Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Jessica Niewint <j....@kiosco.org> on 2002/09/27 17:02:59 UTC

Output xsl --- next trap

HI it's me again.

With this xml file I get the right chapters for the right sections and the
right sections for the right document.
Only that my output is something like this
document
section A section B
chapter 1 chapter 2
chapter 3

I wanted to generate a document structure like this:
document
section A
chapter 1
chapter 2
section B
chapter 3

I have no idea if my way how to use  the esql -query is wrong or if I have
change the xsl file.

But may some one just give me a hint ...

Thank you in advance ...
J.

I will post again my xml and my xsl file. Sorry for this long posting.

myfile.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsp:page laguage="java" xmlns:xsp="http://apache.org/xsp"
xmlns:esql="http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/v2">
         <!-- Get Document -->
         <Document xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="schema.xsd"
xmlns:esql="http://apache.org/cocoon/SQL/v2" xmlns:xsp="http://apache.org/xsp">

                 <esql:connection>
                         <esql:pool>xmldb</esql:pool>
                         <xsp:logic> String document= "1";</xsp:logic>
                         <esql:execute-query>
                                 <esql:query>select * from document where
DocID=<xsp:expr>document</xsp:expr>
                                 </esql:query>
                                 <esql:results>
                                         <esql:row-results>
                                                 <DocObj>
                                                         <esql:get-string
column="DocObject"/>
                                                 </DocObj>
                                                 <DocTitle>
                                                         <esql:get-string
column="DocTitle"/>
                                                 </DocTitle>
                                                 <DocVer>
                                                         <esql:get-string
column="DocVersion"/>
                                                 </DocVer>

<!-- Get Sections-->
                                                 <Section>
                                                         <esql:execute-query>
                                                                 <esql:query>select
* from section where SecID=<xsp:expr>section</xsp:expr></esql:query>
                                                                         <esql:results>
                                                                                 <esql:row-results>
                                                                                                 <SecTitle>
                                                                                                         <esql:get-string
column="SecTitle"/>
                                                                                                 </SecTitle>
                                                                                                 <SecContent>
                                                                                                         <esql:get-string
column="SecContent"/>
                                                                                                 </SecContent>
<!-- Get Chapter for every selected Section -->
                                                                                                 <Chapter>
                                                                                                         <esql:execute-query>
                                                                                                                         <esql:query>select
* from chapter where ChapID=<xsp:expr>chapter</xsp:expr> AND
Section=<xsp:expr>section</xsp:expr></esql:query>
                                                                                                                                 <esql:results>
                                                                                                                                         <esql:row-results>
                                                                                                                                                         <ChapTitle>
                                                                                                                                                                 <esql:get-string
column="ChapTitle"/>
                                                                                                                                                         </ChapTitle>
                                                                                                                                                         <ChapContent>
                                                                                                                                                                 <esql:get-string
column="ChapContent"/>
                                                                                                                                                         </ChapContent>
                                                                                                                                         </esql:row-results>
                                                                                                                                 </esql:results>
                                                                                                                         </esql:execute-query>
                                                                                                         </Chapter>

                                                                                 </esql:row-results>
                                                                         </esql:results>
                                                         </esql:execute-query>
                                                 </Section>

                                         </esql:row-results>
                                 </esql:results>
                         </esql:execute-query>
                 </esql:connection>
         </Document>
</xsp:page>

myfile.xsl:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
         <xsl:template match="/">
                         <head/>
                                 <xsl:for-each select="Document">
select="DocTitle">
                                                 <xsl:apply-templates/>
                                         </xsl:for-each>
select="DocObj">
                                                 <xsl:apply-templates/>
                                         </xsl:for-each>
select="DocVer">
                                                 <xsl:apply-templates/>
                                         </xsl:for-each>
<!-- Output Section -->
<xsl:for-each select="SecTitle">
                                                         <xsl:apply-templates/>
                                                 </xsl:for-each>
<xsl:for-each select="SecContent">
                                                         <xsl:apply-templates/>
                                                 </xsl:for-each>
<!-- Output Chapter -->
                                                 <xsl:for-each
select="Chapter">
<xsl:for-each select="ChapTitle">
                                                                 <xsl:apply-templates/>
                                                         </xsl:for-each>
select="ChapContent">
                                                                 <xsl:apply-templates/>
                                                         </xsl:for-each>
                                                 </xsl:for-each>
                                         </xsl:for-each>
                                 </xsl:for-each>
         </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Re: tool xml/xsl ???

Posted by "Conrad F. D'Cruz" <co...@netswirl.com>.
I use Eclipse (open source IDE) for Java development with the XML Buddy
plug-in.

Conrad

Re: tool xml/xsl ???

Posted by Jessica Niewint <j....@kiosco.org>.
apart from xml-spy ????
(or is it the tool of the tools ???)

Re: tool xml/xsl ???

Posted by Richard Reyes <ri...@voxsant.com>.
xmlspy?

