian and RedHat RPM version

Are there going to be Fedora Core RPMS ?
Still having trouble building them myself.

Greets,
Steven

Re: Subversion 0.33.0 released.

Posted by Frans Thamura <ja...@intercitra.com>.
Cool,

waiting for Debian and RedHat RPM version

Regards,

Frans Thamura <fr...@intercitra.com>
Intercitra Innovation Center
+62 855 7888 699

We help you manage and control.

Re: Subversion 0.33.0 released.

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
"Carsten Schurig" <cs...@ebz-dresden.de> writes:

> cmpilato@localhost.localdomain <> wrote on Friday, November 14, 2003
> 3:45 PM:
>

> >> Is it safe doing this, going over all revisions for this, even they
> >> might have got delfified once?
> >
> > Totally safe.
>
> So I could run "deltify" as a process every night (just before or after
> I start the dump for backup)? Or is it bad for performance going over
> all the repos? I can remember the last deltified revision, though (as I
> do with the last dumped one).

Yes, you can.  But see my other mail (in the "Deltification" thread) on
the downside of not deltifying as early as possible.

RE: Subversion 0.33.0 released.

Posted by Carsten Schurig <cs...@ebz-dresden.de>.
cmpilato@localhost.localdomain <> wrote on Friday, November 14, 2003
3:45 PM:

>> Is it safe doing this, going over all revisions for this, even they
>> might have got delfified once?
>
> Totally safe.

So I could run "deltify" as a process every night (just before or after
I start the dump for backup)? Or is it bad for performance going over
all the repos? I can remember the last deltified revision, though (as I
do with the last dumped one).

Cheers,
	Carsten

Re: Subversion 0.33.0 released.

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de> writes:

> So when for some reason the postcommit hook fails or is forgotten, and I
> don't know the initial point where it happened I need to loop over all
> revisions in the repos and do a 'svnadmin deltify'?

Yessir.

> Is it safe doing this, going over all revisions for this, even they might
> have got delfified once?

Totally safe.

> Would just like to know it before something wents wrong, maybe
> once...

Had we all that power of foresight, nothing would ever go wrong.  Now
what kind of fun would that be?  :-)

Re: Subversion 0.33.0 released.

Posted by Roland Schwingel <Ro...@onevision.de>.

Hi....

> In conclusion: repository administrators who don't have an infinite
> amount of disk space will want to change their post-commit hooks to
> run deltification :-).
So when for some reason the postcommit hook fails or is forgotten, and I
don't know the initial point where it happened I need to loop over all
revisions in the repos and do a 'svnadmin deltify'?

Is it safe doing this, going over all revisions for this, even they might
have got delfified once?

Would just like to know it before something wents wrong, maybe once...

Roland

Paul Gross <pa...@grosss.net> writes:
> making a post-commit hook to run it?  I tried searching around, but I
> couldn't find a good explanation of what it is or why I need it.

This is something I probably should have explained more in the release
announcement.  Well, hopefully people will see it in this thread.  In
fact, I'll repeat the important part, just so people see it again:

    2. In order to make commits more responsive, repository
       deltification is no longer automatic.  However, you may want
       to run deltification as a background process in your repository
       post-commit hook.  For example, the new post-commit.tmpl file
       recommends 'nice -2 svnadmin deltify "$REPOS" -r "$REV" &'.

What is deltification?

Basically, Subversion stores (or is capable of storing) successive
revisions of a file in compressed form, thusly: the youngest revisions
is stoed in full, then the previous revision is stored as a diff
against that, and the next previous is a diff against the previous,
and so on back to the first revision of the file.

Until 0.33, it did this automatically.  Whenever you committed a
change to a file, Subversion would change the storage representation
of the previous revision to be a diff against the new version of the
file, to save space in the repository.

None of this is user visible, of course.  When Subversion retrieves a
file from a revision, it undoes any deltification and just hands you
the fulltext.

But unfortunately, there *was* a sense in which it was user-visible:
for large files, or many files, the deltification process could take
so long that it visibly slowed down the commit.  (There are various
other complexities here too, such as the fact that the extra database
hits were generating db logfiles, which the administrator would want
to be cleaning up somehow...).

Anyway, we stopped doing deltification as an automatic part of the
commit, and started considering other solutions.

The ideal solution would be to spin off a deltification thread in the
background at the end of the commit, and return immediately to the
user, so the user would see "Committed revision XXX" immediately and
not have to wait for the deltification to finish.  However, it turns
out to be difficult to portably run processes in the background.

So for now, what we've done is foisted this responsibility onto the
repository administrator.  But we've tried to make it very easy to set
up: we have a command 'svnadmin deltify', and a fairly portable
template for invoking it (in the background) in the post-commit hook.

In conclusion: repository administrators who don't have an infinite
amount of disk space will want to change their post-commit hooks to
run deltification :-).

-Karl

Re: Subversion 0.33.0 released.

Posted by Paul Gross <pa...@grosss.net>.
>    2. In order to make commits more responsive, repository
>       deltification is no longer automatic.  However, you may want
>       to run deltification as a background process in your repository
>       post-commit hook.  For example, the new post-commit.tmpl file
>       recommends 'nice -2 svnadmin deltify "$REPOS" -r "$REV" &'.

What is "repository deltification"  and what are the advantages of
making a post-commit hook to run it?  I tried searching around, but I
couldn't find a good explanation of what it is or why I need it.  Thanks.

