Posted to dev@apisix.apache.org by Lang Wang <to...@apache.org> on 2019/12/01 12:19:38 UTC

[DISCUSS] First draft version of Apache APISIX of PMC report for December 2019

Hello everyone,

I've just finished a first draft version of the quarterly report for
December 2019.
The The following is the text content, any comments and suggestions are
welcome.

--------------------
## APISIX

APISIX is a cloud-native microservices API gateway, delivering the ultimate
performance, security, open source and scalable platform for all your APIs
and microservices.

APISIX is based on Nginx and etcd. Compared with traditional API gateways,
APISIX has dynamic routing and plug-in hot loading, which is especially
suitable for API management under micro-service system.

### Three most important unfinished issues to address before graduating

1. More committers and PPMC members
2. Branding issues in the documentation, code, website, etc.

### Are there any issues that the IPMC or ASF Board need to be aware of?

None

### How has the community developed since the last report?

- Learning Apache way and its value behind rules, working in Apache way.
- Our Apache website is constructed.
- We have 13 committers and 46 contributors (including 13 committers)
contributing to Apache APISIX.

### How has the project developed since the last report?

The project has been quite health, with more than 88 pull requests, 83 of
them have being merged in November. These pull requests are authored by a
diverse set of contributors. The qq group members of `Apache APISIX
Comunity` has grew to 900 (QQ group is a very popular instant message tool
in China, which has the power to closer the commiter and users. Users who
use apisix could have the ability to seek for help more efficient. We also
suggest and guide them to make issues at github Apache APISIX issues list,
which is be helpful for people who have the same issue and tracking bugs).

Some highlights of recent developments:
- Launched a first apache release 0.9.
- Supported to run apisix based on alibaba [Tengine][1].
- Added advanced debug mode which is friendly to the developers.
- Added new `uri redirect` plugin
- Use an entirely new jsonschema which performance increase by an order of
magnitude.
- Enable HTTP2 support and settings for `ssl_protocols`.

### How would you assess the podling's maturity?
Please feel free to add your own commentary.

  - [ ] Initial setup
  - [ ] Working towards first release
  - [X] Community building
  - [ ] Nearing graduation
  - [ ] Other:

### Date of last release:

* Mon Nov 25 2019 (0.9)

### When were the last committers or PPMC members elected?

* At Nov 28 2019 PPMC members elected a new commiter `@lilien1010` who
worked for HelloTalk.

### Have your mentors been helpful and responsive?
Mentors are responsive and helpful. Things tend to be on the right way.

### Signed-off-by:

 - [ ] (APISIX) Willem Ning Jiang

  Comments:

 - [ ] (APISIX) Justin Mclean

  Comments:

 - [ ] (APISIX) Kevin Ratnasekera

  Comments:

 - [ ] (APISIX) Von Gosling

  Comments:

### IPMC/Shepherd notes:

  [1]: https://github.com/alibaba/tengine/ "Tengine"

Re: [DISCUSS] First draft version of Apache APISIX of PMC report for December 2019

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.
one more thing, Apache APISIX has a busy mailing list, which is deserve to
be counted and appears in the report.

Thanks,
Ming Wen, Apache APISIX
Twitter: _WenMing

Ming Wen <we...@apache.org> 于2019年12月1日周日 下午8:37写道:

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lang Wang <to...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

I just fixed some description about `Is the PPMC managing the podling's
brand and trademarks?
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/December2019#is-the-ppmc-managing-the-podlings-brand-and-trademarks>`
at :
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/December2019#is-the-ppmc-managing-the-podlings-brand-and-trademarks
Please review it and point out possible issues.

Thanks,

totemofwolf

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2019年12月4日周三 下午4:19写道:

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.
Hi, Justin,
thanks for your detailed search.

I looked at these brand issues one by one, the first link is the GitHub
address before APISIX donated to Apache,
and if you click on it, you will be redirected to the Apache incubator[1],
so I think it's not an issue.

The second, third, and fifth problems are caused by no updates after the
APISIX migration.
I will update the information to solve the three problems.

The fourth problem requires yuansheng to transfer luarocks account to
Apache.
This may need to be determined with the apache infra team on how to deal
with it.

The sixth, seventh, and eighth questions are also left by APISIX before
entering apache, I will deal with all of them.

To sum up, these issues can be handled quickly and properly without
external dependencies.

Justin, sincere thanks again.

[1] https://github.com/apache/incubator-apisix/blob/master/lua/apisix.lua

Thanks,
Ming Wen, Apache APISIX
Twitter: _WenMing

Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org> 于2019年12月4日周三 下午3:18写道:

Posted by Lang Wang <to...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

I add a new reply to question:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/December2019#three-most-important-unfinished-issues-to-address-before-graduating-12
with :

More Apache Releases and more committers act as release manager to release
a version

Please check it.

Posted by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org>.
HI,

Fwd: [DISCUSS] First draft version of Apache APISIX of PMC report for December 2019

Posted by Lang Wang <to...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

I've post the Apache APISIX PMC report for December 2019 at the ASAP wiki
page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/December2019#apisix .
Please sign off this document at your convenience.

Posted by Willem Jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lang Wang <to...@apache.org>.
Hi justin,