Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Gareth Reakes <ga...@we7.com> on 2012/04/11 09:26:10 UTC

Xerces web site

Hey Steven,

	As Michael says, Xerces is published manually at the moment. It could do with a good bit of cleaning up. I was going to have a bash at that over the coming weeks. I have taken a look at the at the ASF CMS and it does seem a good way to go. At least at the end of it we will have a consistent way of publishing the site thats well documented and would allow new people to come along and change things fairly easily.

	In terms of the look and feel, Michael borrowed the top level new pages from XML graphics (which incidentally does use the Apache CMS although our top level pages currently don't). Gary Gregory from Apache Commons (note, thats not Xerces/XML commons) had some examples of nice skins (including a yet to be published one for commons). He says:

….

In Apache Commons, we are probably going to change the site skin to something like https://people.apache.org/~simonetripodi/commons/

Background thread related to Apache Commons: http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@commons.apache.org/msg25733.html

Also nice Apache sites IMO: https://directory.apache.org/, https://labs.apache.org/

Gary

…..

I am sure he would not mind us borrowing it :) Does anyone have any views/ time to help out with this?

Cheers,

Gareth

On 10 Apr 2012, at 18:55, shathawa@e-z.net wrote:

> Gareth,
>
> The Xerces XML web pages may already be maintained by ASF-CMS.
> This is a front-end to a subversion repository tree that
> is used by Infrastructure svnsubpub.
>
> If you find that Xerces XML is not using ASF-CMS, then
> a svnsubpub registration for those web pages should also
> be done.
>
> The Xalan XML TLP will need to be migrated to a subversion
> directory path and registered with Infrastructure for svnsubpub.
>
> Sincerely,
> Steven J. Hathaway
> Xalan Documentation Project

Gareth Reakes, CTO         we7 - Great Free Music
+44-20-7117-0809                   http://www.we7.com

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - Hunter S. Thompson

Re: Xerces web site

Posted by Steve Hathaway <sh...@e-z.net>.
Michael & Gareth,

 From what I know from Infa is that Apache Project TLP web pages should
be part of svnsubpub by the end of the year.

Software package distribution by the mirrors is a separate issue.

Some of the web publishing tools are already front ends to svnsubpub
where the publishing function makes commits to the underlying svnsubpub
repository.

If as Michael says, the Xerces project web pages are self-contained
builds from the repository, then what we need to do is:

1.  Populate a subversion directory containing the constructed Xerces
TLP web pages.

2.  Then tell Infra where to locate the Xerces TLP web pages in the
repository.

Any new committed changes to svnsubpub Xerces TLP web pages directory
will automatically update the outward facing Xerces TLP web pages to the
world.  Publishing the web pages becomes a simple commit to the Xerces
TLP svnsubpub directory.

If the outward-facing TLP web pages get hacked, all Infra has to do is
to perform a svn update to repair the web page distribution.

I am looking to do the same (1 and 2 above) for the Xalan TLP web site.

Sincerely,
Steven J. Hathaway

Re: Xerces web site

Posted by Steve Hathaway <sh...@e-z.net>.