Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Herbert Duerr <hd...@apache.org> on 2014/03/25 12:50:00 UTC

Re: Incubator still has SVN tree => to be removed in 72h

On 24.03.2014 15:36, Herbert Duerr wrote:
> On 24.03.2014 15:13, sebb wrote:

>>> There are still many e.g. Wiki pages that reference the incubator
>>> locations.
>>> I updated some of them but there are still plenty left, e.g. about the
>>> branch aw080, netbeans, OOXML, etc.
>>>
>>> I suggest to update them to their new location at
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice
>>> For links that should continue to point into the incubator directory,
>>> e.g.
>>> because the branch was integrated and removed at the new location SVN
>>> offers
>>> the possibility to reference older branches using the
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/!svn/bc/1555555/incubator/ooo/trunk/
>>> notation.
>>
>> Although that should work, I think it could be confusing.
>>
>> IMO it would be better to find the appropriate entry in the new SVN
>> layout.
>> If there is no such entry, is there really a need to keep the
>> reference to the incubator-only SVN tree?
>
> I mostly agree. For the pages that I already updated I was able to
> change all references to their new repository location.
>
> But for sub-project specific pages the status is not always obvious
> which alternative would be most suitable:
> - update them to their new repository location
> - keep the link into the incubator location
> - are the pages are still relevant or could/should they be deleted.
> AFAIK it is not easy to resurrect deleted Wiki pages, so doing that on
> still somewhat interesting pages would be a net loss.
>
> The best solution would be to check the problematic pages and their
> links. So if anyone has more insight into their status please update them:
> A quick google search found pages about the "object inspector
> extension", the "netbeans" extension, the "aw080" branch, OOXML, etc.

A closer examination showed that the problematic links had counterparts
in the post-graduation repository location and the text around these
links didn't indicate a special dependency, so I'm confident that it was
OK to update them, which I just did.

So if the next 72 hours indicate consensus on removing the incubator/ooo
part of the repository I suggest that we  should do so. The code history
is already preserved in our git-import.

Herbert

Re: Incubator still has SVN tree => to be removed in 72h

Posted by Herbert Duerr <hd...@apache.org>.
On 25.03.2014 13:07, Herbert Duerr wrote:
> On 25.03.2014 13:00, Rob Weir wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 7:50 AM, Herbert Duerr <hd...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> So if the next 72 hours indicate consensus on removing the incubator/ooo
>>> part of the repository I suggest that we  should do so. The code
>>> history is
>>> already preserved in our git-import.
>>>

>> The only issue would be if anyone is doing LTS on 3.40 or 3.4.1,
>> right?  Didn't those versions go back to SVN to pick up the binary
>> dependencies?
>
> All tags (including AOO340 and AOO341) and the AOO34x release branch are
> also available at the post-graduation location [1][2][3], so this use
> case should be covered.
>
> [1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/tags/AOO340
> [2] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/tags/AOO341
> [3] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/branches/AOO34/

And the old revisions will still be there, all we're about to do is to
remove the incubator/ooo tree from future revisions.

Herbert

Re: Incubator still has SVN tree => to be removed in 72h

Posted by Herbert Duerr <hd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 7:50 AM, Herbert Duerr <hd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 24.03.2014 15:36, Herbert Duerr wrote:

>>> Although that should work, I think it could be confusing.
>>>
>>> IMO it would be better to find the appropriate entry in the new SVN
>>> layout.
>>> If there is no such entry, is there really a need to keep the
>>> reference to the incubator-only SVN tree?
>>

>> I mostly agree. For the pages that I already updated I was able to
>> change all references to their new repository location.
>>
>> But for sub-project specific pages the status is not always obvious
>> which alternative would be most suitable:
>> - update them to their new repository location
>> - keep the link into the incubator location
>> - are the pages are still relevant or could/should they be deleted.
>> AFAIK it is not easy to resurrect deleted Wiki pages, so doing that on
>> still somewhat interesting pages would be a net loss.
>>
>> The best solution would be to check the problematic pages and their
>> links. So if anyone has more insight into their status please update them:
>> A quick google search found pages about the "object inspector
>> extension", the "netbeans" extension, the "aw080" branch, OOXML, etc.
>

> A closer examination showed that the problematic links had counterparts in
> the post-graduation repository location and the text around these links
> didn't indicate a special dependency, so I'm confident that it was OK to
> update them, which I just did.
>
> So if the next 72 hours indicate consensus on removing the incubator/ooo
> part of the repository I suggest that we  should do so. The code history is
> already preserved in our git-import.

The only issue would be if anyone is doing LTS on 3.40 or 3.4.1,
right?  Didn't those versions go back to SVN to pick up the binary
dependencies?

-Rob

Posted by Herbert Duerr <hd...@apache.org>.
On 25.03.2014 12:50, Herbert Duerr wrote:
> [...]
> So if the next 72 hours indicate consensus on removing the incubator/ooo
> part of the repository I suggest that we  should do so. The code history
> is already preserved in our git-import.

Ok, the 72h period is up and we reached (lazy) consensus on it. The
incubator/ooo tree has the read-only flag on though so it cannot be
removed yet. If anyone has the karma to make it writable again please do
so. Or remove the incubator/ooo part of the repository directly.

Herbert