Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dan Vega <da...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/01 20:48:01 UTC

friendly urls

I am having a problem running a application on tomcat and its due to the ses
urls. I am pretty new to tomcat so I am sure you guys (&girls) already know
this.  I have a url that looks like this and from what I understand tomcat
does not support this and I was presented with 2 options.

http://dev.danvega.org/blog/index.cfm/2009/2/5/CFMU-Updates-coming-soon

1.) move to resin
2.) use a friendly url servlet.

* I would really like to go with option 2 but as I said I am new to this, so
anyone who could confirm this and point me in the right direction would be
awesome!

Thank You
Dan Vega
danvega@gmail.com
http://www.danvega.org

Re: friendly urls

Posted by Dan Vega <da...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all for the help. I indeed found urlRewrite last night and it has
turned out to be exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again for everything
guys!

Dan

Re: friendly urls

Posted by Ken Bowen <kb...@als.com>.
In this regard,   http://tuckey.org/urlrewrite/    is a very useful
tool.

-Ken

Re: friendly urls

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Re: friendly urls

RE: friendly urls

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Dan Vega [mailto:danvega@gmail.com]
> Subject: friendly urls
>
> I have a url that looks like this and from what I
> understand tomcat does not support this

Your understanding is incorrect; Tomcat doesn't care what URLs you give it - but your webapp might.

> http://dev.danvega.org/blog/index.cfm/2009/2/5/CFMU-Updates-coming-soon

> 1.) move to resin

Won't help.

> 2.) use a friendly url servlet.

Tomcat is a servlet container; it's the servlets of your webapps that process the URL.  Tomcat only matches whatever portion of the URL you've configured for each webapp, and then passes the request on to the appropriate webapp.  From that point on, it's up to the webapp to decipher and handle the request.

In your case, it looks like you want to use ColdFusion under Tomcat; if so, a little Googling would have found numerous descriptions of how to do it, including this one from Adobe itself:
http://www.adobe.com/support/coldfusion/j2ee/phase2-tomcat-deploy.html

Or if you want to use Railo instead:
http://railo.ch/en/index.cfm?treeID=351

 - Chuck

Re: friendly urls

Posted by Serge Fonville <se...@gmail.com>.
> * I would really like to go with option 2 but as I said I am new to this,
> so
> anyone who could confirm this and point me in the right direction would be
> awesome!

When I googled tomcat friendly urls, the first link was
http://www.coderanch.com/t/85405/Tomcat/Setting-Friendly-URLs-applications-Tomcat

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Serge Fonville