Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Mikhail Antonov <an...@apache.org> on 2017/04/05 23:38:38 UTC

[VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.3.1 (RC0) is available

Hello everyone,

I'm pleased to announce the first release candidate for Apache HBase 1.3.1 is
available to download and testing.

Artifacts are available here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/1.3.1RC0/

Maven artifacts are available in the staging repository:

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1165

All artifacts are signed with my code signing key 35A4ABE2, which is also
in the project KEYS file at

http://www.apache.org/dist/hbase/KEYS

these artifacts correspond to commit hash

2a425fc420a3de98eedd2ee7b703bb2873127f0e tagged as 1.3.1RC0.

HBase 1.3.1 is the first maintenance release in the HBase 1.3.z release
line,
continuing on the theme of bringing a stable, reliable database to the
Hadoop and NoSQL communities. This release includes 67 resolved issues
since the initial 1.3.0 release that was 3 month ago.

The full list of issues addressed is available at

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310753&version=12335746

and also in the CHANGES.txt file in the root directory of the source
tarball.

Please take a few minutes to verify the release and vote on
releasing it:

[ ] +1 Release this package as Apache HBase 1.3.1
[ ] +0 no opinion

This Vote will run for one week and close Wed Apr 12, 2017 22:00 PST.

Thanks ! (also separate thanks to Andrew Purtell for the help to get the RC
out)

-Mikhail Antonov

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.3.1 (RC0) is available

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Weird.. I assume both of you are running standard .dev-support/ AAC-based
checker with same default params..

Michael Antonov

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.3.1 (RC0) is available

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
No objections.
Looks like Phoenix will be good. They will use the strings directly (for a
while)

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

If you are given a choice, you believe you have acted freely. - Raymond
Teller (via Peter Watts)

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.3.1 (RC0) is available

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Yu Li,

I think with that finding we can strike RC0 down and I'll roll RC1.

Objections?

-Mikhail

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 2:41 AM, Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks all for the input, I've just committed HBASE-17886 into master and
> branch-1.3.
>
> For branch-1.2 the commit suspends and will wait for Sean's response.
>
> Best Regards,
> Yu
>
> On 6 April 2017 at 16:50, Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > My bad on not checking compatibility report here.
> >
> > I think leaving unified metric names in place is conceptually right thing
> > to do, with having old names as proxies, so I'd be +1 on v2 patch to
> > HBASE-17886.
> >
> > Then we can strike down rc0 and immediately roll rc1.
> >
> > Regarding 1.2.5.1, it's up to Sean to decide, but I personally don't feel
> > this issue warrants immediate cut of hotfix release when 1.2.6 is
> probably
> > not that far away (it's not dataloss bug or security vulnerability).
> >
> > -Mikhail
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 1:15 AM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I committed that patch. It was for phoenix folks. In review I misjudged
> > the
> > > public statics in ServerSideScanMetrics as for internal only. My
> mistake.
> > > Agree that it a compat breaker. Sorry for making more work. I put a
> > > question up on the phoenix dev list asking if they depend on this being
> > in
> > > a 1.3.1 at least.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > St.Ack

> boss

> already
> one

> > > looking

> available
> > > (we

> > olorinbant@gmail.com

> > > HBase

> which
> > > is

> > > source

> 22:00
> > > PST.

> > > get

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Michael Antonov

Michael Antonov

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.3.1 (RC0) is available

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
My bad on not checking compatibility report here.

I think leaving unified metric names in place is conceptually right thing
to do, with having old names as proxies, so I'd be +1 on v2 patch to
HBASE-17886.

Then we can strike down rc0 and immediately roll rc1.

Regarding 1.2.5.1, it's up to Sean to decide, but I personally don't feel
this issue warrants immediate cut of hotfix release when 1.2.6 is probably
not that far away (it's not dataloss bug or security vulnerability).

-Mikhail

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 1:15 AM, Stack <st...@duboce.net> wrote:

> I committed that patch. It was for phoenix folks. In review I misjudged the
> public statics in ServerSideScanMetrics as for internal only. My mistake.
> Agree that it a compat breaker. Sorry for making more work. I put a
> question up on the phoenix dev list asking if they depend on this being in
> a 1.3.1 at least.
>
> Thanks,
> St.Ack
>
> On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 12:25 AM, Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have attached the screenshot of the report onto HBASE-17886, FYI boss
> > @Mikhail
> >
> > I think this is also an issue for branch-1.2 although 1.2.5 is already
> > released, and supporting both names and (add-back and) mark the old one
> > deprecated as per Duo suggested in 17886 might be a good idea?
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Yu
> >
> > On 6 April 2017 at 14:42, Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hmm. Looks like this change has already went out in 1.2.5 though,
> looking
> > > at
> > > https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?
> > > version=12338339&projectId=12310753
> > >
> > > Those the compat report posted there on the RC is no longer available
> (we
> > > can re-run it).
> > >
> > > Should we revert it in 1.2.6 back then, or leave as is?

