Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net> on 2002/10/29 04:59:32 UTC

Re: svn commit: rev 3545 - trunk

mbk@tigris.org writes:

> Author: mbk
> Date: 2002-10-28 21:49:55 -0600 (Mon, 28 Oct 2002)
> New Revision: 3545
>
> Modified:
>    trunk/Makefile.in
>    trunk/build.conf
>    trunk/configure.in

Ah, I see that you've taught ./configure to search for the xmlrpc-epi
library.

I downloaded the latest sourceball of xmlrpc-epi, and the thing won't
build on FreeBSD.  It can't find 'iconv.h' that one of the C files
#includes.  On BSD, it's in /usr/local/include, instead of
/usr/include.  (Stupid linux-centric sourceball!)

Anyone know how to make its configure.in find iconv.h and add a proper
-I to the cflags?  My autoconf-fu is super weak.  I added 'iconv.h' to
the AC_CHECK_HEADERS() macro, but that merely causes ./configure to
print

checking iconv.h usability... no
checking iconv.h presence... no
checking for iconv.h... no

...and then go its merry way.

If this is fixable, I'd like to send a configure.in patch to the
maintainer.

Re: svn commit: rev 3545 - trunk

Posted by Nicholas Riley <nj...@uiuc.edu>.
On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:38:20AM -0600, Nicholas Riley wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 09:18:09PM -0500, mark benedetto king wrote:
> > Did you run autogen.sh?
>
> yes, several times.

I tried again after updating to r3574 and both this and the db4
problem seem to be gone for me.  Yay.

--
=Nicholas Riley <nj...@uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>
        Pablo Research Group, Department of Computer Science and

Re: svn commit: rev 3545 - trunk

Posted by Nicholas Riley <nj...@uiuc.edu>.
On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 09:18:09PM -0500, mark benedetto king wrote:
> Did you run autogen.sh?

yes, several times.

Re: svn commit: rev 3545 - trunk

Posted by mark benedetto king <bk...@inquira.com>.
On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 05:54:55PM -0600, Nicholas Riley wrote:
> In trying to reproduce another problem, I'm updating all my installs
> to HEAD and am having a XML-RPC related problem:
>
> /bin/sh /Users/nicholas/src/svn/obj/libtool --silent --mode=compile
> gcc -DDARWIN -DSIGPROCMASK_SETS_THREAD_MASK -no-cpp-precomp  -g -O2
> -I../subversion/include -I. -I/Users/nicholas/src/svn/neon/src
> -I/Users/nicholas/src/svn/obj/apr/include
> -I/Users/nicholas/src/svn/apr/include
> -I/Users/nicholas/src/svn/obj/apr-util/include
> -I/Users/nicholas/src/svn/apr-util/include
> -I/Users/nicholas/src/svn/obj/apr-util/xml/expat/lib
> @SVN_XMLRPC_INCLUDES@ -o subversion/libsvn_auth/auth.lo -c
> ../subversion/libsvn_auth/auth.c
>
> any idea why this is not getting substituted?

Did you run autogen.sh?

--ben

Re: svn commit: rev 3545 - trunk

Re: svn commit: rev 3545 - trunk

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>.
mark benedetto king <bk...@inquira.com> writes:

> It has some other issues, too (won't let you define your own
> allocator).  Also, because it doesn't just abstract
> the transport layer, but operates completely indepently of it,
> it becomes very difficult (impossible?) to use it in a streamy way.

I've had streaminess problems with Apache's XML-RPC client and server
as well.  Unfortunately, at least in part this issue is caused by
XML-RPC specification, which Dave Winer's Userland Software has the
trademark and copyright on (and which he _will not_ change):

 http://www.xml-rpc.com/spec

I've been occassionally pondering how to do Chunked Transfer Coding
with XML-RPC without breaking the specification for a while now -- I'm
thinking this would improve the streaminess significantly.
--

Daniel Rall <dl...@finemaltcoding.com>

Re: svn commit: rev 3545 - trunk

Posted by mark benedetto king <bk...@inquira.com>.
On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 10:59:32PM -0600, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:
> mbk@tigris.org writes:
>
> > Author: mbk
> > Date: 2002-10-28 21:49:55 -0600 (Mon, 28 Oct 2002)
> > New Revision: 3545
> >
> > Modified:
> >    trunk/Makefile.in
> >    trunk/build.conf
> >    trunk/configure.in
>
> Ah, I see that you've taught ./configure to search for the xmlrpc-epi
> library.
>
> I downloaded the latest sourceball of xmlrpc-epi, and the thing won't
> build on FreeBSD.  It can't find 'iconv.h' that one of the C files
> #includes.  On BSD, it's in /usr/local/include, instead of
> /usr/include.  (Stupid linux-centric sourceball!)

It has some other issues, too (won't let you define your own
allocator).  Also, because it doesn't just abstract
the transport layer, but operates completely indepently of it,
it becomes very difficult (impossible?) to use it in a streamy way.

Also, it wants to use its own expat, and it doesn't want you to
hook into it at the expat level.

Once we have a working ra_pipe, we can probably submit patches
to accomplish some of these refinements.

--ben