Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Indra Pramana <in...@sg.or.id> on 2014/06/30 07:07:54 UTC

Wrong timing when a Windows VM boots-up

Dear all,

We are using CloudStack 4.2.0 and KVM hypervisor. We are based in
Singapore, GMT +0800.

Recently we had some issues whenever a Windows-based guest VM under
CloudStack is being restarted, the time will move behind by 8 hours. For
example, if a VM was rebooted at 8am Singapore time, after reboot the clock
will show 12am Singapore time, which is the GMT equivalent. However, the
time zone is correctly stated as Singapore time, causing the whole system
clock to be 8 hour behind upon reboot and will stay that way until we
manually modify the time or synchronise with the Windows Internet time
server.

This issue may be related but it's for XenServer though. I am using KVM:

Anyone knows how to fix the problem? The issue seems to be only affecting
Windows guests (both Windows servers 2008 and 2012) and do not affect Unix
guests.

Looking forward to your reply, thank you.

Cheers.

Re: Wrong timing when a Windows VM boots-up

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.
The issue fixed here CLOUDSTACK-3443 is about persisting time across
restarts.
>From your description it appears that the time that is saved is
consistently moving behind by 8-hours.
After stopping a affected VM from cloudstack you can look at the time
offset value in user_vm_details
That will give you insight into what is happening.

-abhi

Posted by Abhinandan Prateek <Ab...@citrix.com>.