Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "matic@nimp.co.uk" <ma...@nimp.co.uk> on 2012/08/04 14:22:51 UTC

Re: [math] integer factorization

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback and the pointer to PARI/GP. About existing stuff,
it seems there is none written in Java: I asked the question on
stackoverflow a while ago, nobody knows any library for the JVM.
About the applications, well, I agree it is not the #1 required
functionality in most applications. Still applications beyond pure maths do
exist: hash tables, pseudo random numbers, cryptography, electronics...
Clearly the int range is not enough for the standard public key
cryptography however it is enough for most of other applications (and
standard crypto stuff is fairly covered out of the box by java anyway).

I propose this because I looked for it, and ended up spending significant
time coding and testing it, so I though it would be useful to include it in
a library such as commons.math.

Best regards,
Sebastien

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Am 04.08.2012 14:22, schrieb matic@nimp.co.uk:
> Thanks for your feedback and the pointer to PARI/GP. About existing stuff,
> it seems there is none written in Java: I asked the question on
> stackoverflow a while ago, nobody knows any library for the JVM.

Hehe, even StackOverflow fails occasionally. Try
 http://krum.rz.uni-mannheim.de/jas/
for a start. Search for "java quadratic sieve" for some more code,
although most of the results seems to be more sample code rather than
production quality.
I vaguely remember there should be up to 12 Java based projects
including more or less sophisticated integer factorization stuff,
although I'm not current there and most of them could be dead.

> About the applications, well, I agree it is not the #1 required
> functionality in most applications. Still applications beyond pure maths do
> exist: hash tables, pseudo random numbers, cryptography, electronics...

Yes, developing and testing hash algorithms, pseudo random number
generators, crypto stuff etc. uses factorization, but everyday use
generally doesn't.
Apparently you are into serious hard core stuff. As fascinating as these
problems most likely are, they are not the primary target for commons
math, at least until now.

J.Pietschmann