Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by "Priest, Mark" <mp...@3eti.com> on 2004/08/23 16:53:07 UTC

Class/resource loading with applet killing performance

Hello,

We are having an issue with the Axis client that was reported about a year
ago.  We are using Axis in an applet and we want to minimize the number of
things that the class loader is loading since each attempt to load a class
or other resource that is not in the jar files we provide causes a GET
request to the web server, which burns up a lot of bandwidth.  There are
three types of things that the Axis runtime is trying to load that are
causing us performance problems:

1. _Helper classes.  We don't use any _Helper classes but Axis tries to find
them anyway
2. ResourceBundle Strings. We don't use logging on the client so we don't
care to load the ResourceBundles
3. BeanInfo classes. We don't use any BeanInfo classes and just want the
default behavior

Is there any way to turn off the Axis runtime features that try to load
classes and other resources for the three technologies above?  It would
significantly improve performance for us if these GET requests could be
eliminated.  There are about 84 such requests right now, with many duplicate
requests for the same resource (see attached access log snippet).   I
included the message from last year below.

Thanks,
Mark

List:       axis-user
Subject:    non existing Helper class requests!
From:       Janis_Olekss () exigengroup ! lv
Date:       2003-07-24 7:42:23
[Download message RAW]

--=_alternative 002A5549C2256D6D_=

I have a "problem"!

We have developed application which uses axis SOAP to access Genesys
(telephony) statistics and made
this as an applet. All the necessary stuff is included into .jar file
which is downloaded, initialized and after that
applications starts working.

BUT (there is allways a catch)

We have problem with additional traffic which appears on each applet
initialization step when axis starts to seek
different Helper classes and some kind of BeanInfo classes. As the classes
are not present (ofcourse) in the
.jar applet engine sends a ton of requests to server. The requests makes
big traffic load and is not acceptable
to our customer. We are trying to switch off the Helper class requests,
but no success. So may be you could
help?

The requests looks something like this

HTTP:  R Port-8080 GET
/ica/jars/mycompany/services/session/EventValueTypeType_Helper.class
HTTP/1.1
HTTP:  R Port-8080 GET
/ica/jars/mycompany/services/session/ParameterBeanInfo.class HTTP/1.1
HTTP:  R Port-8080 GET
/ica/jars/mycompany/services/session/StatisticValueBeanInfo.class HTTP/1.1
abd there are more!