Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Amador, Orlando M. [OBIPR]" <oa...@obipr.jnj.com> on 2006/09/28 19:28:01 UTC

[users@httpd] RE: Previewing a Virtual Host before server name is available in DNS

>I have configured 2 virtual host in the http.conf file.  Both are working
fine since we have configured the DNS server to
>point to the apache server.  We need to configure a 3rd virtual host, but
can't change the DNS to point to our apache server
>until it is approved.
>So the question is how we configure the new virtual host so it is visible
without DNS?
>This is the same to what a web hosting company will do.  One can preview
the website under some URL of the main server.
host is for www.server2.com, then one could type
>something like www.server1.com/server2 or similar and view the file from
the virtual host (server2) instead.
>I read the virtual hosting documentation and did not find anything in this
subject.  I though that maybe "ServerPath" could
and the requested www.server1.com/server2/ but it
>only complains that the URL was not found.
>I understand that we can set an entry in the host file to map the virtual
host name to an IP, but this is not practical
>since we need to have several people in different workstations looking at
this.
>How to the web hosting companies accomplish this?  is it just with Apache
or is it something else?
>Any suggestions?
>This is for Apache 2.0.52 running on Linux.

Reading further I found the alias directive.  So now we configured:

Alias /server2.com /var/www/server2

It seems to do the trick.  Any drawbacks?

Saludos,
Orlando
Orlando M. Amador
Technology Lead
Ortho Biologics LLC
oamador@obipr.jnj.com
(787) 854-1800 x2294

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail transmission may contain confidential or
legally privileged information that is intended only for the individual or
entity named in the e-mail address. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or
reliance upon the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this e-mail transmission in error, please reply to the sender,
so that Johnson & Johnson can arrange for proper delivery, and then please
delete the message from your inbox. Thank you.