Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@wyona.com> on 2006/03/08 12:55:24 UTC

[Proposal] lenyacontent:// protocol

Hi all,

I looked into lenya:// and lenyadoc:// but on the end I am facing my old
problem of the document limitation.

Like Andreas recommended:
 El mar, 07-03-2006 a las 17:36 +0100, Andreas Hartmann escribió:
> We have a circular dependency:
>
> - The resource type is stored in the meta data.
> - The location of the meta data is determined by the
> DocIdToPathMapper.
> - The DocIdToPathMapper should be determined by the resource type.
>
> That's why we have to break a dependency. The easiest one
> to break is the dependency from the meta data location to
> the DocIdToPathMapper. We could use a generic location for
> meta files, without using the mapper. Just something like
>
>   {document-id}.{language}.meta
>
> This way, we can
>
> - read the meta file
> - determine the resource type
> - call resourceType.getPathMapper().getPath(document)
>
> which will return /foo/bar/index_en.odt for the ODT resource type.

That sounds quite practical and extensable.

El mié, 08-03-2006 a las 00:43 +0100, Michael Wechner escribió:
> why not have something like
>
> .lenya/meta/{document-id}
>
> whereas the ".lenya" would be configurable?
> (this path could also be used within a JCR repo)
>
> It seems to me that SVN shows how nicely this can be
> done and how clear it separates ones data from the managing
> system.

I agree that we should make the place to keep the meta data
configurable.

The only thing that we need to change as well is another personal
favorite MetaData.java ;), right?

The plan should be when requesting
lenyacontent://{page-envelope:publication-id}/{page-envelope:area}/{page-envelope:document-language}/{page-envelope:document-id}
is to:
a) lookup {document-id}.{language}.meta
b) determine the resource type
c) resourceType.getPathMapper().getPath(document)
d) return /foo/bar/index_en.odt for the ODT resource type

wdyt?

Did I forgot something? Can I reuse the excellent work of Andreas
regarding the new repo api?

BTW why a new protocol? Well this protocol should finally treat docs and
resources the same. ;)

salu2
--
Thorsten Scherler
COO Spain

Re: [Proposal] lenyacontent:// protocol

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> El jue, 09-03-2006 a las 10:09 +0100, Andreas Hartmann escribió:
>> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> The plan should be when requesting
>>> lenyacontent://{page-envelope:publication-id}/{page-envelope:area}/{page-envelope:document-language}/{page-envelope:document-id}
>>> is to:
>>> a) lookup {document-id}.{language}.meta
>>> b) determine the resource type
>>> c) resourceType.getPathMapper().getPath(document)
>>> d) return /foo/bar/index_en.odt for the ODT resource type
>>>
>>> wdyt?
>>  >
>>> Did I forgot something? Can I reuse the excellent work of Andreas
>>> regarding the new repo api?
>> No, I don't think so.
>>
>>> BTW why a new protocol? Well this protocol should finally treat docs and
>>> resources the same. ;)
>> Once we change the behaviour of the DocumentIdToPathMapper like mentioned
>> above, the lenyadoc:// protocol will behave exactly like this.
>> I don't see the need for another protocol.
>
> You are saying I can use lenyadoc://en/index/thorsten.wav

ATM that would be lenyadoc://en/index/thorsten

> or
> lenyadoc://de/index/thorsten.wav and it will return the correct
> location, even if it is an asset/resource/whatever?

Yes, once we have solved the mapper issue and we treat assets
the same way as documents (i.e., remove the distinction between
these two).

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann
andreas.hartmann@wyona.com                     andreas@apache.org

Re: [Proposal] lenyacontent:// protocol

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
El jue, 09-03-2006 a las 10:09 +0100, Andreas Hartmann escribió:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > The plan should be when requesting
> > lenyacontent://{page-envelope:publication-id}/{page-envelope:area}/{page-envelope:document-language}/{page-envelope:document-id}
> > is to:
> > a) lookup {document-id}.{language}.meta
> > b) determine the resource type
> > c) resourceType.getPathMapper().getPath(document)
> > d) return /foo/bar/index_en.odt for the ODT resource type
> >
> > wdyt?
>  >
> > Did I forgot something? Can I reuse the excellent work of Andreas
> > regarding the new repo api?
>
> No, I don't think so.
>
> > BTW why a new protocol? Well this protocol should finally treat docs and
> > resources the same. ;)
>
> Once we change the behaviour of the DocumentIdToPathMapper like mentioned
> above, the lenyadoc:// protocol will behave exactly like this.
> I don't see the need for another protocol.

You are saying I can use lenyadoc://en/index/thorsten.wav or
lenyadoc://de/index/thorsten.wav and it will return the correct
location, even if it is an asset/resource/whatever?

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"
Hey you (Pink Floyd)

Re: [Proposal] lenyacontent:// protocol

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:

[...]

> The plan should be when requesting
> lenyacontent://{page-envelope:publication-id}/{page-envelope:area}/{page-envelope:document-language}/{page-envelope:document-id}
> is to:
> a) lookup {document-id}.{language}.meta
> b) determine the resource type
> c) resourceType.getPathMapper().getPath(document)
> d) return /foo/bar/index_en.odt for the ODT resource type
>
> wdyt?
 >
> Did I forgot something? Can I reuse the excellent work of Andreas
> regarding the new repo api?

No, I don't think so.