Posted to soap-user@xml.apache.org by Szymon Drejewicz <dr...@idea.net.pl> on 2002/10/06 13:13:16 UTC

Re: Jasper and Exception SOLVED PARTIALLY

I have solved the problem by installing Sun's JWSDP (Java Web Services
Development Pack 1.0.01). It consists Tomcat, Ant and others. After that I
have just installed soap 2.3 WAR file in %JWSDP%\webapps folder and soap.jar
in %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\ext.

It is a partially solution because of I am not sure if JWSDP Tomcat works
exactly like standalone Tomcat. But for now I am happy.

Szymon Drejewicz

Re: Jasper and Exception SOLVED PARTIALLY

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
soap.jar in %JAVA_HOME%\jre\lib\ext is a very bad idea.  This has been
the cause of problems for many, many people.  If you look at Tomcat's
class loader information at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html,
you will find that jars in lib/ext are loaded by the bootstrap class
loader.  This creates problems because classes in soap.jar have
dependencies on classes, such as javax.http.HttpServlet, that need to be
loaded from loaders upstream in the class loader chain (that class is in
servlet.jar, which is handled by the common class loader).  I don't
pretend to know whether Tomcat implements its class loaders "correctly";
I just know what the docs say and what users are experiencing.

In the case of Apache SOAP, by putting soap.war in Tomcat's webapps
directory, Tomcat has access to all Apache SOAP classes (all those in
soap.jar and all samples).

You may also want to consult Sun's docs on the extension mechanism
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/guide/extensions/spec.html.  They
intend the lib\ext directory to be used for what used to be called
"standard extensions", basically jar files with javax.* classes.  It is
not a place to dump jars to avoid specifying them in your classpath.

Scott Nichol

<ma...@xml.apache.org>
<ma...@xml.apache.org>

Re: Jasper and Exception SOLVED PARTIALLY