Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by Dave Neuman <ne...@apache.org> on 2020/05/26 15:29:20 UTC

ATC 5.0 Release planning

Hey everyone,
In the spirit of trying to do a better job of release planning, I wanted to
start the conversation around what will be in ATC 5.0, which will be our
next release of ATC after 4.1.  The first thing you may notice is that we
will be bumping the major version, this is because there are some breaking
changes in the API that required us to bump the API version and the project
version.  Below is a list of features, fixes, etc that we (Comcast) are
planning to get into the 5.0 release.  If you have other things you are
planning to include, or if there is something that I missed, please reply
and let me know.  Our soft goal right now is to try to cut the 5.0 branch
at the end of June, though that may change based on the 4.1 timing.

There are about a dozen bugs that are open with a "Major" severity on them,
we will take a look at this list too but if you see one you can fix, please
do. [1]

*ATC 5.0 Release*

New Features:
- Dual Homing
- Flexible Topologies Phase 1
- Delivery Service - Service Categories
- API Version bumped to 3.0

Improvements:
- Removed deprecated Traffic Ops Go Client methods
- ORT has been re-written to be more modular and performant

Major Bug Fixes:
-Fixed ORT config generation not using the coalesce_number_v6 Parameter

Other:
- Removal of API 1.x endpoints.  2.x will need to be used going forward.

Thanks,
Dave

[1]
https://github.com/apache/trafficcontrol/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Abug+label%3Amajor

Re: [EXTERNAL] ATC 5.0 Release planning

Posted by Zach Hoffman <za...@zrhoffman.net>.
Thanks for taking this on, Brennan! I hope it proves to be a manageable
release.

-Zach

Posted by Dave Neuman <ne...@apache.org>.
Wanted to send a few updates: