Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/07 04:14:43 UTC

Documentation site

After building myself a couple of tiny websites using Antora (https://antora.org) I’ve become somewhat interested in site generation from asciidoc.

I looked at the current TomEE documentation site and am not entirely thrilled with the appearance.

I spent a couple of hours finding things, arranging the docs into an antora structure, and setting up some configuration.

You can see the results here:

https://tomee-preview.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/index.html <https://tomee-preview.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/index.html>

The source for this is at https://github.com/djencks/tomee, antora branch.

This makes no attempt to be a reasonable structure: I just found documentation.adoc, converted it to an Antora nav file, and picked docs.adoc for the home page.

Does this seem like a direction worth pursuing?  I’m willing to spend a few days organizing stuff better, fixing the warnings and errors, and sprucing up the UI (I can change colors and remove the irrelevant stuff from the header, but advanced css is beyond me at this point).

There are also a couple of directions of experimentation I might like to pursue:

— Antora doesn’t have a good strategy for multi-language sites.  Since there’s at least some translation going on here, this seems like a good place to try out solutions.  I haven’t found the translations yet :-) Provisionally my first idea would be to represent languages as versions: 8.0 is english, 8.0-sp, 8.0-pt, 8.0-ru etc are the other languages.   You could pick your language in the lower left component-version selector (on the preview only tomee/8.0 is present)

- I think there might be some javadoc somewhere :-)  Antora also doesn’t have a good strategy for including externally generated content.  I have an idea around this that just might work :-)

On my GitHub clone I only see a master branch, which I assume is the tomee 8 line.  Where are the earlier versions? Where is their documentation?  Antora is really good at building sites with many versions of the docs (as long as the source is in asciidoc).

thanks
David Jencks

ps. My google search for the docs brought up this:

https://tomee.apache.org/latest/docs/documentation.html

which doesn’t look good.

Re: Documentation site

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
Possibly there’s some duplication in the new site:

individual addresses in sitemaps, without translations:
old sitemap page count: 560 old-sitemap-addr.txt
new sitemap page count: 1423 new-sitemap-addr-en-only.txt

comparison of unique page names (without path, source, or version info):
old-not-new count: 1 old-not-new-index.txt
new-not-old count: 119 new-not-old-index.txt

If anyone has ideas how to identify it, I’d like to hear them.

Is the live-site sitemap actually accurate?

thanks
David Jencks

Re: Documentation site

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.

Comparing the live site-map.xml and the ones generated for the Antora-built site, there is one file missing (index-old.html        http://tomee.apache.org/examples/index-old.html) which I don’t think is necessary or appropriate to move, and 119 new files that didn’t appear in the existing site. They are listed in tomee@antora docs/new-not-old-index.txt.

Re: Documentation site

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
I now have the adoc content from master, 7.1.0.x, 7.0.0.x, the example README.adoc from master (sorted by language), and the formerly .md files from tomee-site-generator.

The preview is still at https://tomee-preview.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/index.html <https://tomee-preview.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/index.html>. The other urls have changed slightly (Tomee => tomee).

I think there are still 133 pages on the existing website that I haven’t located source for. If anyone has an idea where they might come from please let me know:

