Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2006/12/21 02:20:56 UTC

[Tapestry Wiki] Update of "SuccessStories" by TomClift

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Tapestry Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by TomClift:
http://wiki.apache.org/tapestry/SuccessStories

The comment on the change is:
added entry for PaperCut NG

  Come on you lurkers! Post your stories here!
   * ChoosingTapestry
   * MovingToTapestry
+
+
+ == PaperCut NG ==
+
+ [http://papercut.biz/products/ng/images/screenshots/printer-list-small.jpg]
+
+ Here at [http://papercut.biz/ PaperCut] we write software to monitor, quota and report network printing and internet usage.  In early 2005 we had decided that our previous product was being constrained by its architecture (not to mention showing its age), and we needed to start afresh.
+
+ We investigated all the usual suspects for web application development at the time and settled on Tapestry 3.  Tapestry's component and event based model was fairly unique at the time, and was a real selling point for us.  The popularity of this model today is testament to the fact that Tapestry 'got it right'.  Our application, [http://papercut.biz/products/ng/ PaperCut NG], has been a huge success and we are still using Tapestry 3
+ to this day (Dec 06).
+
+ Tapestry's component based model made it easy for us to develop components once and use them in multiple areas of our application, even though the initial learning curve and development time was quite steep.  It also integrated very nicely with the other components we chose for !PaperCut NG (Hibernate, Spring, Derby, Jetty, !JasperReports and others).  Making it look great was also quite easy (at least we think so - [http://papercut.biz/products/ng/tour/ see for yourself].  Probably most importantly, our Tapestry code has been easy to maintain.
+
+ !PaperCut NG (and its Tapestry frontends) has been installed in thousands of organisations around the world, with individual installations successfully scaling to databases with millions of records, supporting 60,000+ users and many simultaneous logins.  This was all without sacrificing the relative simplicity of the application, which works equally well on a 5 user network.
+
+ Even with how far the world of web development has come over the last few years, Tapestry 3 still meets our needs and provides us with a solid, attractive and easy to maintain public face of our application.  We are keen to upgrade to Tapestry 5... as soon as we find the time ;)

  == Solis Reports ==