Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Vishal Jain <vi...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/07 06:45:23 UTC

Cannot get the revision information from the scm repository :

Hi,
I am trying to build my project on Eclipse, netbeans as well as on command
line
I am executing mvn install

I am getting following error message :

Provider message:
The svn command failed.
Command output:
svn: This client is too old to work with working copy '.'.  You need
to get a newer Subversion client, or to downgrade this working copy.
See http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#working-copy-format-change
for details.

[INFO]
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO]
[INFO] Cannot get the revision information from the scm repository :
Error!

[INFO]
[INFO]
[INFO] Total time: 7 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Mon Feb 07 11:05:56 IST 2011
[INFO] Final Memory: 24M/44M
[INFO]

To debug this I browsed to following link :
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#working-copy-format-change

Over here there is a python script
change-svn-wc-format.py<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/tools/client-side/change-svn-wc-format.py>

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/tools/client-side/change-svn-wc-format.py

I have downloaded this script and trying to run this script.

I have installed python 3.1 to run this script.

When I execute this I am getting following error :

C:\Python31>
C:\Python31>python change-svn-wc-format.py --help
  File "change-svn-wc-format.py", line 99
    except UnrecognizedWCFormatException, e:
                                        ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

C:\Python31>

IS the python script here is correct ??? Can anyone verify that.
I am not python programmer neither an expert on subversion.,
I just want my project to be build..

Need help here.
I have copied dev@subversion.apache.org as any developer only would have
written this python script.

Thanks and Regards,
Vishal

Re: Cannot get the revision information from the scm repository :

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag Vishal Jain,
am Montag, 7. Februar 2011 um 06:45 schrieben Sie:

> svn: This client is too old to work with working copy '.'.  You need
> to get a newer Subversion client, or to downgrade this working copy.
> See http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#working-copy-format-change
> for details.

Who created the working copy your maven build works on? If it was you,
an option could be to re-checkout with an older, maven compatible
client. Else you have to get maven up to date to work with the newer
working copy. Downgrading the working copy the hard way doesn't sound
like the best solution to me, because depending on who created it how
it could easily get updated again.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

--
Thorsten Schöning
AM-SoFT IT-Systeme - Hameln | Potsdam | Leipzig

Telefon: Potsdam: 0331-743881-0
E-Mail:  tschoening@am-soft.de
Web:     http://www.am-soft.de

AM-SoFT GmbH IT-Systeme, Konsumhof 1-5, 14482 Potsdam
Amtsgericht Potsdam HRB 21278 P, Geschäftsführer: Andreas Muchow

Re: Cannot get the revision information from the scm repository :

Posted by Johan Corveleyn <jc...@gmail.com>.
Please do not cross-post between users@ and dev@. This is really a
usage question (not about the development of subversion), so belongs
on users@.

[ I've left dev@ in cc for this one reply, please drop it from further
replies. ]

More below ...

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 6:45 AM, Vishal Jain <vi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to build my project on Eclipse, netbeans as well as on command
> line
> I am executing mvn install
>
> I am getting following error message :
>

> Provider message:
> The svn command failed.
> Command output:
> svn: This client is too old to work with working copy '.'.  You need
> to get a newer Subversion client, or to downgrade this working copy.
> See http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#working-copy-format-change
> for details.
>
> [INFO]
> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> [INFO]
> [INFO] Cannot get the revision information from the scm repository :
> Error!
>
> [INFO]
> [INFO]
> [INFO] Total time: 7 seconds
> [INFO] Finished at: Mon Feb 07 11:05:56 IST 2011
> [INFO] Final Memory: 24M/44M
> [INFO]
>
> To debug this I browsed to following link :
> http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#working-copy-format-change
>
> Over here there is a python script
> change-svn-wc-format.py<http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/tools/client-side/change-svn-wc-format.py>
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/tools/client-side/change-svn-wc-format.py
>
> I have downloaded this script and trying to run this script.
>
> I have installed python 3.1 to run this script.
>
> When I execute this I am getting following error :
>
> C:\Python31>
> C:\Python31>python change-svn-wc-format.py --help
>  File "change-svn-wc-format.py", line 99
>    except UnrecognizedWCFormatException, e:
>                                        ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Can you just try it with Python 2.x (2.7 for instance)? I don't know
details about the script, but just know that Python has changed quite
a bit between 2.x and 3.x (and this script certainly pre-dates python
3.x).

Further: as you have probably read in the svn faq entry: to avoid this
issue be careful that all the svn clients you use are from the same
major.minor version (e.g. all 1.6.x clients, or all 1.5.x).

HTH
--
Johan

Re: Cannot get the revision information from the scm repository :