Paul Gross
paul@grosss.net

Re: Subversion 0.33.0 released.

Posted by Arkadiusz Miskiewicz <ar...@pld-linux.org>.
On Friday 14 of November 2003 15:44, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> Arkadiusz Miskiewicz <ar...@pld-linux.org> writes:
> > Weird because the only changes between 0.9.4 and 0.9.5 are:
> >
> > Changes with APR 0.9.5
> >
> >   *) Add apr_os_pipe_put_ex(), which allows the caller to tell APR
> >      to establish a cleanup on the pipe.  [Jeff Trawick, Brad Nicholes]
> >
> >   *) Fix make_exports.awk to work with apr-iconv.  [Justin Erenkrantz]
>
> Are you just reading the changes file?  I think many more things than
> this changed...
Just changes file. So let be it ok with APR requirement but again same problem
with APR-UTIL:
checking APR-UTIL version... 0.9.4
wanted regex is 0\.9\.[5-9] or 1\.0
configure: error: invalid apr-util version found

and there were _no_ changes in apr-util code between released 0.9.4 and
apache's 0.9.5 (just m4 libtool macros updated). I've checked source code
diffs this time.

--
Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz    CS at FoE, Wroclaw University of Technology
arekm.pld-linux.org AM2-6BONE, 1024/3DB19BBD, arekm(at)ircnet, PLD/Linux

Re[2]: Subversion 0.33.0 released.

Posted by Lev Serebryakov <le...@serebryakov.spb.ru>.
Hello, Arkadiusz!

AM> Also latest released apr/apr-util is 0.9.4 - http://www.apache.org/dist/apr/.
AM> Using apr/apr-util from apache tarball is no option (we have separate rpm
AM> packages for apr/apr-util made from official apr/apr-util tarbals).
  The same problem on FreeBSD: I could not upgrade subversion port
because there are not separate apr 0.9.5 :(

               Lev Serebryakov

Re: Subversion 0.33.0 released.

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
Arkadiusz Miskiewicz <ar...@pld-linux.org> writes:

> On Saturday 15 of November 2003 19:39, Philip Martin wrote:
>> Arkadiusz Miskiewicz <ar...@pld-linux.org> writes:
>> >
>> > Why such requiremet was made?
>>
>> Subversion now uses apr_file_mtime_set() which is not in apr 0.9.4.
> Hmm.
>
> [misiek@arm ~/rpm/SOURCES/apr-0.9.4.org]$ grep -r apr_file_mtime_set .
> ./file_io/netware/filestat.c:APR_DECLARE(apr_status_t)
> apr_file_mtime_set(const char *fname,

Ahh, my mistake, it's Apache 2.0.47 that doesn't have that function.
I guess whoever bumped the APR requirement may have made the same
mistake.

--
Philip Martin

Re: Subversion 0.33.0 released.

Posted by Arkadiusz Miskiewicz <ar...@pld-linux.org>.
On Saturday 15 of November 2003 19:39, Philip Martin wrote:
> Arkadiusz Miskiewicz <ar...@pld-linux.org> writes:
> > On Friday 14 of November 2003 04:31, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> >>  * now require APR/APU 0.9.5 (ships in Apache 2.0.48)
> >
> > Why such requiremet was made?
>
> Subversion now uses apr_file_mtime_set() which is not in apr 0.9.4.
Hmm.

[misiek@arm ~/rpm/SOURCES/apr-0.9.4.org]$ grep -r apr_file_mtime_set .
./file_io/netware/filestat.c:APR_DECLARE(apr_status_t)
apr_file_mtime_set(const char *fname,
./file_io/os2/filestat.c:APR_DECLARE(apr_status_t) apr_file_mtime_set(const
char *fname,
./file_io/unix/filestat.c:APR_DECLARE(apr_status_t) apr_file_mtime_set(const
char *fname,
./file_io/win32/filestat.c:APR_DECLARE(apr_status_t) apr_file_mtime_set(const
char *fname,
./include/apr_file_io.h:APR_DECLARE(apr_status_t) apr_file_mtime_set(const
char *fname,
./test/testfileinfo.c:    rv = apr_file_mtime_set(NEWFILENAME, epoch, p);

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.

Posted by Arkadiusz Miskiewicz <ar...@pld-linux.org>.
On Friday 14 of November 2003 04:31, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
>  * now require APR/APU 0.9.5 (ships in Apache 2.0.48)

Weird because the only changes between 0.9.4 and 0.9.5 are:

Changes with APR 0.9.5

  *) Add apr_os_pipe_put_ex(), which allows the caller to tell APR
     to establish a cleanup on the pipe.  [Jeff Trawick, Brad Nicholes]

  *) Fix make_exports.awk to work with apr-iconv.  [Justin Erenkrantz]

Changes with APR 0.9.4

and subversion doesn't use apr_os_pipe_put_ex(). Why such requiremet was made?

Martin Tomes <ma...@tomes.org.uk> writes:
> I have searched high and low for post-commit.tmpl and cannot find it
> anywhere!  Please very nicely would you post an example post commit
> hook script which just does the deltafication.  The SubVersion book
> isn't very helpful, although it documents which scripts are run when
> it doesn't reveal the parameters which are passed into the script and
> how they should be picked up.

Do this with the new code:

   $ svnadmin create temp_repository
   $ more temp_repository/hooks/post-commit.tmpl