Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Łukasz Budnik <lu...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/04 12:04:21 UTC

pre-compiled JSPs throw exceptions

Hi All!

I'm trying to run a web application that has pre-compiled JSP pages.

I'm doing so because Geronimo's on the fly JSP compilation takes ages
compared to building and deploying whole JEE application from the
scratch :(

For example a JSP page (with JSF: MyFaces + Tomahawk + Tomahawk
Sandbox) takes up to 15-20 seconds to compile!

You must admit that this is insane...

I've integrated Jasper's JSPC tool with my Ant project to pre-compile
JSP to servlets and later on to compile generated servlets classes to
byte codes.

OK this is what I'm doing:

1. run JSPC tool:

<target name="jspc" depends="web-compile">
		<taskdef classname="org.apache.jasper.JspC" name="jasper2" >
			<classpath refid="jspc-classpath"/>
		</taskdef>

		<jasper2 verbose="0"
			package="org.xh.nuntius.web.jsps"
			uriroot="${web-build}/classes"
			webXmlFragment="${web-build}/classes/WEB-INF/generated_web.xml"
			outputDir="${web-build}/classes/WEB-INF/src" />

	</target>

2. compile generated servlets from the 1st step

	<target name="jspc-compile" depends="jspc">
		<javac srcdir="${web-build}/classes/WEB-INF/src"
destdir="${web-build}/classes/WEB-INF/classes"
classpathref="jspc-classpath" encoding="UTF-8" />
	</target>

3. merge generated_web.xml with original web.xml

4. copy compiled jsp-servlets to WEB-INF/classes

I can deploy my application successfully, but when I access any JSP page I get:

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: separate instantiation and
injection is not supported
	org.apache.geronimo.jasper.JasperServletContextCustomizer$JasperInstanceManager.newInstance(JasperServletContextCustomizer.java:84)
	org.xh.nuntius.web.jsps.main.contact_jsp._jspx_meth_f_005fview_005f0(Unknown
Source)
	org.xh.nuntius.web.jsps.main.contact_jsp._jspService(Unknown Source)
	org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:806)
	org.xh.nuntius.web.filters.SecurityAbuseDetectorFilter.doFilter(Unknown Source)
	org.xh.nuntius.web.filters.CharsetFilter.doFilter(Unknown Source)
java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: separate instantiation and
injection is not supported

Or is there some other way (geronimo-web.xml descriptor?) I can force
Geronimo to pre-compile my JSP pages?

thanks in advance for any hints

best regards
Łukasz

Re: pre-compiled JSPs throw exceptions

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Aug 4, 2008, at 4:25 AM, Roman Puchkovskiy wrote:

> [...]
>
> org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy
> $VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:265)
>
> org
> .acegisecurity
> .intercept
> .web.FilterSecurityInterceptor.invoke(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:
> 107)
>
> org
> .acegisecurity
> .intercept
> .web
> .FilterSecurityInterceptor.doFilter(FilterSecurityInterceptor.java:72)
>
> org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy
> $VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:275)
>
> org
> .acegisecurity
> .ui
> .ExceptionTranslationFilter.doFilter(ExceptionTranslationFilter.java:
> 124)
>
> org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy
> $VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:275)
>
> org
> .acegisecurity
> .providers
> .anonymous
> .AnonymousProcessingFilter.doFilter(AnonymousProcessingFilter.java:
> 125)
>
> org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy
> $VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:275)
>
> org
> .acegisecurity
> .wrapper
> .SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter
> .doFilter(SecurityContextHolderAwareRequestFilter.java:81)
>
> org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy
> $VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:275)
>
> org
> .acegisecurity
> .context
> .HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter
> .doFilter(HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.java:249)
>
> org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy
> $VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:275)
>
> org
> .acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:
> 149)
>
> org
> .acegisecurity
> .util.FilterToBeanProxy.doFilter(FilterToBeanProxy.java:98)
>
> org.springframework.web.filter.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilterInternal
> (CharacterEncodingFilter.java:96)
>
> org
> .springframework
> .web.filter.OncePerRequestFilter.doFilter(OncePerRequestFilter.java:
> 76)
>

> To work this around, one may set system property called
> org.apache.jasper.Constants.USE_INSTANCE_MANAGER_FOR_TAGS to true
> before
> calling to JspC.
>
> So, here's a little question: is it really intended to work how it
> works? I
> mean it's not very intiutive to set some system properties to
> compile JSPs
> successfully. Or, possibly, I've just misunderstood something?

How jsps work is no longer independent of the web container they are
run in.  Annotation support requires that the objects for tags get
configured by the annotation support/injection system in the
container. Jasper supports two styles depending on the flag:

1. InstanceManager creates and configures the object in one call.  I
like this because it's a really clean separation of concerns and can
support constructor dependency injection etc with no user/jsp code
changes.
2. the calling code creates the object and uses the InstanceManager to
inject stuff.  Some tomcat people wanted this option IIRC because
calling a hardcoded constructor is slightly faster than using
reflection.

