Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by ji...@buffnet.net on 2005/06/06 16:19:43 UTC

question

I have 2 questions:

(1) I would like to use subversion with the server on Solaris and clients
on both Linux and Windows (2000/XP). Is this possible?

(2) Will passwords be sent as cleartext or will they be encrypted?

jim scandale
CMIF Lab Manager
State University of New York at Buffalo
Buffalo NY
jims@buffnet.net

Re: question

Posted by Adrian Hoe <ma...@adrianhoe.com>.
On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 12:19:43 -0400 (EDT), <ji...@buffnet.net> wrote:

> I have 2 questions:
>
> (1) I would like to use subversion with the server on Solaris and clients
> on both Linux and Windows (2000/XP). Is this possible?

Yes, it's possible. You can get the package from blastwave.org.

--
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo DaVinci.
"Complexity is simplicity that has failed." - Adrian Hoe, June 23 2004.

Re: question

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jun 7, 2005, at 11:13 AM, Christopher Ness wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 12:19 -0400, jims@buffnet.net wrote:
>
>> (1) I would like to use subversion with the server on Solaris and
>> clients
>> on both Linux and Windows (2000/XP). Is this possible?
>>

> Yes!
>

>> (2) Will passwords be sent as cleartext or will they be encrypted?
>>

> Only if you decide to *not* use SSL.  The best ways to encrypt all the
> traffic are through HTTPS or SSH+SVN.

Plain old svn:// traffic does not send cleartext passwords over the
network either.

So really, the only thing that sends cleartext passwords over the
network is http:// doing Basic Auth.

Re: SSL encryption [Re: question]

Posted by Phillip Susi <ps...@cfl.rr.com>.
On Wednesday 08 June 2005 07:54, Saulius Grazulis wrote:

>On Tuesday 07 June 2005 21:13, Christopher Ness wrote:
>

>>>(2) Will passwords be sent as cleartext or will they be encrypted?
>>>

>>Only if you decide to *not* use SSL.  The best ways to encrypt all the
>>traffic are through HTTPS or SSH+SVN.
>>

>Eppps... (surprise). I thought SSL was encrypting all traffic, including
>passwords, no?

Actually, if you set up SSL to authenticate using client certs, there is
no password sent over the line at all, encrypted or otherwise.  The
client may or may not use a password of their choosing to encrypt their
private certificate, but that doesn't involve the server at all.

Pretty cool stuff.

Of course, the other advantage of using https instead of ssh+svn is that
you can access the repository using any standard web browser, or webdav
client, such as windows web folders.

Re: SSL encryption [Re: question]

Posted by Nicolas Goutte <ni...@snafu.de>.
On Wednesday 08 June 2005 07:54, Saulius Grazulis wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 June 2005 21:13, Christopher Ness wrote:
> > > (2) Will passwords be sent as cleartext or will they be encrypted?
> >
> > Only if you decide to *not* use SSL.  The best ways to encrypt all the
> > traffic are through HTTPS or SSH+SVN.
>
> Eppps... (surprise). I thought SSL was encrypting all traffic, including
> passwords, no?

But *not* using SSL (therefore bare http:) does not protect anything. ;-)

Have a nice day!

SSL encryption [Re: question]

Posted by Saulius Grazulis <gr...@akl.lt>.
On Tuesday 07 June 2005 21:13, Christopher Ness wrote:

> > (2) Will passwords be sent as cleartext or will they be encrypted?
>
> Only if you decide to *not* use SSL.  The best ways to encrypt all the
> traffic are through HTTPS or SSH+SVN.

Eppps... (surprise). I thought SSL was encrypting all traffic, including
passwords, no?

--
Saulius Gražulis

Visuomeninė organizacija "Atviras Kodas Lietuvai"
P.Vileišio g. 18
LT-10306 Vilnius
Lietuva (Lithuania)

tel/fax:      (+370-5)-210 40 05
mobilus:      (+370-684)-49802, (+370-614)-36366

Re: question

Posted by Christopher Ness <ch...@nesser.org>.
On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 12:19 -0400, jims@buffnet.net wrote:
> (1) I would like to use subversion with the server on Solaris and clients
> on both Linux and Windows (2000/XP). Is this possible?

Yes!

> (2) Will passwords be sent as cleartext or will they be encrypted?

Only if you decide to *not* use SSL.  The best ways to encrypt all the
traffic are through HTTPS or SSH+SVN.

The choice is up to you, but I strongly suggest you use some form of
encryption over a public (or wireless!) network.

"The book" explains how to set up these types of servers in great
detail:
                 http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

Cheers,
Chris
--
Wireless Group,
McMaster University

finger.localdomain
14:08:30 up 1 day, 3:46, 1 user, load average: 0.37, 0.13, 0.03