add-my-offering.html        http://tomee.apache.org/add-my-offering.html
apache-openejb-3.1.3.html        http://tomee.apache.org/download/apache-openejb-3.1.3.html
apache-openejb-3.1.4.html        http://tomee.apache.org/download/apache-openejb-3.1.4.html
blogs.html        http://tomee.apache.org/blogs.html
buildbot.html        http://tomee.apache.org/examples/buildbot.html
contact.html        http://tomee.apache.org/misc/contact.html
ejb-+-jpa-+-jsf-+-jax-rs.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-+-jpa-+-jsf-+-jax-rs.html
ejb-2.1-compatibility-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-2.1-compatibility-example.html
ejb-3-annotation-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-3-annotation-example.html
ejb-3-annotation-examples.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-3-annotation-examples.html
ejb-3-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-3-example.html
ejb-3-examples.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-3-examples.html
ejb-3-howto.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-3-howto.html
ejb-3-sample-applications.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-3-sample-applications.html
ejb-3-sample.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-3-sample.html
ejb-3-samples.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-3-samples.html
ejb-3-tutorial.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-3-tutorial.html
ejb-3-tutorials.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-3-tutorials.html
ejb-3.0-specification.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-3.0-specification.html
ejb-31-annotation-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-31-annotation-example.html
ejb-31-annotation-examples.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-31-annotation-examples.html
ejb-31-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-31-example.html
ejb-31-examples.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-31-examples.html
ejb-31-howto.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-31-howto.html
ejb-31-sample-applications.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-31-sample-applications.html
ejb-31-sample.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-31-sample.html
ejb-31-samples.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-31-samples.html
ejb-31-tutorial.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-31-tutorial.html
ejb-31-tutorials.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-31-tutorials.html
ejb-annotation-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-annotation-example.html
ejb-annotation-examples.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-annotation-examples.html
ejb-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-example.html
ejb-glossary.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-glossary.html
ejb-howto.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-howto.html
ejb-sample-applications.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-sample-applications.html
ejb-sample.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-sample.html
ejb-samples.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-samples.html
ejb-servlet.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-servlet.html
ejb-tutorial.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-tutorial.html
ejb-tutorials.html        http://tomee.apache.org/ejb-tutorials.html
example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/example.html
examples-table.html        http://tomee.apache.org/examples-table.html
faq_openejb-jar.html.html        http://tomee.apache.org/faq_openejb-jar.html.html
getting-started-with-eclipse-and-webby.html        http://tomee.apache.org/getting-started-with-eclipse-and-webby.html
heritage.html        http://tomee.apache.org/misc/heritage.html
index-old.html        http://tomee.apache.org/examples/index-old.html
injection-of-datasource-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/injection-of-datasource-example.html
injection-of-entitymanager-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/injection-of-entitymanager-example.html
injection-of-env-entry-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/injection-of-env-entry-example.html
injection-of-other-ejbs-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/injection-of-other-ejbs-example.html
java-ee-6-annotation-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-6-annotation-example.html
java-ee-6-annotation-examples.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-6-annotation-examples.html
java-ee-6-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-6-example.html
java-ee-6-examples.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-6-examples.html
java-ee-6-howto.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-6-howto.html
java-ee-6-sample-applications.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-6-sample-applications.html
java-ee-6-sample.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-6-sample.html
java-ee-6-samples.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-6-samples.html
java-ee-6-tutorial.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-6-tutorial.html
java-ee-6-tutorials.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-6-tutorials.html
java-ee-annotation-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-annotation-example.html
java-ee-annotation-examples.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-annotation-examples.html
java-ee-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-example.html
java-ee-examples.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-examples.html
java-ee-howto.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-howto.html
java-ee-sample-applications.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-sample-applications.html
java-ee-sample.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-sample.html
java-ee-samples.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-samples.html
java-ee-tutorial.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-tutorial.html
java-ee-tutorials.html        http://tomee.apache.org/java-ee-tutorials.html
[...]
legal.html        http://tomee.apache.org/misc/legal.html
openejb-0.9.2.html        http://tomee.apache.org/download/openejb-0.9.2.html
openejb-1.0-beta-1.html        http://tomee.apache.org/download/openejb-1.0-beta-1.html
openejb-1.0-test-matrix.html        http://tomee.apache.org/download/openejb-1.0-test-matrix.html
openejb-1.0.html        http://tomee.apache.org/download/openejb-1.0.html
openejb-3.0-beta-1.html        http://tomee.apache.org/download/openejb-3.0-beta-1.html
openejb-3.0-beta-2.html        http://tomee.apache.org/download/openejb-3.0-beta-2.html
openejb-3.0.html        http://tomee.apache.org/download/openejb-3.0.html
openejb-3.1.1.html        http://tomee.apache.org/download/openejb-3.1.1.html
openejb-3.1.2.html        http://tomee.apache.org/download/openejb-3.1.2.html
openejb-3.1.html        http://tomee.apache.org/download/openejb-3.1.html
project_info.html        http://tomee.apache.org/index.page/project_info.html
simple-stateful-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/simple-stateful-example.html
simple-stateless-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/simple-stateless-example.html
singleton-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/singleton-example.html
testcase-with-testbean-inner-class.html        http://tomee.apache.org/testcase-with-testbean-inner-class.html
testing-security-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/testing-security-example.html
testing-transactions-example.html        http://tomee.apache.org/testing-transactions-example.html
tomee-1.5.3-snapshot.html        http://tomee.apache.org/download/tomee-1.5.3-snapshot.html
tomee-1.6.0-snapshot.html        http://tomee.apache.org/download/tomee-1.6.0-snapshot.html
tomee-1.7.x-snapshot.html        http://tomee.apache.org/download/tomee-1.7.x-snapshot.html
tomee-7.0.0-snapshot.html        http://tomee.apache.org/download/tomee-7.0.0-snapshot.html
whoweare.html        http://tomee.apache.org/misc/whoweare.html

I looked in tomee-site-generator master, tomee-master, tomee-7.1.0.x, tomee-7.0.0.x, tomee-1.7.x, and something that might be tomee-1.6.0 although it says it’s a detached head (see other email tonight).  I looked for any file with the stem of the html files.

Thanks,
David Jencks

Re: Documentation site

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Documentation site

Posted by David Blevins <db...@tomitribe.com>.

Re: Documentation site

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Documentation site

Posted by David Blevins <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: Documentation site

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guillermo,

I’m not yet at the point of thinking about css or even UI changes.  If you want to you and you aren’t already familiar with Antora UI bundles you could take a look.

I think the I18n Asciidoc proposal would be too inconvenient for Tomee…. my experience with related systems was pretty horrible.  As I understand, Tomee has the (normally english) original adoc file in the same directory as any contributed translations.  I think this is going to continue to work well, as it’s really easy to understand what to do…. just take the adoc file and translate it, keeping the structure if appropriate.

I suppose it might be possible to, for each untranslated page and each language, generate a page saying “translate me” and perhaps with a google-translate rendition.  That seems a bit in the future though.

I was just thinking about the problems of how to organize and present the translations in Antora.

Thanks!
David Jencks

Re: Documentation site

Posted by Guillermo García <bi...@gmail.com>.