Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Jérôme BERNARD <je...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/15 23:21:25 UTC

[Tap5] Integration between Tapestry and Jini

Hi all,

I'm working with good progress on a tapestry-jini project.

I posted more information about this on my blog:
http://weblog.kalixia.com/archives/2007/03/16/integration-between-tapestry-5-and-jini/

This project has been written like tapestry-spring and I could easily
donate it to the Tapestry team, if interested in it.

Have a nice day,
Jérôme.

--
Jérôme BERNARD,
Kalixia, SARL.

Re: [Tap5] Integration between Tapestry and Jini

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Here's the "shorter" version of your example:

<t:jini serviceInterface="net.jini.space.JavaSpace">
  Found JavaSpace!
  <t:parameter name="serviceNotAvailable">
    Oops, we could not find the Jini service!
  </t:parameter>
</t:jini>

Also, throw this in your page:

        DIV.t-beaneditor LABEL { width: 225px; }

tweak to fit and redo the screenshots, please.

The <t:parameter> element is used to define an anonmous block within
the body of the component and pass it as a parameter (of type Block)
all in one go.

On 3/15/07, Jérôme BERNARD <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working with good progress on a tapestry-jini project.
>
> I posted more information about this on my blog:
> http://weblog.kalixia.com/archives/2007/03/16/integration-between-tapestry-5-and-jini/
>
> This project has been written like tapestry-spring and I could easily
> donate it to the Tapestry team, if interested in it.
>

> Have a nice day,
> Jérôme.
>

> --
> Jérôme BERNARD,
> Kalixia, SARL.
> http://weblog.kalixia.com

Howard M. Lewis Ship
TWD Consulting, Inc.
Creator and PMC Chair, Apache Tapestry
Creator, Apache HiveMind

Re: [Tap5] Integration between Tapestry and Jini

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Hehe...quite right. I must've just spent too much time in that area,
at one point I think I had the small achievement of being the first
one to implement a 2 phase commit trans mgr.

Well either way, good work. I love stuff like this. It makes my nerdy
little heart all warm & fuzzy. :)

On 3/15/07, Jérôme BERNARD <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/15/07, Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > That's pretty cool! I think we'll have to make a news item about it
> > just because.. I have to ask though, is the local lookup manager
> > configurable?
>
> Since Jini 2.x it is really easy to configure things like that:
> http://jan.newmarch.name/java/jini/tutorial/Config.xml
>
> The lookup process can be configured in a external configuration file
> which looks like some Java code :-)
>
> > I mean, if your app isn't on a network with multicast
> > enabled (almost all of them :( ), you'd need at least a little help
> > finding mahalo in many instances. (if that's what it's even called
> > anymore)
>
> Mahalo = transaction manager,
> Outrigger = bundled JavaSpace implementation,
> so I suppose you mean Reggie instead (the lookup service)?
>
> > Having it easily available would be nice, I'm not sure if it belongs
> > in Tapestry directly or as a sub-project or what...I think it's one of
> > those things we need to figure out pretty soon though.
>
> Going to answer this question on the next post of this thread :-)
>
> > The most obvious question people will have if I make a news item is
> > "well, where is it then? "
>
> I need to polish this thing a bit, but it should be released quite
> soon (probably early next week)..
>

> Jérôme.
>

> --
> Jérôme BERNARD,
> Kalixia, SARL.
> http://weblog.kalixia.com

Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer

Re: [Tap5] Integration between Tapestry and Jini

Posted by Jérôme BERNARD <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andreas Andreou <an...@di.uoa.gr>.
I wouldn't tie tacos to ajax that closely...

Renaming tacos-core to tacos-ajax and adding a whole bunch of new modules
+ a few more devs is certainly a way forward. I guess Viktor can help with
the accounts,
or perhaps give us access to do that.

Tacos already has 4 and 4.1 specific sections. So, why not join?

On 3/16/07, Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jérôme BERNARD wrote:
> > On 3/16/07, Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I've been thinking a little about the fact that Tapestry doesn't really
> >> have a place for the general community to use as a home for components,
> >> services and Tapestry related stuff that may be useful to others.
> >>
> >> I think this is why tapestry-contrib was created, but it being under
> >> Apache it doesn't really provide the freedom for the general community
> >> to join as developers and really get theirs hands dirty.
> >> So, i'm thinking something like a new project hosted in sourceforge or
> >> javaforge or something like that. The project should be managed by a
> >> Tapestry developer. Still, everyone that wanted to contribute, like
> >> Jerome, would be made a developer and would access to svn. I have some
> >> ideas on this but before i share them, does this sound stupid ?
> >
> > No. Sounds fine.
> > Maybe create a specific T4, T4.1 and T5 sections though so that users
> > can figure out which components they can use.
> That's the idea. Special conventions and infrastructure would have to be
> built to allow this to work correctly.
> >
> >> PS - Sorry for stealing the thread....
> >
> > No problem, after all, even though I can host my work on my own
> > servers, an "official" home for this puppy would probably be better
> > :-)
> >

> > Jérôme

Andreas Andreou - andyhot@apache.org - http://andyhot.di.uoa.gr
Tapestry / Tacos developer
Open Source / JEE Consulting

Re: [Tap5] Integration between Tapestry and Jini

Posted by Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jérôme BERNARD <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com>.
Jesse Kuhnert wrote:
> I think it sounds like a fine idea...Though I wouldn't want it to
> become too closely tied to Tapestry as that could have the opposite
> effect of making people feel like they are competing with the
> framework / developers or something similar.
I agree. The scope and goal of the project would have to be very clear
to everyone.

> No offense to javaforge or anything, but as long as it's not them it
> sounds like a tentatively reasonable idea...Though who is going to
> manage this project is another question entirely. (I don't have time
> definitely.)
Maybe a future post to the dev list asking for opinions and volunteers
would be the best option.

> There's Tacos too, but I don't actually have sourceforge permissions
> to add people as developers so I'd be useless in that capacity.
Tacos goal is a little more strict than what we're talking about here.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't Tacos all about AJAX components ?

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jérôme BERNARD <je...@gmail.com>.
Answering a comment Howard put on my blog
(http://weblog.kalixia.com/archives/2007/03/16/integration-between-tapestry-5-and-jini/#comment-1470):

Regarding the use of BeanEditForm, it's completely useless in my
example. Just wanted to increase the WFPLOC (Whoah Factor Per Lines Of
Code -- TM :-) ).

What I'd like to be able to do in the future is:
- use AJAX so that when the stale service become available again, the
UI automatically updates,
- use some principles of ServiceUI
(http://www.artima.com/jini/serviceui/) so that I can attach UI to
Jini services as attributes (probably indicating which JARs contain
Tapestry components).

Thanks,
Jérôme.

--