Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org> on 2003/03/30 21:25:00 UTC

Source and commons-vfs

This is probably more an Avalon questions, but since it seems that
Cocoon is the heaviest Source user it might well belong here too...

Has anyone seen on jakarta commons the VFS project? Other than having
more than one duplication with the Excalibur Source concept (suggesting
me that it might be worth considering some sort of cooperation between
the projects), it made me think about a VFS-based Source implementation,
which would buy us a bunch of new and useful protocols.

Yet I'm wondering if someone has thought about it before since it seems
pretty trivial to me to implement some sort of wrapper on top of it: I'm
then asking, then, if there is something I'm missing or if this possible
integration was just overlooked.

Thoughts?

--
Gianugo Rabellino
Pro-netics s.r.l.

Re: Source and commons-vfs

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@anyware-tech.com>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> This is probably more an Avalon questions, but since it seems that
> Cocoon is the heaviest Source user it might well belong here too...
>
> Has anyone seen on jakarta commons the VFS project? Other than having
> more than one duplication with the Excalibur Source concept
> (suggesting me that it might be worth considering some sort of
> cooperation between the projects), it made me think about a VFS-based
> Source implementation, which would buy us a bunch of new and useful
> protocols.

Yep.

> Yet I'm wondering if someone has thought about it before since it
> seems pretty trivial to me to implement some sort of wrapper on top of
> it: I'm then asking, then, if there is something I'm missing or if
> this possible integration was just overlooked.

I found VFS when I wrote the CVSSource, but left it since there was
nothing CVS-related there. However, I found it interesting to write a
CVS provider for VFS, but the architecture seemed to me heavy compared
to what's needed to write a Source. I also didn't have the necessary
time to dig a lot.

> Thoughts?

Time for a VFSSource ?

Sylvain