Posted by "Ilya A. Kriveshko" <il...@kaon.com>.
I am using xslide - a major mode for Emacs (or XEmacs in my case.)
It does all the syntax highlighting you'd ever want, auto-completion,
templates, indentation, etc. It also can invoke an XSLT process so you
can view the results. Highly customizable, too, if you are into it.

http://www.xemacs.org or http://www.emacs.org
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xslide/

2c
--
Ilya

P.S.: If you've never used emacs, it's a steep learning curve, but
well-worth it if you are planning stick to it for a while.

Re: tool xml/xsl ???

Posted by Antonio Gallardo Rivera <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
A good editor is for example:

http://www.jedit.org/

Also it have some plug-ins:
XML tree
XSLT Tranformer
XPath Tool
XML Insert.
and more....

Antonio Gallardo

Antonio Gallardo

Re: tool xml/xsl ???

Posted by "Emmanuil Batsis (Manos)" <mb...@humanmarkup.org>.

RE: tool xml/xsl ???

Posted by Ryan Agler <ry...@hotmail.com>.
X-Emacs has some great XML editing modes.  It's free.

tool xml/xsl ???

Posted by Jessica Niewint <j....@kiosco.org>.

RE: Output xsl --- next trap

Posted by Jessica Niewint <j....@kiosco.org>.
At 19.48 30/09/2002 +0200, you wrote:
>Jessica,
>
>good, now I can sort it out:
>
>1) The XML produced by the XSP is not particolarly suited to the purpose;
>a better output is attached as myfile.xml (please, note
>the embedding of "chapter" and "paragraph" elements)
>
>2) The XSLT you wrote is "procedural", but should be "declarative"
>instead. A complete re-work of your XSLT is attached as
>myfile.xsl (I took the liberty of adding some HTML formatting to further
>clarify the document's structure)

Thank you so much ....

>At the end of the day:
>
><advices>
>         <advice type="wise">
>                 Get yourself "XSLT" by Doug Tidwell (O'Reilly) and start
> studying it:
>                 XSLT does matter, you won't regret learning it
>         </advice>

Ok, I will go and by it  .... and study it ;-)

>         <advice type="unabashed self-promoting">
>                 Get some mentoring by a Cocoon/XSLT consultant who happens to
>                 live in Italy...
>         </advice>

first I have to convince someone (my company)  to pay for it :-D (ma l'idea
giusta)

></advices>
>
>Best regards,

Grazie mille ancora per tutto l'aiuto che ci hai dato ! Jessica

RE: Output xsl --- next trap

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.
Jessica,

[...]

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant
              lmorandini@ieee.org

RE: Output xsl --- next trap

Posted by Jessica Niewint <j....@kiosco.org>.

RE: Output xsl --- next trap

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.
Jessica,

you have a pipeline, do you ? You just have to comment the transformation stage and  change the serializer from HTML to XML of that
pipeline, something like:

<map:match name="wildcard" pattern="foo.xml">
	<map:generate type="serverpages" src="xsp/foo.xsp"/>
<!-- Commented out for debug
	<map:transform type="xslt" src="bar.xsl"/>
    	<map:serialize type="html"/>
-->
    	<map:serialize type="xml"/> <!-- XML output for debug -->
</map:match>

Best regards,

P.S.
You could use "views" to the same effect, but this is an *advanced* topic :)

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant
              lmorandini@ieee.org

RE: Output xsl --- next trap

Posted by Jessica Niewint <j....@kiosco.org>.

RE: Output xsl --- next trap

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.
Jessica,

ok, let's get this straight:

1) the myfile.xml XML (actually, an XSP file) produces an XML document (as a SAX stream)
2) the myfile.xsl reads this SAX stream, transforms it, and produces yet another SAX stream (which happens to be XHTML)
3) your browser displays it

I'd like to see the output of step 1 (I mean, the XML you retrieve from the DBMS).
My idea is that there is a way to do what you want by modifying your XSL code.

Best regards,

               Luca Morandini
               GIS Consultant
              lmorandini@ieee.org

RE: Output xsl --- next trap

Posted by Jessica Niewint <j....@kiosco.org>.

RE: Output xsl --- next trap

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.
Jessica,

RE: Output xsl --- next trap

Posted by Jessica Niewint <j....@kiosco.org>.
At 11.00 30/09/2002 +0200, you wrote:

Thank you a lot for your answer :

> > I hope you wanted the output of the xml file in the browser ....
> >

>Well, I'd like the "tagged" version of it ("View / Page source" would do)

My "tagged" version:

html xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
<head>
<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
</head>
10

> > Because I work in Italy ?!
>
>Makes sense.

Hope so !

RE: Output xsl --- next trap

Posted by Luca Morandini <lu...@tin.it>.
> I hope you wanted the output of the xml file in the browser ....

Well, I'd like the "tagged" version of it ("View / Page source" would do)

> Because I work in Italy ?!

Makes sense.

Best regards,

               Luca Morandini