Posted to xindice-users@xml.apache.org by Ali Mesbah <al...@West.NL> on 2003/04/01 09:33:33 UTC

Re: Support for XQuery

As quoted from "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>:
> > Are there are any plans for supporting XQuery on Xindice? Thanks.

I had the same question actually. The interest for XQuery is increasing rapidly
among xml-based developers. It is such a shame that no open-source native xml
database supports it yet.

> If you're volunteering to support XQuery, I'm sure that it will be supported.
> Otherwise AFAIK no plan to support it at the moment.  It would be very nice but
> you have to take the time to do it...

Is it not possible to integrate an open-source implementation like Qexo into
Xindice? You definitely don't want to invent the wheel.

Thanks,
Ali

--
-- Ali Mesbah, West Consulting B.V., www.west.nl, +31 15 2191600

Re: Support for XQuery

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.
> "it is such shame that ..." means "it is a pity that ..." or "it would be
> great if ..." in this sense.

Funny.  I did a search on Google:

<http://66.154.91.2/papyrus/kintyre/oldeenglish.html>

"It's a sad world when there's no one to hold you. Especially when you
just need to cry, isn't it? It's such a shame when everyone goes down on
their knees."

I guess there are "shame" and "shame"

End of discussion.  I have code to fix and patches to send

-Vlaidmir

--
Vladimir R. Bossicard
www.bossicard.com

Re: Support for XQuery

Posted by al...@West.NL.

>> First of all I love the open-source community and what they offer.
>> Secondly I was merely saying that there is an increasing degree of
>> interest for XQuery and simply stating the fact that no open-source
>> native xml database (not only Xindie) has yet begun implementing it. I
>> don't know why you are offended but I certainly dont appreciate the
>> way you respond.
>
> I was offended by the "it is such a shame".  These words are very
> powerful (at least when I translate them into French). [ shame =
> "negative emotion that combines feelings of dishonor, unworthiness and
> embarassment" ].  But maybe it's my English.

"it is such shame that ..." means "it is a pity that ..." or "it would be
great if ..." in this sense. You shouldn't take everything so literally.
I'm only saying this because I saw you referring to it in another email
showing it is still not cleared up.

>> The whole idea of having a mailinglist is to communicate about
>> concepts and change thoughts. If anyone who has a suggestion or a
>> question is treated the way you react, there won't be much left of
>> this mailinglist.
>
> And what about "Hello, I'm an XML user and Xindice addict.  I'm very
> interested in XQuery but this feature in [not yet] available in Xindice.
>
>   I think it would be a *very valuable* addon to Xindice.  There are
> several OS XQuery modules (like Qeno) and maybe it could be a good
> starting point for Xindice.  Are there other people interested in
> Xindice-XQuery?  Since I'm not a developer, I would be ready to help you
>  for the documentation."

 and the licensing battle continues...

> But as I said, it's maybe my English.
>
> -Vladimir
>
> --
> Vladimir R. Bossicard
> www.bossicard.com

Thanks,
Ali Mesbah

Re: Support for XQuery

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.

Re: Support for XQuery

Posted by Julien Le Dem <ju...@thet-is.net>.
Hum Hum,
Just maybe there's some kind of misunderstanding here.
English is not the mother language of a lot of people down here.
what people say isn't allways what they mean...

So just don't get angry too quickly on both sides :-D

Peace and Love in these difficult days

Julien

P.S. : I know I'm out of subject on this mailling list, I won't bother with
non-tech subjects any more ;-)

Re: Support for XQuery

Posted by Ali Mesbah <al...@West.NL>.

--
-- Ali Mesbah, West Consulting B.V., www.west.nl, +31 15 2191600

Re: Support for XQuery

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.
Tom Wang wrote:

> Below is the answer I got from Per.  I guess that nix the qexo integration.
> I will check with xalan and see what their plan is regarding xpath 2.0.
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> -tom
>

> I'd be happy for you to use Qexo, assuming you can work
> with the license.  (I'm reluctant to switch to the
> Apache license, because I'm hoping to make some money
> from commercial licensing.)

Sheesh... isn't that funny? GPL as of today is the best way to make
commercial software in an open-sourceish way. I'm wondering if RMS is
realizing how he's actually *promoting* commercial software instead than
free: yeah, you have "free" as in speech, but if you want to speak you
have to pay admittance. Oh well...

> Note that Apache seems to have no problems depending on
> Sun classes for which there are no Free (open-sourcve)
> implementations, so I don't think they have any cause
> to object in principle to depending on Kawa-licensed code.

No way, the point here is virality. This has been discussed at length in
other places so I won't delve into it, but the point is that if we are
to use GPL (or any GPL derived) Java code, all our codebase would become
instantly GPL because of virality. This doesn't happen for Sun classes.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino
Pro-netics s.r.l.

RE: Support for XQuery

Posted by Tom Wang <to...@panscopic.com>.
Below is the answer I got from Per.  I guess that nix the qexo integration.
I will check with xalan and see what their plan is regarding xpath 2.0.
Thanks for the reply.

-tom

I'd be happy for you to use Qexo, assuming you can work
with the license.  (I'm reluctant to switch to the
Apache license, because I'm hoping to make some money
from commercial licensing.)

Note that the Kawa/Qexo license isn't quite the GPL.
You can treat it as the GPL, or if you use it unchanged
from an official release there are no restrictions, or
you can pay for a commercial license.  So while the FSF
believes that the Apache license is incompatible with
the GPL, it is not incompatible with the Kawa license.

Note that Apache seems to have no problems depending on
Sun classes for which there are no Free (open-sourcve)
implementations, so I don't think they have any cause
to object in principle to depending on Kawa-licensed code.

If you need to tweak the Qexo APIs to make it work better
with Xindice, I'll be happy to incorporate such changes.
Note that Qexo currently only really supports XML read
into its internal TreeList representation (a more compact
DOM format similar in some ways to Xalan's DAM).  However,
there is some support for using on more abstract
"iterator-like" API, which might be better for a true
XML database, especially for large documents that you
don't want to fully read into memory.
--
	--Per Bothner

Re: Support for XQuery

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

RE: Support for XQuery

Posted by Tom Wang <to...@panscopic.com>.
Hello,

I'm fairly new to this mailing list.  I've used both XIndice and qexo.  I
had some experience with SQL and XML Query so I'd like to volunteer myself
for the XQuery task.  Can some xindice developer give me some hints on where
I ought to start?  I'm not familiar with your open source development
procedure.  Thanx!

Ideally it would be nice to incorporate qexo into xindice.  But qexo is
under GPL license, not open source.  I'll email Per Bothner asking for his
permission.

I think 80% of the XQuery work will be to support XPath 2.0.  If I
understand correctly xindice curretnly delegates all XPath queries to xalan.
Any one knows if there has been any efforts from the xalan group to support
xpath 2.0?

-Tom

Re: Support for XQuery

Posted by "Vladimir R. Bossicard" <vl...@bossicard.com>.