Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Hector Carcedo (Bitbased)" <he...@bitbased.com> on 2006/02/13 18:05:40 UTC

Struts In Action

Hello you all.

Is that ok that I start learning Struts using the actual edition of
'Strust In Action' or should I wait until the new edition with all the
new stuff?.

Thanks

Hector Carcedo.

Re: Struts In Action

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
Based on two facts (maybe psuedo-facts I suppose), I would say go ahead
and start with that book:

(1) WebWork is really pretty similar to Struts in many ways.  My suspicion
is that most developers will have little trouble slipping right into
Struts 2.0, so what you learn now will largely transfer, at least
conceptually, if not concretely.  Don't worry about Struts 1.3, for most
people it isn't going to be significantly different at all either.

(2) Struts development moves at a pretty slow pace (both a blessing and a
curse I suppose), so when will Struts 2.0 actually hit the streets?
Probably not for a while (I'm personally beting 6+ months, which isn't bad
considering all that has to get done).  1.3 hasn't even been released yet,
although that seems to be imminent.

So, I don't think you would be wasting your time or anything, and
certainly if you have a project looming it makes sense.  Remember though
that that book is *already* a little out of date... I don't think there is
much in it that doesn't still apply, but there is certainly more that has
come since it was written.  I think it is a good starting point if nothing
else.

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect