Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> on 2013/07/16 00:49:45 UTC

[DISCUSS] Apache Traffic Server Summits

Hi all,

so one of the outcomes from the latest BarCamp, is that there might be a
place for one, or even two, official ATS Summits. The ideas floating was
something like:

Release Summit
--------------

  * To be held in the June / July timeframe.
  * Ideally connected (before or after) one of the larger conferences in
    this timeframe (e.g. Velocity CA or OSCon).
  * Focus on releasing next stable release
  * Focus on planning for upcoming stable features
  * 3-day event (1 for release, 1 for planning, 1 for "talks" and presentations)

Mid-term Summit
----------------

  * To be held in the December - January timeframe.
  * Possibly connected to an ApacheCon (time permitting?)
  * Focus on how to get to the next stable release. Realign as necessary.
  * Focus on bug triaging and bug squashing.
  * 2-day event (1-1.5 for realigning / triaging, 0.5 - 1 for talks,
    presentations)

This would require a little more planning and effort to put together than
the BarCamp's, but I personally think it's time well spent. We would of
course still participate in other BarCamp events, and also organize our own
BarCamp's as people feel. Hacking is never a bad thing.

We would work with the ASF Event planning org to put a more official stamp
on this. We'd also try to get some more corporate sponsors for locations,
food and possibly a T-shirt or some other schwag. This also depends on how
much time and effort the PMC feel it can spend on organizing this.

One concern is that this could sound too developer centric. I really do
believe that users and anyone interested in the development and status of
ATS can enjoy such events. Particularly as we move ahead on usability
improvements, plugins, documentations, management interfaces etc.

Thoughts? Good? Bad? No way! ? :)

-- Leif

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Traffic Server Summits

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 7/16/13 9:08 AM, Miles Libbey wrote:
>> There were some complaints. I dunno that it was any worse than something
>> like Skype though. The google hangout did screen sharing which was nice for
>>   the slides/bug triage, but buggy. Does Skype do screen sharing? Maybe we
>>   can try something like Webex or Goto meeting next time.
>
> Skype does. It's broadcast only (no way for the audience to take control of the screen), but I think thats desired.  In my last company, we used it extensively with success (US->US and US <--> London).

I'm sure we could get Citrix or WebEx to "sponsor" with a free webconf
if need be.

I think the main issue was that we relied on a laptop microphone. The
video was generally fine, but audio was not. Being able to hook into one
of those satellite microphone thingis would help tremendously. IMO,
better A/V setup is a must for this, and now that we've got some
experience, I'm confident we'd be able to summon up the technology for
it. ;)

Cheers,

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.
On Jul 16, 2013, at 9:08 AM, Miles Libbey <ml...@apache.org> wrote:

>> There were some complaints. I dunno that it was any worse than something
>> like Skype though. The google hangout did screen sharing which was nice for
>>  the slides/bug triage, but buggy. Does Skype do screen sharing? Maybe we
>>  can try something like Webex or Goto meeting next time.
>

> Skype does.

Skype recently changed screen sharing to a premium feature :(

Posted by Miles Libbey <ml...@apache.org>.

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@apache.org>.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 7/15/13 8:09 PM, Phil Sorber wrote:
> The one thing I would like to see more of is actual hacking. Maybe find
> one big bug or a new feature, and sit around and hack it out. Maybe break
> up into small groups of 3 or 4 people. I'm not sure if this approach would
> work, but more coding is something that I would like to see happen at
> these events, even if it's only a day or less.

Point taken. How does that fit in with time constraints? Do we make the
summits longer ? 4 + 3 days ? Note that we can still do BarCamps as often
(and wherever), with much less structure, and just more hacking.

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.
On Jul 15, 2013, at 7:09 PM, Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> so one of the outcomes from the latest BarCamp, is that there might be a place for one, or even two, official ATS Summits. The ideas floating was something like:
>
> Release Summit
> --------------
>
>  * To be held in the June / July timeframe.
>  * Ideally connected (before or after) one of the larger conferences in
>    this timeframe (e.g. Velocity CA or OSCon).
>  * Focus on releasing next stable release
>  * Focus on planning for upcoming stable features
>  * 3-day event (1 for release, 1 for planning, 1 for "talks" and presentations)
>

> Mid-term Summit
> ----------------
>
>  * To be held in the December - January timeframe.
>  * Possibly connected to an ApacheCon (time permitting?)
>  * Focus on how to get to the next stable release. Realign as necessary.
>  * Focus on bug triaging and bug squashing.
>  * 2-day event (1-1.5 for realigning / triaging, 0.5 - 1 for talks,
>    presentations)
>

> This would require a little more planning and effort to put together than the BarCamp's, but I personally think it's time well spent. We would of course still participate in other BarCamp events, and also organize our own BarCamp's as people feel. Hacking is never a bad thing.
>
> We would work with the ASF Event planning org to put a more official stamp on this. We'd also try to get some more corporate sponsors for locations, food and possibly a T-shirt or some other schwag. This also depends on how much time and effort the PMC feel it can spend on organizing this.
>
> One concern is that this could sound too developer centric. I really do believe that users and anyone interested in the development and status of ATS can enjoy such events. Particularly as we move ahead on usability improvements, plugins, documentations, management interfaces etc.
>
> Thoughts? Good? Bad? No way! ? :)
>
> -- Leif
>

> I am generally +1 on this idea. I think the devil is in the details, but it would be nice to at least give it a shot. I felt like the BarCamp/Summit in Denver was very productive, but I may be biased.

Yes, I'm also +1 on future Summits. More feedback and participation from users would be really helpful too.

> The one thing I would like to see more of is actual hacking. Maybe find one big bug or a new feature, and sit around and hack it out. Maybe break up into small groups of 3 or 4 people. I'm not sure if this approach would work, but more coding is something that I would like to see happen at these events, even if it's only a day or less.

I've never found these sort of events especially useful for getting work done, though I'm happy to try. I'm also happy to try remote pair programming or hacking sessions if anyone wants to rendezvous over G+, Skype or IRC.

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Traffic Server Summits

Posted by James Peach <jp...@apache.org>.

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

Posted by Phil Sorber <so...@apache.org>.