Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@infoplanning.com> on 2000/12/02 04:50:00 UTC

Re: cvs commit: xml-cocoon/lib servlet_2_3.jar servlet_2_2.jar

dims@locus.apache.org wrote:

> dims        00/12/01 16:25:43
>
>   Added:       lib      Tag: xml-cocoon2 servlet_2_3.jar
>   Removed:     lib      Tag: xml-cocoon2 servlet_2_2.jar
>   Log:
>   Moving to Servlet 2.3

I didn't catch the vote to move to 2.3 at this time, is that
what we are doing?

I would have to seriously -1 this if it breaks compatibility
with Servlet 2.2!

We need Cocoon _with_ sitemap (aka Cocoon 2) to work with
currently available Servlet engines.  I absolutely do _NOT_
want to fork code to maintain Servlet 2.2 compliance.  Our
company is committed to making Cocoon work--it is a pivotal
piece of some intranet applications we are building, and
the J2EE container that our customer has chosen (IBM WebSphere)
requires a service pack to get it to Servlet 2.2 compliance.
I shudder to think how long it would take for IBM to catch
up to a standard that to my knowledge is not even released
yet!

What do we hope to gain by this IMNSHO premature move?  We
should stick to _released_ standards compliance that there
is support for, and only innovate standards when there are
none that are workable (i.e. XSP vs. JSP).  I am not sure
what technical advantage Servlet 2.3 gives us over Servlet 2.2.

AW: cvs commit: xml-cocoon/lib servlet_2_3.jar servlet_2_2.jar

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@sundn.de>.
Hi,

no need for my opinion as it seems we rolled into and backout of servlet 2.3
support over the weekend.

> We need Cocoon _with_ sitemap (aka Cocoon 2) to work with
> currently available Servlet engines.

This is the key statement. If we can find a compatible way of doing so (i.e.
either 2.2 or 2.3) then that would be the way to go.

Matthew Langham

Tel: +49-5251-1581-30   [mlangham@sundn.de - http://www.sundn.de]

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 10:50:00PM -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> dims@locus.apache.org wrote:
> >   Added:       lib      Tag: xml-cocoon2 servlet_2_3.jar
> >   Removed:     lib      Tag: xml-cocoon2 servlet_2_2.jar
> I didn't catch the vote to move to 2.3 at this time, is that
> what we are doing?

Ditto.

> I would have to seriously -1 this if it breaks compatibility
> with Servlet 2.2!

Ditto.

> We need Cocoon _with_ sitemap (aka Cocoon 2) to work with
> currently available Servlet engines.

Ditto. I'd have some very unhappy customers (and bank managers)
otherwise. JRun is a must (since we have a project scheduled
to deploy on it in 3 months), and I suspect a lot of other
people are using commercial servlet containers which will not
be s2.3 clean in the near future.

Do we actually *need* 2.3 yet?

P.

--
Paul Russell                               <pa...@luminas.co.uk>
Luminas Ltd.

Re: cvs commit: xml-cocoon/lib servlet_2_3.jar servlet_2_2.jar

Posted by Paul Russell <pa...@luminas.co.uk>.
On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 10:50:00PM -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> dims@locus.apache.org wrote:
> >   Added:       lib      Tag: xml-cocoon2 servlet_2_3.jar
> >   Removed:     lib      Tag: xml-cocoon2 servlet_2_2.jar
> I didn't catch the vote to move to 2.3 at this time, is that
> what we are doing?

Ditto.

> I would have to seriously -1 this if it breaks compatibility
> with Servlet 2.2!

Ditto.

XSL Problems (off topic)

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@sundn.de>.
Hi XSL gurus,

Sorry - off topic but I really am stuck.

I am stuck on a Stylesheet problem - perhaps someone with more XSL karma can
give me a hint what is wrong.

Using the org.apache.cocoon.generation.HTMLGenerator I get the following
XML:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" xml:space="preserve">

</script>

<title/>
</head><body text="000000" bgcolor="c0c0c0">
<form method="get" enctype="application/x-www-form-urlencoded">
<<<

Now I want to write a stylesheet to manipulate the XHTML. My test-stylesheet
looks like this:

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"

<xsl:template match="*|/"><xsl:apply-templates/></xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="text()|@*"><xsl:value-of select="."/></xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="html">
<b>
<xsl:apply-templates/>
</b>

</xsl:stylesheet>
<<

So basically I just want to match on the incoming "html" tag and then do
something. This stylesheet works fine when I test the whole thing in
Execelon Stylus - however not in Cocoon! Everything is configured ok - but
the match="html" is never triggered! Any ideas?

Matthew

Tel: +49-5251-1581-30   [mlangham@sundn.de - http://www.sundn.de]

Cocoon 2 Beta version

Posted by Matthew Langham <ml...@sundn.de>.
Hi Cocooners,

Carsten is off on holiday until the end of the year - so his input will be
greatly reduced until January....which brings me to my main point of this
mail..

..what's with the C2 beta version originally scheduled for the end of the
year?

How far away are we from that? We are getting loads of requests from
potential customers asking how stable C2 is and when it will be released.
Some form of (revised) timeline would help us (and probably others) a lot.

Regards