Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2009/05/18 07:35:14 UTC

[DISCUSS - Camel 2.0] - Move not used components to a sandbox area

Hi

In Camel 2.0 we have several components that are not used, abandoned
and/or in a questionable quality. We have touched this issue before
and kinda agreed to move them to a sandbox area in SVN. Maybe using a
different name.

I have compiled a list for suggested components to be moved:
=================

camel-activemq-web
- not documented
- not used
- Kinda experiment code from James

camel-jhc
- lack quality in codebase
- has not been active maintained for a long time
- not documented
- not used
- and its a constant pain to keep updated when we do cross component
refactorings

camel-jmxconnect
- lack quality in codebase
- has not been active maintained for a long time
- not documented
- not used

camel-spring-javaconfig
- depends on Spring JavaConfig SNAPSHOT
- Spring JavaConfig is kinda @deprecated as its moved to be part of
Spring 3.0 core
- not documented
- not used
- Kinda experiment code from James
- remove the camel-example-spring-javaconfig also

camel-supercsv
- has not been active maintained for a long time
- not documented
- not used
- and we have 2-3 other CSV components (flatpack, csv, bindy)

camel-swing
- has not been active maintained for a long time
- not documented
- not used
- confusing concept what you can integrate with Swing.
- (Kinda experiment code from James)

camel-uface
- has not been active maintained for a long time
- not documented
- not used
- confusing concept what you can integrate with Swing / UFace.
- Kinda experiment code from James

And the next two is more up for debate
===================

camel-testng
- has not been active maintained for a long time
- not documented
- not used
- testng is loosing the battle against JUnit 4.x

camel-hamcrest
- has not been active maintained for a long time
- not documented
- not used
- we do not used it internally for unit testing either

Any thoughts?

--
Claus Ibsen
Apache Camel Committer

Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/davsclaus

Re: [DISCUSS - Camel 2.0] - Move not used components to a sandbox area

Posted by Charles Moulliard <cm...@gmail.com>.
Excellent idea to have a sandbox and also to move such components

Charles Moulliard
Senior Enterprise Architect
Apache Camel Committer

*****************************
blog : http://cmoulliard.blogspot.com

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Willem

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Claus

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Claus,

I think we should keep the camel-spring-javaconfig.
We *have* the document[1] and example[2] for it.
With the camel-spring-javaconfig, we could write the rule with DSL
without touching any XML configuration, specially the <package> tag.

    <package>org.apache.camel.spring.config.scan.route</package>
</camelContext>

[1]http://camel.apache.org/spring-java-config.html
[2]http://camel.apache.org/spring-java-config-example.html

Willem

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 11:35 PM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> In Camel 2.0 we have several components that are not used, abandoned
> and/or in a questionable quality. We have touched this issue before
> and kinda agreed to move them to a sandbox area in SVN. Maybe using a
> different name.
>
> I have compiled a list for suggested components to be moved:
> =================
> camel-jmxconnect
> - lack quality in codebase
> - has not been active maintained for a long time
> - not documented
> - not used

I'd like to keep this component around as I'd like to work on it to
improve it and build it out further.

Bruce
);'

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/