Posted to dev@iceberg.apache.org by liwei li <hi...@gmail.com> on 2022/05/13 02:46:11 UTC

[discuss] keep the commit history when adding a new engine version

Hi, guys
When we want to add support for a new version of an engine, simply copying files from an old version to a new directory will cause git commit history to be lost, making it difficult to find file change records, we can only go to look for changes in the old path, but we don't know it in which one, and the old may have been deleted. Is there a better way to keep it?
I recommend that we first rename the old version to the new one, and then make a new copy as the old version.
For example, if we want to add Spark 3.3, we can do the following:
1. Change the path of version 3.2 from v3.2 to v3.3
2. Create a copy of v3.2 from v3.3
3. Modify the v3.2 file to make it work for spark 3.3 correct.
What do you think of the above? Or is it necessary? Or if there is another better way?
Thank you.

Liwei Li
hililiwei@gmail.com

Re: [discuss] keep the commit history when adding a new engine version

Posted by Ryan Blue <bl...@tabular.io>.
Sounds reasonable to me. Let's try it the next time we add an engine
version.

--
Ryan Blue
Tabular

Re: [discuss] keep the commit history when adding a new engine version

Posted by Kyle Bendickson <ky...@tabular.io>.
I agree this is a good point.

Posted by Rajarshi Sarkar <rs...@gmail.com>.
+1, good point.

Posted by Reo Lei <le...@gmail.com>.
That is great ! +1 for this.

Posted by liwei li <hi...@gmail.com>.
Correct a clerical errr:

hililiwei@gmail.com<ma...@gmail.com>

Re: [discuss] keep the commit history when adding a new engine version

Posted by Steven Wu <st...@gmail.com>.