Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mi...@swissre.com on 2006/03/27 12:25:45 UTC

How to transit from Maven 1.0.2 to Maven 2 , what is the role of Maven 1.x ?

To whom may concern,

A general consideration on this topic: that I believe to be a general
problem.
Any of us which have for whatever reason done an investment in Maven 1.0.2,
pretty heavy as
in our case , are at moment in a kind of Limbo.

 We found inherent bugs in the Maven 1.0.2, that is not know where and if
will be solved : namely memory leak due to buggy version of Jelly libraries
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MAVEN-1294. That for small project is not
visible but when you start using multiprojects of more then 20 components
and
run reports and use the dashboard for aggregating the results than you hit
the upper physical memory management of the JDKs  ...
On the other side that bug is claimed to be solved since Maven 1.1-Beta and
as Maven 1.1 claims to be backward compatible that would be the natural
next try ....

But there you find that the Entities are no longer supported ..... show
stopper :-(

I understand the new concept implemented in Maven 2.x ... and it makes
definitely sense ... but we need a sort of continuous support to maintain
our investment ... and on the other side a big bang migration is not in
scope when in your landscape you have more than 50 application to mantain.

A simple solution would be to allow those which have such a need to move
to Maven 1.1 and still using entities ... knowing anyway that if a
restructuring is needed Maven 2 is there ....another solution could be to
fix the Jelly problem directly in the 1.0.x stream ?

Any help to clarify those points will be greatly accepted ...

Best Regards

Michele

This e-mail, including attachments, is intended for the person(s) or
company named and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged
information. Unauthorized disclosure, copying or use of this information
may be unlawful and is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please delete this message and notify the sender

Re: How to transit from Maven 1.0.2 to Maven 2 , what is the role of Maven 1.x ?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
I don't use M1 at all, so take this for what its worth...

Is there a reason you cannot download the Maven 1.0.2 sources from
SVN, update the Jelly libraries to eliminate the memory leak issue,
and produce your own internal 1.0.3 version? I don't know how much
work it would be to update the libraries, but assuming the API didn't
change, this might be a simple thing (?).

I strongly doubt you will get any substantial support on M102 at this
time from anyone outside of your own organization.

Wayne

Posted by Mi...@swissre.com.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michele,