Hope this clears things up a bit
david jencks

Posted by Roman Puchkovskiy <ro...@blandware.com>.
Hi.

I've faced the problem which is described here: when a tag which extends
SimpleTagSupport (2.0 spec) is used on a JSP, jasper compiler included in
Geronimo 2.1.1 generates code which throws UnsupportedOperationException.
[...]

org.acegisecurity.util.FilterChainProxy$VirtualFilterChain.doFilter(FilterChainProxy.java:275)

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 5, 2008, at 6:30 AM, Łukasz Budnik wrote:

> Hi Kevan,
>
> On 04/04/2008, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have some fuzzy memory of somebody reporting the same slow JSP
>> compilation
>> performance problem, trying it myself, and not seeing the problem. I
>> couldn't find anything searching back through email, though (as i
>> say it's a
>> fuzzy memory :).
>>
>> You'll need to use the JspC class from
>> repository/org/apache/tomcat/jasper/6.0.14-G614585/jasper-6.0.14-
>> G614585.jar
>> in your Geronimo install. Our pom.xml shows how to do this in
>> maven. I've
>> never done it, but as an Ant task, think you'll just need to set your
>> jspc-classpath.
>
> Yes, I'm using my own jspc-classpath, and of course I'm using
> Geronimo's Jasper.

<snip>

>> Lukasz possible that you could suggest some documentation after you
>> fix your
>> problem?
>
> sure, wish me luck ;)

Sorry. I misunderstood your problem (guess I didn't look closely
enough).

Nice work!

--kevan

Re: pre-compiled JSPs throw exceptions

Posted by Łukasz Budnik <lu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kevan,

On 04/04/2008, Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have some fuzzy memory of somebody reporting the same slow JSP compilation
> performance problem, trying it myself, and not seeing the problem. I
> couldn't find anything searching back through email, though (as i say it's a
> fuzzy memory :).
>
> You'll need to use the JspC class from
> repository/org/apache/tomcat/jasper/6.0.14-G614585/jasper-6.0.14-G614585.jar
> in your Geronimo install. Our pom.xml shows how to do this in maven. I've
> never done it, but as an Ant task, think you'll just need to set your
> jspc-classpath.

Yes, I'm using my own jspc-classpath, and of course I'm using Geronimo's Jasper.

This is my full jspc-classpath (as you can see, every pathelement
starts with ${GERONIMO_HOME}):

<path id="jspc-classpath">
	  <!-- taglib jsp core -->
	  <pathelement
location="${GERONIMO_HOME}\repository\jstl\jstl\1.2\jstl-1.2.jar" />
	  <!-- taglib jsf core and html -->
	  <pathelement
location="${GERONIMO_HOME}\repository\org\apache\myfaces\core\myfaces-impl\1.2.2\myfaces-impl-1.2.2.jar"/>
	  <!-- taglib tomahawk -->
	  <pathelement
location="${GERONIMO_HOME}\repository\org\apache\myfaces\tomahawk\tomahawk\1.1.7-SNAPSHOT\tomahawk-1.1.7-SNAPSHOT.jar"
/>
	  <!-- taglib tomahawk sandbox -->
	  <pathelement
location="${GERONIMO_HOME}\repository\org\apache\myfaces\tomahawk\tomahawk-sandbox\1.1.7-SNAPSHOT\tomahawk-sandbox-1.1.7-SNAPSHOT.jar"
/>
	  <!-- Geronimo's jasper -->
	  <pathelement
location="${GERONIMO_HOME}\repository\org\apache\tomcat\jasper\6.0.14-G614585\jasper-6.0.14-G614585.jar"
/>
	  <pathelement
location="${GERONIMO_HOME}\repository\org\apache\tomcat\jasper-el\6.0.14\jasper-el-6.0.14.jar"
/>
	  <pathelement
location="${GERONIMO_HOME}\repository\org\apache\geronimo\specs\geronimo-jsp_2.1_spec\1.0.1\geronimo-jsp_2.1_spec-1.0.1.jar"
/>
	  <pathelement
location="${GERONIMO_HOME}\repository\org\apache\geronimo\specs\geronimo-el_1.0_spec\1.0.1\geronimo-el_1.0_spec-1.0.1.jar"
/>
	  <!-- required by Jasper -->
	  <pathelement
location="${GERONIMO_HOME}\repository\org\apache\tomcat\juli\6.0.14\juli-6.0.14.jar"
/>
	  <path refid="web-classpath" />
</path>

> Lukasz possible that you could suggest some documentation after you fix your
> problem?

sure, wish me luck ;)

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.