> > compatibility

> HBase

> > hbase-1165

> is
> > > also

> > release
> > the
> > issues

> source

> PST.

> get
> > > the

> > > --
> > > Thanks,
> > > Michael Antonov

Michael Antonov

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.3.1 (RC0) is available

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
Let's do a 1.2.5.1 release?

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.

wrote:

> Thanks Yu Li!
>
> You picture doesn't load for me, could you repost? I'll run compatibility
> checker too.
>
> -Mikhail
>
> On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 11:22 PM, Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> -1 (non-binding)
>>
>> Checked sums and signatures: ok
>> Built from source: ok (7u79)
>> RAT check passed: ok (7u79)
>> Compatibility check: Failed
>>
>> ​
>>
>> Checked the commit history and the above issue is introduced by
>> HBASE-17716, and have opened HBASE-17886 to fix it.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Yu
>>
>> On 6 April 2017 at 07:38, Mikhail Antonov <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I'm pleased to announce the first release candidate for Apache HBase
>>> 1.3.1 is
>>> available to download and testing.
>>>
>>> Artifacts are available here:
>>>
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/1.3.1RC0/
>>>
>>> Maven artifacts are available in the staging repository:
>>>
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1165
>>>
>>> All artifacts are signed with my code signing key 35A4ABE2, which is also
>>> in the project KEYS file at
>>>
>>> http://www.apache.org/dist/hbase/KEYS
>>>
>>> these artifacts correspond to commit hash
>>>
>>> 2a425fc420a3de98eedd2ee7b703bb2873127f0e tagged as 1.3.1RC0.
>>>
>>> HBase 1.3.1 is the first maintenance release in the HBase 1.3.z release
>>> line,
>>> continuing on the theme of bringing a stable, reliable database to the
>>> Hadoop and NoSQL communities. This release includes 67 resolved issues
>>> since the initial 1.3.0 release that was 3 month ago.
>>>
>>> The full list of issues addressed is available at
>>>
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?proje
>>> ctId=12310753&version=12335746
>>>
>>> and also in the CHANGES.txt file in the root directory of the source
>>> tarball.
>>>
>>> Please take a few minutes to verify the release and vote on
>>> releasing it:
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache HBase 1.3.1
>>> [ ] +0 no opinion
>>> [ ] -1 Do not release this package because...
>>>
>>> This Vote will run for one week and close Wed Apr 12, 2017 22:00 PST.
>>>
>>> Thanks ! (also separate thanks to Andrew Purtell for the help to get the
>>> RC
>>> out)
>>>
>>> -Mikhail Antonov

> Michael Antonov

Michael Antonov

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.3.1 (RC0) is available

Posted by Mikhail Antonov <ol...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Yu Li!

You picture doesn't load for me, could you repost? I'll run compatibility
checker too.

-Mikhail

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 11:22 PM, Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> -1 (non-binding)
>
> Checked sums and signatures: ok
> Built from source: ok (7u79)
> RAT check passed: ok (7u79)
> Compatibility check: Failed
>
> ​
>
> Checked the commit history and the above issue is introduced by
> HBASE-17716, and have opened HBASE-17886 to fix it.
>
> Best Regards,
> Yu
>
> On 6 April 2017 at 07:38, Mikhail Antonov <an...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce the first release candidate for Apache HBase
>> 1.3.1 is
>> available to download and testing.
>>
>> Artifacts are available here:
>>
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/1.3.1RC0/
>>
>> Maven artifacts are available in the staging repository:
>>
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1165
>>
>> All artifacts are signed with my code signing key 35A4ABE2, which is also
>> in the project KEYS file at
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/dist/hbase/KEYS
>>
>> these artifacts correspond to commit hash
>>
>> 2a425fc420a3de98eedd2ee7b703bb2873127f0e tagged as 1.3.1RC0.
>>
>> HBase 1.3.1 is the first maintenance release in the HBase 1.3.z release
>> line,
>> continuing on the theme of bringing a stable, reliable database to the
>> Hadoop and NoSQL communities. This release includes 67 resolved issues
>> since the initial 1.3.0 release that was 3 month ago.
>>
>> The full list of issues addressed is available at
>>
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?proje
>> ctId=12310753&version=12335746
>>
>> and also in the CHANGES.txt file in the root directory of the source
>> tarball.
>>
>> Please take a few minutes to verify the release and vote on
>> releasing it:
>>
>> [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache HBase 1.3.1
>> [ ] +0 no opinion
>> [ ] -1 Do not release this package because...
>>
>> This Vote will run for one week and close Wed Apr 12, 2017 22:00 PST.
>>
>> Thanks ! (also separate thanks to Andrew Purtell for the help to get the
>> RC
>> out)
>>
>> -Mikhail Antonov

Michael Antonov

Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.3.1 (RC0) is available

Posted by Yu Li <ca...@gmail.com>.
-1 (non-binding)